Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Seriously guys, I don't think people visit Precentral.net to feel bad about their Pre or Pixi. We visit Precentral to learn about the coolest things available for the Pre. I could care less about the stock or sales, I just want to get excited about my Pre. If you can't find any positive things to post, then you guys need to hire somebody who can do a better job at keeping things positive here.
    meh.......I come here to learn about all things Palm and Pre related. Good and Bad.

I find the forum is excellent for BOTH
    it's a forum, we should hear the good and bad...it also allows the opportunity for fixes for the bad...but I do agree, I get tired of the "I'm leaving" threads, etc...but I can easily skip over them...what people really need to is start putting positive reviews (assuming you are happy with your phone) on cnet, amazon, bestbuy, etc as others in the forums have suggested
    I don't like hearing negative news either, but the news is the news. Precentral doesn't make the news, they simply report it. As Joe Friday from Dragnet says "Just the facts"
    I agree with treorock and rlee. On the front page, what is the point of posting negative news regarding Palm, especially when it's all about stocks and speculation and some isolated analyst, and NONE of it based on fact. That news should definitely be a part of the forums and up for discussion, where people like rlee can get the whole story and speculate all they want...but posting such nonsense news on the first page, where a potential new customer who wants to learn about a palm pre or pixie will arrive at after googling to research their potential new phone, is basically detrimental to recruiting that potential customer.

Derek Kessler has been soooo negative re: palm in both the podcasts and his news posts that I'm wondering if it's time for him to move on to another device.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Reality bites, sometimes.

I want it all, it IS a Forum, after all.

There's a place for all of it.

Some say it was the open letter Engadget wrote to Palm, bemoaning how far the the once mighty Palm had fallen, and stating what they thought needed to be done, to "right the ship", that jump-started the whole webOS/Pre/Pixi "thing" in the 1st place.
    Last edited by ToddK; 03/17/2010 at 11:59 AM.
    News is News...give it to me, good or bad. This isn't China.
    TreRock, love the avatar.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I agree with treorock and rlee. On the front page, what is the point of posting negative news regarding Palm, especially when it's all about stocks and speculation and some isolated analyst, and NONE of it based on fact. That news should definitely be a part of the forums and up for discussion, where people like rlee can get the whole story and speculate all they want...but posting such nonsense news on the first page, where a potential new customer who wants to learn about a palm pre or pixie will arrive at after googling to research their potential new phone, is basically detrimental to recruiting that potential customer.

Derek Kessler has been soooo negative re: palm in both the podcasts and his news posts that I'm wondering if it's time for him to move on to another device.
    Exactly my point. The front page of Precentral.net should show the positive news about the Palm Pre. All the fun things that will make Pre/Pixi users love their device and future users feel like they need to get one. The forums is the place where you discuss about anything and that should be always open.

However, the front page of Precentral has turned into nothing, but a place for the most pessimist and negative gossip and rumor section I've ever seen. TreoCentral was never like that. They always kept the good spirit of the Treo, even when things were going really bad for Palm.

I guess Precentral needs to find somebody who loves their Pre to write positive articles about it. In the mean time there is nothing good about the front page.
    Take this from someone who *does* write for PreCentral, but also as my own opinion and *not* anything official or editorial: from what I've seen, the site's front page reports on what is *news*, not just what is good *or* bad news, and often what we write about is sent to us by users. For myself, I am optimistic about my Pre (reminder: I was also selected by Palm as a Real Reviewer before I ever started writing here, and the cost of my Pre and service have been covered by Palm), but then again, I've been optimistic about what my Palm handhelds have enabled me to do since my first Pilot 1000. At the same time, I'm not blind to the challenges Palm faces (and whether or not they're accurate, analyst reports have an impact on the market value and therefore the longterm future of Palm and are worth noting), nor to the limitations of the current iterations of the hardware and software produced by Palm. That said, the Pre still fits my total needs *much* better than anything else on the market, including the iPhones and Android devices, and I'm happy to say so publicly.

Remember that PreCentral is part of a family of news sites devoted to the smartphone world as a whole (look to the bottom of the page if you haven't recently), and the PreCentral team believes in the value of smartphones in general, and in the uniqueness of the Pre/Pixi platform in particular. I valued the reporting of PreCentral long before a review I posted in the forums led Dieter Bohn to be gracious enough to offer me a regular writing gig, and I have even greater respect now for the effort Dieter and the others here make to balance a true journalistic perspective with an equally true belief in the power and potential of webOS.

Again, these are my thoughts only, and may not reflect those of anyone else who writes for PreCentral, but I thought they were worth sharing. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Every platform has its weaknesses but the thing with Palm is that they are in financial trouble and that makes every news posting (especially when it is bad) more painful for all Palm fans...
    jonathan: the "attack of the bugs.." front page post is NOT news. It's just an aggregate of complaints.

some of the issues are facts "pdf view pinch zoom" for example... But most others aren't.

if it was news, you should have contacted Palm and get confirmation.. No comment... Or denial for each of these issues. But there is nothing in the article that infer that you did your (not you but Precentral) reporting work.

I'm all in for freedom of speech and I want do want the bad news when they happens. I also want good reporting and this wasn't.
    With respect, it is news, or at least reporting the fact that these specific issues are occurring in some frequency since the release of webOS 1.4. It provides comfort to some readers that they're not alone or imagining the problems they're seeing. It provides notice to Palm and the carriers in a way that individual calls or emails may not. It also may spark some analytic thinking among the more technically minded, who may not have experienced the issues themselves, about what might have caused them and how they might be fixed (or at least worked around). To me, those reasons more than justify reporting of these concerns. {Jonathan}
    Why is it that some people do not want to here bad things about the Palm Pre?? I Bought this phone so that gives me the right to voice my opinons good or bad.Just look at all the trouble with 1.4 alone, thats news bad news but news. i guess i'm getting sick of people complaining about people complaning.i LOVE the OS but i cant stand the hardware,waiting to see what might be next for Palm with WebOs.....
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcnamara43 View Post
    Why is it that some people do not want to here bad things about the Palm Pre?? I Bought this phone so that gives me the right to voice my opinons good or bad.Just look at all the trouble with 1.4
    alone, thats news bad news but news.
    i guess i'm getting sick of people
    complaining about people complaning.i
    LOVE the OS but i cant stand the
    hardware,waiting to see what might be
    next for Palm with WebOs.....

took the words out of my mouth +1
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I have to say I'm pretty tired of people bashing the phone, saying they're going to drop it for this and that, talking about "Why is Palm so dumb for doing xxx". However, I have no issue with the reporting that goes on the front page. I want to know everything that's going on with Palm and the Pre, not just fluffy stories about apps or whatever.

And as far as the people who can't stop complaining in the forums, they are entitled to their opinions. And when I see a forum called "Why this phone sux" I just walk on by.
    Quote Originally Posted by ukabu View Post
    some of the issues are facts "pdf view pinch zoom" for example... But most others aren't.
    We have multiple emails from lots of people on each one of those issues - the article wasn't written lightly. We're not confirming they're bugs - but basically we're going to be getting it one way or the other right now - if we don't report issues that appear to be widespread, we hear about it. If we do, there are threads like these.

Bottom line for me isn't any particular detail there but that overall there are definitely bugs in 1.4 that need addressing.
    I agree with you guys completely that any news should be reported, good or bad. Maybe though, if it's not too much effort I mean, you could do an only-positive news version of an RSS feed or something, for the people who want to live in their bubble?
    Quote Originally Posted by ukabu View Post
    jonathan: the "attack of the bugs.." front page post is NOT news. It's just an aggregate of complaints.

Your suggesting that other complaints like daylight savings time mismatches and camera overwriting photos are bunk? My wife had these problems and her Pre is 100% stock.

Problems are a fact of life, why wouldn't we allow some threads that reflect that? This forum isn't a Palm vessel to sell more phones...it's a user forum.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Your suggesting that other complaints like daylight savings time mismatches and camera overwriting photos are bunk? My wife had these problems and her Pre is 100% stock.

Problems are a fact of life, why wouldn't we allow some threads that reflect that? This forum isn't a Palm vessel to sell more phones...it's a user forum.
    Nicely put. I have about 5-6 of those "bugs" or "problems" if bugs is now the wrong word to use.
    You can bury your head in the sand and pretend things are all rosy in Palmland, but they're not. I, for one, want to read all the Palm-related news I can, good or bad.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast