View Poll Results: Would you like to see an additional member type at 1000+ post if it can be done?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - It would be nice

27 56.25%
  • No - The chair is good enough

16 33.33%
  • Undesided

5 10.42%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Is this a serious discussion? Do you really have nothing better to do but worry about what your title is on a message board?
    any chance of an undead member? j/k
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Love the third choice in the poll: "Undesided"

Do you want it undeside or unthatside? :-)
    Regardless of whatever chest-thumping "title" is awarded to frequent posters, it doesn't take very long to discern whose posts are meaningful and valid, and whose are drivel. Let the content speak for itself.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas89134 View Post
    Regardless of whatever chest-thumping "title" is awarded to frequent posters, it doesn't take very long to discern whose posts are meaningful and valid, and whose are drivel. Let the content speak for itself.
    great point. You can even see your proof in this thead.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    To which I agree and it is most likely the reason why the other admins did not implement this type of suggestion since post counts does not equate expertise since some users simply post just for the sake of increasing post count.
    Well, no one should infer expertise based on post count, title, or even "thanks". As others have said, the content speaks for itself.

There will always be post mongers, even on forums that don't have visible post counts, let alone special titles. haha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Small rewards like titles and the like for dedicated members is definitely something we want to do - it's on the roadmap, but unfortunately not as high on the list as other, more pressing issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Small rewards like titles and the like for dedicated members is definitely something we want to do - it's on the roadmap, but unfortunately not as high on the list as other, more pressing issues.
    I've been around here for quite a while and have never really considered it. I suppose it would add an element of fun, but I've always considered the posting/reading to be its own reward.

I know that I've had my share of helpful (and sometimes not so helpful) posts. They speak for themselves. A title or little Treo icons (while fun) won't change anything for me. But I'm not against the idea as long as it's tastefully done and in the spirit of the Palm and webOS genre we all love.
    Probably the little icons are enough, without encougaging post count chasing.

I guess the icons should be Pre related on Precentral? Tables?
    Last edited by johncc; 02/21/2010 at 04:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    You could get the keyboard for 500 posts and the touchscreen for 1000(numbers are just an example) Agree that the icons are probably the way to go where people could get title happy, wanting to become the Preminator or Prezilla or something like that.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by DSPKweb View Post
    You could get the keyboard for 500 posts and the touchscreen for 1000(numbers are just an example) Agree that the icons are probably the way to go where people could get title happy, wanting to become the Preminator or Prezilla or something like that.
    The problem with only counting posts is that some folks are more talkative than others, but really aren't saying anything to merit the additional icons. I suppose one has to look at what this is supposed to signify: Quality Participation? Dedication? Longevity?

It would be really cool if the icons or titles could be based on a combination of post count AND membership time. That way, a member who has been participating for a long time, but might not have 5000 posts isn't "out-ranked" by someone who has only been around a month or two, but spends all their time posting eight hours a day and has racked up thousands of posts chatting about next to nothing.

It would cut down on frivolous posts (attempting to pad the numbers) because TIME would be a factor and not just post count. That would be more of an indication of who has been around a while and who is truly dedicated. (And no, I'm not saying that "newbies" aren't dedicated. They're just new. We all were new at one time or other.) But time is a great distinguisher.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    You could use post counts (weighted in some way based on "Thanks" received.

I like the idea of using "level names" from some game. Like in the "Space Cadet", "Space Cowboy", and "Space General" in the "Gorf" Arcade Video Game.
    We could come up with an interesting set of name progressions of our own.

"Mobile Accomplisher" has to be in there somewhere (to improve the chance of getting a positive response from Dieter).
    +1 to 'Mobile Accomplisher' title! That's too funny!
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    i feel as though 'thanks' would be the best way to decide increasing a title.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12