Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. vertebra's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
       #1  
    I don't want anyone to take this out of context. Precentral is very informative and the work Dieter, Derek and Keith do is amazing. I enjoy reading Precentral and listening to the podcast.

    Everyone knows how important a good Google ranking is for their business. People don't really look past the 3rd result before they make a decision.

    Precentral is the authority on all things Palm and WebOS. If you look at the first 3 entries you see 2 out of 3 are very negative. I don't know if your average buyer(nonWebOS fan) would take the time to read past the first 3 entries to find out what makes WebOS so great.

    This is worse than both the weird lady and the 80's mother advertisements.

    This order promotes WebOS

    Palm Pre Faq:A Newbie Guide to Your WebOS Device!!! Welcome.
    PreCentral Getting Started Guide
    What Makes WebOS So Special (new sticky)
    Official webOS 1.4 Discussion
    Offical webOS 1.4 Anticipation, Discussion, Features, and Issues
    Official webOS 1.4 Issues
    General Pre Complaints

    I would do the same in the Pixi forum.
  2. #2  
    +1 Good points... no one ever really stops to think about what the first thing is that a visitor sees when coming into the forums.
  3. #3  
    Part of the reason (probably the main reason) there's a complaints thread stickied is so the Palm reps that come through here can find general problems quickly. The majority of brand or product specific forums I visit do pretty much the same thing. I do agree, it can look shoddy, but then again.........we all know the majority of people don't read the stickies, anyway.

    I think its fine the way it is.
  4. vertebra's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    Part of the reason (probably the main reason) there's a complaints thread stickied is so the Palm reps that come through here can find general problems quickly. The majority of brand or product specific forums I visit do pretty much the same thing. I do agree, it can look shoddy, but then again.........we all know the majority of people don't read the stickies, anyway.

    I think its fine the way it is.
    I disagree. Did you ever really try to navigate through this forum? Multiple treads on the the same issues, feature etc. I have more luck navigating through the App Catalog.

    I think the only choice you would have would be to read through the stickies.
  5. #5  
    Yeah, its a pain in the **** just for that reason. People can't seem to read anything from the middle of the page up, or past the first page at all. If they did, we'd have one thread with one particular problem. Too bad it's not realistic to hope for that......the staff does a good job at keeping it down, though. And don't get me started on the search function that nobody anywhere seems to know how to use.

    I've seen much worse, though........try the Playfish forums on for size sometime.
  6. #6  
    I agree with the OP. I think that the forum has a overall negative feel in presentation and tone. Taking a quick look through the forum would not encourage me to buy a Palm Pre. Plus, a lot of the postets get quite negative. Out of all of the forums I have visited, this one may be the most obscene. It can be a turn off.
  7. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #7  
    +1 , Google "Search" controls everything in the world. Precentral should use the keywords and tags to promote good posts.
  8. #8  
    Yeah, I've thought about this lately. I think most of us want Palm and WebOS and the Pre/Pixie to succeed. However, so many negative posts and threads are not going to help. The OP is right. People considering a Palm phone will do a search and end up at PreCentral. And if we continue all the negative threads, we are going to see Palm continue to flounder. No, Palm and WebOS is not perfect, but it's a great product and has great potential and we can help it succeed.
  9. #9  
    I'd say P|C is a user forum, not a webOS advertisement. People come here primarily to solve their problems (at least initially). P|C has no obligation to spin things otherwise. The forum reflects what users are thinking about and posting about.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 03/04/2010 at 09:03 AM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I'd say P|C is a user forum, not a webOS advertisement. People come here primarily to solve there problems (at least initially). P|C has no obligation to spin things otherwise. The forum reflects what users are thinking about and posting about.
    For the most part, I agree. However, the TAGS feature could use some modification/monitoring/adjustment/whatever. Have you looked at some of the tags lately?
  11. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I'd say P|C is a user forum, not a webOS advertisement. People come here primarily to solve there problems (at least initially). P|C has no obligation to spin things otherwise. The forum reflects what users are thinking about and posting about.
    +1
    Exactly, its is a forum not an advertisement of how bad the phone is with "the phone sucks" or "the PALM is dead" or "I am leaving Pre please stop me".

    I take my previous post back , P|C don't have to spin the things , they just have to be neutral that the negatives and positives appear together in the search.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I'd say P|C is a user forum, not a webOS advertisement. People come here primarily to solve there problems (at least initially). P|C has no obligation to spin things otherwise. The forum reflects what users are thinking about and posting about.
    I agree to a point too. However, think of as when you are talking to friends, you listen to their advice and comments over anything marketing or tv ad. It applies to P|C too. If a potential buyer comes to P|C and sees a ton of negativity it is potentially a big turn off.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I'd say P|C is a user forum, not a webOS advertisement. People come here primarily to solve there problems (at least initially). P|C has no obligation to spin things otherwise. The forum reflects what users are thinking about and posting about.
    I agree completely. In fact, it is (paradoxically) the reason that I started coming here for info and interaction. I LIKED the fact that the Pre is discussed openly, warts and all. I took from my initial readings that this place was populated with people who had a real knowledge of the product, were unafraid to openly embrace it, were equally unafraid to address criticisms, and (often) suggest solutions to issues.

    I do NOT like, or trust much, "rah rah" cheerleading sites. I agree that it may not help Palm's marketing. I, also, agree that it is not the purpose of the site.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I'd say P|C is a user forum, not a webOS advertisement. People come here primarily to solve there problems (at least initially). P|C has no obligation to spin things otherwise. The forum reflects what users are thinking about and posting about.
    I agree, people should realize it's a user forum, not an official Palm site. Trouble is, the name makes it APPEAR to be official, and people haven't quite grasped the idea that we have just a small percentage of Palm users here. The ol' if its in print, it must be true factor.
  15. #15  
    I'd say its more of a way to draw users to use the store and sell accessories. Being the premier site for palm homebrew doesn't hurt either in drawing in users.

    In this regard, precentral is obligated to make all customers feel welcomed and post as long as the criticism is within reason...not just blatant flaming.

    Be careful what you wish for though. I've been with various forums in the past where users complain about the complainers. Some of them did run off the complainers and become strict but the funny thing is, the places became ghost towns and died off.

    Noone wants 100% cheerleading all the time. Often its the complaint (or critic) thread that will draw so many looks or interest.
    Last edited by cardfan; 03/04/2010 at 09:12 AM.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    ...the TAGS feature could use some modification/monitoring/adjustment/whatever. Have you looked at some of the tags lately?
    Agreed...they have basically been rendered useless.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  17. #17  
    Hi, I do not own a Pre and I cannot get one until my contract runs out in Oct of this year. My Palm phones have been a Treo 300, 600, 650 and currently I have a centro.

    I therefore, can only follow this forum. I will get a Pre in the fall, in spite of what you call Negitivity of the forum.

    I read both TreoCentral and PreCentral for news and the forums daily, (I also add to the forums quite often).

    I am looking forward to owning a Pre. I have decided to drop my carrier, V, which will allow be to have a new phone in Aug, and dedicded to switch to Sprint, so I have to wait for my contract to expire in Oct. By that time, I expect there will be a new version of the Pre, lets call it the Pre II for the sake of my posting.

    I think the people posting have made it sound so negitive, not the people who run the site. I am sure there is a small % of those who have a Pre and do not like it!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    I think the people posting have made it sound so negitive, not the people who run the site. I am sure there is a small % of those who have a Pre and do not like it!
    Absolutely. If the phone were really THAT bad, Palm would pull it from the market pretty quickly. The 800w was only available for, what, eight months? Granted, they had put the Treo Pro out by that point, the 800w was sorta redundant, but it also got a ton of complaints. I liked the phone myself, but dear God.......people who complain about the Pre's battery life obviously never dealt with the 800w......dead battery in four hours, and you never even used it.

    I run into this at PDF quite often, people who bought a kit and didn't like it. Need to complain. We let it go, it does help the design team fix problems. If nobody says anything about problems, how's Palm gonna know there is one? Aside from a ton of returns, anyway. And it's helped me, somewhat. I knew ahead of time what problems may come up, so I can keep an eye out, and generally there's already either a Palm fix, or a user patch or trick that fixed it.

    I just wish people would stick with one thread, instead of 20 different threads about the same thing. I dunno......seems like quite a few of the issues are from new smartphone owners, coming off a flip phone or querty dumb phone that don't know how to deal with a complex OS. Computers, too. People have a habit of wanting to get something neato and full of features, but don't have much skill in using it, beyond the pre-made stuff, and absolutely no knowledge on repairing a botched install.......plus the idea you can buy a basic system now, and play all the newest games in five years without spending another penny.
    Last edited by fussnfeathers; 03/04/2010 at 09:43 AM.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    Absolutely. If the phone were really THAT bad, Palm would pull it from the market pretty quickly. The 800w was only available for, what, eight months? Granted, they had put the Treo Pro out by that point, the 800w was sorta redundant, but it also got a ton of complaints. I liked the phone myself, but dear God.......people who complain about the Pre's battery life obviously never dealt with the 800w......dead battery in four hours, and you never even used it.

    I run into this at PDF quite often, people who bought a kit and didn't like it. Need to complain. We let it go, it does help the design team fix problems. If nobody says anything about problems, how's Palm gonna know there is one? Aside from a ton of returns, anyway. And it's helped me, somewhat. I knew ahead of time what problems may come up, so I can keep an eye out, and generally there's already either a Palm fix, or a user patch or trick that fixed it.

    I just wish people would stick with one thread, instead of 20 different threads about the same thing. I dunno......seems like quite a few of the issues are from new smartphone owners, coming off a flip phone or querty dumb phone that don't know how to deal with a complex OS. Computers, too. People have a habit of wanting to get something neato and full of features, but don't have much skill in using it, beyond the pre-made stuff, and absolutely no knowledge on repairing a botched install.......plus the idea you can buy a basic system now, and play all the newest games in five years without spending another penny.
    i used to run a forums back in the day on cellphones , nextel in particular.. and ill have you know that the environment is definitely set by the users , however the forums should always have a friendly feel... here on P|C the posters that want to say want they want refer to the ones who want to defend the device and help keep the forum clean the "PreDefense Force" its this split attitude that can diminish the "Fun" factor from the forums.

    I agree that It is not the job of the forum members to moderate the forums bashing newbies telling them to search and leave them with a foul taste in their mouth of the forums... i also agree that people should use the search and complaints need to be condensed into one main thread... this is the "job" of the moderators.

    the point is , that we as forum members are not mods, but as long as we feel that mods are being lax (Not that they are , it is just a perception) than members policing members will always be. to be honest this section in particular needs at least 1 or 2 more mods and they should be active and they should put the SMACKDOWN , for lack of a better word... Not on the Newbies but on the useless flame posts..

    Members that want a clean forum , also have an obligation to click on the report post button and use it accordingly,

    veteran members shouldnt criticize other members about posting in the wrong forums when they themselves post off topic posts in this forum .

    in Short there are Rules of every forum, and they are general and basic, some forums are lax in establishing them and some are strict, but just because it seems lax that does not give members the right to break them. if there wasnt a police force should people riot in the streets?
  20. #20  
    Things have gotten a lot better since 1.4 was released. The weeks before it was getting really ugly in here. Most of the talk was not constructive outside of the specific application/developer type sections. There was a lot of gloom and doom because of the financial news, and then a lot of vague complaining and people posting about how Palm NEEDS to do this that or the other thing. I would much rather hear about new uses for the phone, applications coming out in the future, apps I might have missed.

    This phone is already filled with lots of well thought out design and ideas, its nice when you see more of that instead of the constant comparing to other phones and asking why Palm doesn't do it like another company does.

    People think Palm doesn't listen because of their must have features that most people don't even notice are missing. That is not true though. Palm has listened to quite a lot and put time and effort into improving every single update. They have added and fixed plenty of features, it just doesn't happen the second someone starts complaining about it on an internet forum. It also doesn't help anyone when the general attitude of the threads was demanding, abrasive, and hostile instead of thinking how what they want could fit in with Palm's design and implementation.

    As soon as 1.4 came out though, there was plenty of improvement. A lot of what people were complaining about they had already been working on. People could go back to exploring all the changes and enjoy the phone. I just hope by the time the next update rolls around it doesn't get as ugly as it was leading up to 1.4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions