14 21.21%
  • No

50 75.76%
  • Undecided

4 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is it just me or does anyone else find that the precentral podcast is a little childish? By this i mean there are way too many childish sound effects/voices and not so funny jokes. While comedy can bring any boring subject to new light, there is a big difference from witty comedy and toilet comedy. And lately there has been more toilet then wit. It often diverts attention away from the real important information and topic that is being delivered. If they could project a more professional attitude towards the topic at hand, they can easy reach their target 60min podcast.

P.S. I know that i will get flamed for posting this topic. But i would really like the podcast to change in a good way.
    Last edited by crazyazn23; 01/02/2010 at 04:34 AM.
    Never had the slightest thought in that direction. I always enjoy it and can't even think what your "toilet" comments would be referring to. No need for any change at all. Keep up the good work, I say.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I respectfully disagree. While, yes there may be comfortable banter between the hosts, I never found it inappropriate. Plus, so much of the content is on topic, a comfortable joke now and then doesn't do any damage.

You want a childish podcast with blue humor? Trust me, they are out there, and this isn't one of them.

Keep up the great work Dieter, Derek, Keith, and all other guests!
    Palm III > Palm IIIx > Palm Zire 71 > Palm Treo 700P > Palm Pre Plus (and loving the heck out of it!!!)
    I agree with crazyazn23. Its the reason why I don't subscribe only once in a while will I give it a listen.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    I like the fact that they keep things light. Makes for an entertaining yet very informative podcast. I say don't change anything and keep up the good work!
  6.    #6  
    If you guys find steve jobs drinking a gallon of "unicorn blood" funny. I don't know what else to tell you! Neither witty nor humorous, they should really take note of gdgt or engadget's podcast. The gold standard!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhfloyd View Post
    I respectfully disagree. While, yes there may be comfortable banter between the hosts, I never found it inappropriate. Plus, so much of the content is on topic, a comfortable joke now and then doesn't do any damage.

You want a childish podcast with blue humor? Trust me, they are out there, and this isn't one of them.

Keep up the great work Dieter, Derek, Keith, and all other guests!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    I like the fact that they keep things light. Makes for an entertaining yet very informative podcast. I say don't change anything and keep up the good work!
    You two beat me to it. I like the tone of the podcast, makes it feel personal and friendly. I learn new things every week and feel informed and up to date, plus I get to laugh along as I'm listening. I don't expect everyone to like what I like, but I personally could not ask for more.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Even if you are right (and I'm not saying you are), then it might be a good thing since it would seem based on most of the posts in this forum that the average Pre user is about 14-18 years old.

I agree that some of their jokes are not funny but I still like the podcast and enjoy their discussions.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Since I don't get most people's jokes anyway, "Yes. I'm the one who laughs 20 minutes later because I just got the joke," I hadn't picked up on the fact that they were bad.

I've found the podcast informative, but now I'll have to go back and see what jokes I've been missing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    I concur, I've listened to an iPhone podcast and it didn't sound much different. Derek,Dieter, Keith and company are dedicated to this platform and keep the info flowing. I am just appreciative of their efforts and that we have a podcast at all dedicated to our palm community.
    Last edited by vza33; 01/02/2010 at 01:12 PM.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Love the cast. Great info.

One suggestion: Don't talk about being geeks. Since most people who listen are PRE geeks or they are working to geekdom. I love your insight.

One more thing: Pacing. You guys are always right on. You know when to put into lower gear and when to step on it. As they say, timing ..... is something.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    i think they r funny
    if u don't like the podcast its probably just not right for u
    u cant please everybody
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Even if you are right (and I'm not saying you are), then it might be a good thing since it would seem based on most of the posts in this forum that the average Pre user is about 14-18 years old.

I agree that some of their jokes are not funny but I still like the podcast and enjoy their discussions.
    Maybe you are right, only 14-18 year olds would find steve jobs drinking a gallon of "unicorn blood" funny. I'm 26, and i find it appalling that these older "adults" can act so juvenile. Fart sounds and whistles do not captivate me! Don't get me wrong, i find their podcast to be very informative but not very intellectually stimulating nor witty.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyazn23 View Post
    If you guys find steve jobs drinking a gallon of "unicorn blood" funny. I don't know what else to tell you! Neither witty nor humorous, they should really take note of gdgt or engadget's podcast. The gold standard!
    Neither witty nor humorous nor offensive to my way of thinking.
    The majority of people that have answered your poll do not agree with your opinion, but hey, you would have never known if you had not ran the poll. I myself enjoy the Podcasts and my only advice to you is that no one is forcing you to listen.
    I'm rubber and you're glue!

Um.

I could explain the joke behind linking Steve Jobs to gadget events to frat parties, how those connections give us an insight into the mind of the gadget-head.... but yeah, maybe a little childish. I mean... ok, so the basic joke is the idea that there are tailgate parties before sports events where frat boys do silly stunts like drinking an entire gallon of milk. The idea of Steve Jobs doing that with a bunch of gadget nerds going "chug chug chug!" is kind of funny, right? It draws a comparison between being obsessed with your gadget hero and being obsessed with your sports hero - the minutiae of stats/specs, the getting crazy excited over an event, and so on. Unicorn blood, well that's over the top, but the long-running joke there is that unreleased gadgets are mythical like unicorns and of course it's childish to say that, but the childishness is part of the joke, see - the conflict between the childishness of the joke itself and the adult skills needed to understand the context behind the joke.

But yeah, not exactly a shining example of excellence in podcasting, I'll grant you that.

I guess that there's always a lot of context. Take my talk about us being 'geeks.' I actually consider that a badge of honor - like I've said a few times on the podcast: if you're not a geek about something, you're not passionate about anything.

FWIW, we do give a lot of thought to our audience - trying to balance giving straight news, providing technical bits, and using a bit of humor to wash it all down. From what I can tell, we have a fairly wide demographic (including, you know, kids), so it helps to have a little bit of everything.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    But yeah, not exactly a shining example of excellence in podcasting, I'll grant you that.

FWIW, we do give a lot of thought to our audience - trying to balance giving straight news, providing technical bits, and using a bit of humor to wash it all down. From what I can tell, we have a fairly wide demographic (including, you know, kids), so it helps to have a little bit of everything.
    Mr Bohn, I just want to clarify that i am not offended by this topic or anything else stated on the podcasts. My only objective was to give my perspective on how the podcast has progressed.(constructive criticism) I feel, as do some other members as well. That a more professional attitude should be adopted and allow the materiel to speak for it's self without the assistance of sound effects and childish voices.
    I disagree....I don't see the podcast as childish, or can think of any "toilet comedy". To me, it comes across as a bunch of guys who are comfortable with each other and banter as they talk about a topic they all enjoy. If it's not to your taste, then you may want to listen to a different one.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyazn23 View Post
    Mr Bohn, I just want to clarify that i am not offended by this topic or anything else stated on the podcasts. My only objective was to give my perspective on how the podcast has progressed.
    I actually appreciate the light nature and I'm a lot older than you, crazyazn23. I'm a bit curious; in your opinion, did the podcast ever meet an acceptable level of maturity? If so, when was that for a point of reference?

If all the humor were removed, I think the presentation would be really dry. For example, listen to The Cell Phone Junkie (TCPJ) podcast. While I really enjoy TCPJ and have listened to it from the start, PalmCast feels much more like a few guys sitting around chatting and in my memory, that's always been the case. I think changing the presentation would come off unnatural and forced.

While I respect your opinion, the topic is a cell phone OS, nothing to be all serious over if that's not the personality of the hosts.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    I actually appreciate the light nature and I'm a lot older than you, crazyazn23. I'm a bit curious; in your opinion, did the podcast ever meet an acceptable level of maturity? If so, when was that for a point of reference?

If all the humor were removed, I think the presentation would be really dry. For example, listen to The Cell Phone Junkie (TCPJ) podcast. While I really enjoy TCPJ and have listened to it from the start, PalmCast feels much more like a few guys sitting around chatting and in my memory, that's always been the case. I think changing the presentation would come off unnatural and forced.

While I respect your opinion, the topic is a cell phone OS, nothing to be all serious over if that's not the personality of the hosts.
    Oh good, now I can add that I'm a lot older, as well, and also enjoy the light nature of the PalmCast (as I noted above).
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast