Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here is how to find almost anything at PreCentral...

Say you want to find the "Preware" thread. So you click Search at the top menu and type "Preware". There are thousands of threads that mention "Preware" so that is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Here is the trick.
    1. Click Search at the top menu but this time click Advanced Search.
    2. We want a thread with "Preware" in the title so type "Preware" in as your KEYWORD.
    3. Click the drop-down arrow just below and click "Search Titles Only" and click Search Now.

Now the "Preware" thread is near the top of the search results.

Advanced Search also lets you search for posts or threads by a certain user and in certain forums.

If anyone is having trouble finding something, please post it here so that others can help you.

- Craig

For more general tips like this, please see the PreCentral Getting Started Guide
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/04/2010 at 11:25 AM.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Good post

This is how I always search
    I think, for the most part, you are preaching to the choir. However it seams that some people are genetically unable to click the search button.
    Thanx for this thread, but i don't use the search.
    I already know everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Thanx for this thread, but i don't use the search.
    I already know everything.
    Yea, and i taught all i know to dbd, so were on the same boat..

<.<

>.>
    How can I find a decent data plan on Verizon when the pre plus comes out?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    How can I find a decent data plan on Verizon when the pre plus comes out?
    The search is good but not magical.

The guy you want for that wish is at the North Pole.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    You can use google to search a site for you as well.

[instert search query here] site: [Precentral.net(for example]
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLOL View Post
    You can use google to search a site for you as well.

[instert search query here] site: [Precentral.net(for example]
    That's the method I use for most forums.
    http://www.google.com/advanced_searc...net/&hl=en&lr=
    Just call me Berd.
  10.    #10  
    I also use google to find that needle in a haystack here as well.

-Craig
    Google (search query site: precentral.net) works much better than vBulletin advanced search. Its also much quicker.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    A very nice article you have written.I appreciate the helpful information and will tell my friends!
    thanks for having this...but i think that most people already know how
    Yeah, finding threads on this site isn't too difficult. People use helpful Tags; unlike some other sites. I just hate that when we search, that we have to answer a question. I know why it's there, but it's still annoying. Helpful Sticky thread though!
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    If anyone is having trouble finding something, please post it here so that others can help you.
    My problem is I am trying to find out if there is a tweak, patch, or anything to move the launcher icon over to the left. I am left handed and my life is so rough when i need to move my finger that extra inch to hit the icon :P. Anyway, a search here for launcher, icon, left, ect... brings up waaaayy to many results, even with the fine tuning you suggested. Does anyone know where i can find this info, or if it even exists?
    This is how I always search ....
    The way the search works is built into the code of vBulletin, and there are limited ways to optimize the searches of the database since you are dealing with a database size that grows bigger and bigger every day, with every new thread and post.

When you issue a search query by keyword the site goes through all the forums you seleceted looking for those keywords. With so many "useless" threads asking the same question in different forum parts, some answered and some not, the search function becomes useless.

The search by tags , as i understand it , was supposed to relieve some of the stress of these bad searches, however the Tag system is sooooo broken now that its worse.

The problem, IMHO, is allowing anyone to add a tag to a thread after its been created. If the thread creator where to be forced to add tags to his thread at creation this would solve alot. Combine that with the taking away users tag privelges and ability to add a solved title to the thread by mods and OP... and you have a better system IMHO...

just my sketch .42 cents
    @sketch

i would add to that the idea of the mods making major title changes to threads once they settle down. That way a thread called "help me" or "Palm is making me sooo mad..." can be changed to "question about which exercise app people like" or "I'm frustrated by the lack of voice-dialing, is there any word on adding it"...

I understand the need to leave those goofy titles in place when first posted, but changing them when the question is answered or postin gactivity has slowed down would make them more useful to those that follow in the OP's footsteps.

Then the default forum search could be changed to titles only, which would be a MAJOR win.

IMHO

Ps. there is another thread on this very topic that was started in the last day or two. Ironically, I couldn't find it to post a link in this thread...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    @sketch

i would add to that the idea of the mods making major title changes to threads once they settle down. That way a thread called "help me" or "Palm is making me sooo mad..." can be changed to "question about which exercise app people like" or "I'm frustrated by the lack of voice-dialing, is there any word on adding it"...

I understand the need to leave those goofy titles in place when first posted, but changing them when the question is answered or postin gactivity has slowed down would make them more useful to those that follow in the OP's footsteps.

Then the default forum search could be changed to titles only, which would be a MAJOR win.

IMHO

Ps. there is another thread on this very topic that was started in the last day or two. Ironically, I couldn't find it to post a link in this thread...
    heres the thread, my post in this thread is a modified one from the Search thread but its the same , the reason you couldnt find it is because its titled Precentral Search and well theres alot of posts with those words http://forums.precentral.net/treocen...al-search.html
  20.    #20  
    I use the advanced search techniques from the opening post all of the time and never have a problem finding anything.

- Craig
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast