1.    #1  
    I subscribe to a few forums that let you opt into a list to receive text messages when there is significant news.

So how about an opt in list to receive texts when things like updates are released or new products are announced, etc...?

I would even sign up if it required a small paypal donation. Anyone else? It sure beats checking the news feed every 20 minutes (not that I won't log in 10 times a day anyway).
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
    precentral is on twitter...get yourself a twitter account and it will be instant alerts
  3.    #3  
    I do have a twitter account and I follow Precentral. But honestly, I don't use it much at all. Way too much noise and I would have to keep a client open all the time.

Twitter is just not for a lot of people.
    no you dont have to open a client...

set it to send SMS alerts, and as soon as a twitter update "updates" it will get pushed to your SMS

(same concept as your OP)
  5.    #5  
    yikes! What's worse than a client running all the time? SMS messages buzzing my phone ever ten minutes! That is exactly what I mean by too much noise for me. Others feel differently I know but not me!

That is why I think there is a need for a major news SMS list. That is very different.
    Okay, I am not going to respond further as you are ignorant on the topic. --I suggest you read more on how Twitter works.

My final piece of the pie is: you can SET YOUR OWN alerts for SMS twitter updates (meaning, you do not have to have ALL your twitter updates text you...only the "IMPORTANT" ones as you call it).

I suggest you read up on how twitter works. You can adjust which alert you want text-pushed to you, and those that you dont.

Again, this is exactly what you are looking for...and if you refuse to look into it, then there is no point in teaching a person whom does not want to learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homie View Post
    I subscribe to a few forums that let you opt into a list to receive text messages when there is significant news.

So how about an opt in list to receive texts when things like updates are released or new products are announced, etc...?

I would even sign up if it required a small paypal donation. Anyone else? It sure beats checking the news feed every 20 minutes (not that I won't log in 10 times a day anyway).
    Why not select email notification to a specific thread here on precentral ?
    good advice trim81
  9.    #9  
    If it is good advice I need some additional explanation - preferably without the rude, arrogant and obnoxious tone. Seriously, I made a suggestion and then explained nicely why I didn't think SMS messages via Precentral's Twitter feed matched my request. The response was that I am "ignorant" and that "there is no point in teaching a person whom does not want to learn. "

Trim81 seems to be a personification of the person in my avatar. lol.

So help me understand how to make this work for only major news updates please? Here is the list of SMS options for Twitter:

Twitter Support :: The Official Twitter Text Commands

Now none of us are "ignorant."

You will notice that the closest you can come to "major news updates" is to turn on only SMS from a specific "username." As stated earlier, I don't what to hear about every post as I come to the site regularly anyway. I do not see an option to look for a keyword from a target username.

I searched Twitter and Google. The only way I see to do that is to install a client, have it running on either my PC or phone, and have it look for and send alerts when it finds "keywords." Again, that is not what I am looking for.

I appreciate your willingness to offer suggestions but not your tone or attitude about it. I may be wrong and your suggestion does work somehow. That is fine, but I don't see it. Maybe you could make the assumption that you might be wrong occasionally too?
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcnamara43 View Post
    good advice trim81
    Ditto, that's how I use Twitter to alert me to important info only.

Homie, Go into the list of people you follow. Under the word 'setting', you will see 2 icons against each person. If you click the Left one, it then means any post from that person will be sent to you Mobile via sms, if you are able to have that option via your carrier.

If you only click the PreCentral Icon you will only get messages from them, not everyone you follow.

Further, if you go into your own Setting, you can customise what time you allow sms messages to be sent to you. This stops any coming in during the night :-)
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    What about using a feed reader, such as NewsRoom, and set it to notifications from PreCentral?
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  12.    #12  
    ChasT,

Ok, I followed your directions and set up Precentral for SMS. I appreciate your explanation. BTW, the left most button does not appear unless you have gone through the process of turning on SMS with Twitter including logging in via a series of SMS messages.

The thing is, as I said earlier, this is still not what I am looking for. I only want to hear about MAJOR posts like software updates, a John Rubinstein resignation, "Nokia acquires Palm." That sort of thing.

I do not want to be bothered with a text message when some third party iPhone app makes jailbroken iPhones act a little like a Pre. Interesting to put on a blog but this is exactly the kind of noise I don't want interrupting me all day.

Doesn't anybody else want a text when 1.3.5 comes out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Homie View Post

Doesn't anybody else want a text when 1.3.5 comes out?

I like the idea... and receiving text alerts from every post from precentral's twitter account is not a solution...

Having PreCentral create a new user on twitter and only post "important" events would be. Yet, what becomes important would have to be well defined and would most certainly be subjective.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
  14.    #14  
    Actually, an BIG NEWS from PRECENTRAL account on Twitter would solve the problem for me. Maybe not everyone since most people don't use Twitter but that might be easy for Dieter.
    I like the idea of an RSS reader sending notifications, however we run into the same problem as we do when we set our email to Check Every 15 Minutes -- that is, that our Pre battery goes dead constantly checking online. Whereas, if it was set up to send an SMS or email, then it would be PUSHED to our phone and thus save the battery. I read that Yahoo RSS has notifications built in but Google RSS isn't there yet. I hope they get it soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan3816 View Post
    I like the idea of an RSS reader sending notifications, however we run into the same problem as we do when we set our email to Check Every 15 Minutes -- that is, that our Pre battery goes dead constantly checking online. Whereas, if it was set up to send an SMS or email, then it would be PUSHED to our phone and thus save the battery. I read that Yahoo RSS has notifications built in but Google RSS isn't there yet. I hope they get it soon.
    I have now subscribed to the PreCentral RSS feed using my old Yahoo account. Then I told Yahoo to use my GMail account as my primary contact. When I set up alerts for RSS/Blog updates, it allows me to send them to my GMail account. Since GMail is pushed onto my Pre, it avoids having the battery wear down with constant checking, like it would if I had the Feeds app checking every 15 minutes. Yahoo also allows me to send SMS notifications to the Pre by setting it up as a mobile device. So far, it appears that this method will work out great. By the way, it is emailing the entire article to the Pre via email, not just the header.