1.    #1  
    Thank you for your years of work and dedication to the devices that we all love and use everyday. Good work. Now, it's time to stop reviewing every dogsh*t leather case and bluetooth headset you get your hands on and affect some change.

EVERYDAY (and i mean EVERYDAY) we need the top article of precentral.net to be a critical review about or an article concerning some malfunctioning or missing functionality of the PALM PRE. We need the first thing that people see when they come to the foremost community on this promising device to be an INTELLIGENT assessment of a specific thing that needs to be fixed.

This must not be some mindless bashing about a stupid "podcaster" or "google talk app". Core functionality; "Too Many Cards", "Please Delete An App", "Video Recording". This needs to be at the top of your article table EVERYDAY.

Only with this persistence and visibility can we make PALM understand how serious we are about this device delivering on the promises it made in January of '09. Promises that turn empty and fall into oblivion with each day that passes.

I'm offering my services as "Functionality" czar but am sure there are others that are qualified to aggregate from the forums these issues and deliver a brief but effective article everyday. There's actually some intelligent offerings in this thread that could be ammunition http://forums.precentral.net/general...e-request.html

Get it done. Now.

detroitkruk
    Last edited by detroitkruk; 11/08/2009 at 09:55 AM.
    Thanks for volunteering. I'm sure any insightful, journalistic submissions would be accepted and considered for publication. I look forward to your new series of constructive articles and the positive change they will affect.
    I think a post like this is much like the posts criticising everything Palm is doing. You know, posts that come from somone who thinks they know how best to change things to "make them work", yet the person making the recommendation seems doing nothing on their own that makes things work.

Dieter, I think Pre Central is fine the way it is. If you turn the front page into the same type of constant whiny rant as many of the threads are, I believe you will destroy it. Palm has made plenty of mistakes in the past, as the fact that they almost ran themselves out of business will attest. TreoCentral remained the most popular web site during all of that without resorting to a Palm/Treo bashing front page mode. I don't see a reason for you guys to change now.

As Scotitude has stated, constructive articles are fine, which I see you guys doing now. Please don't turn Precentral into Rantcentral.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    very well written and voiced! And anybody else?
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitkruk View Post
    This must not be some mindless bashing about a stupid "podcaster" or "google talk app". Core functionality; "Too Many Cards", "Please Delete An App", "Video Recording". This needs to be at the top of your article table EVERYDAY.
    Egad ... talk about "mindless" ... such drama !

Every one of these issues has been addressed, in gory detail and on several occasions, by PreCentral. And, they continue to be beaten to death on a daily basis in the forums (here and other sites including Palm's own support web site). I have no doubt that Palm is working hard to improve WebOS, and no amount of "mindless" carping is going to help them get this work done faster.

PreCentral is the best Palm/WebOS web site I've seen (by far), and I would absolutely *hate* it if their feature article each day was a rehashing of well known issues.

Thanks PreCentral (and Dieter) ... keep up the excellent work.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Dieter, I think Pre Central is fine the way it is. If you turn the front page into the same type of constant whiny rant as many of the threads are, I believe you will destroy it. Palm has made plenty of mistakes in the past, as the fact that they almost ran themselves out of business will attest. TreoCentral remained the most popular web site during all of that without resorting to a Palm/Treo bashing front page mode. I don't see a reason for you guys to change now.

As Scotitude has stated, constructive articles are fine, which I see you guys doing now. Please don't turn Precentral into Rantcentral.
    +1
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Egad ... talk about "mindless" ... such drama !

Every one of these issues has been addressed, in gory detail and on several occasions, by PreCentral. And, they continue to be beaten to death on a daily basis in the forums (here and other sites including Palm's own support web site). I have no doubt that Palm is working hard to improve WebOS, and no amount of "mindless" carping is going to help them get this work done faster.

PreCentral is the best Palm/WebOS web site I've seen (by far), and I would absolutely *hate* it if their feature article each day was a rehashing of well known issues.

Thanks PreCentral (and Dieter) ... keep up the excellent work.
    Agreed. Enough whining. We're all over it.
    detroitkruk

Is there a way to make "Thanked" a negative number??? What an ***!!! Dieter, you have a done a great job, and I for one thank you!
    Last edited by Meltedwire; 11/08/2009 at 12:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    EVERYDAY (and i mean EVERYDAY) we need the top article of precentral.net to be a critical review about or an article concerning some malfunctioning or missing functionality of the PALM PRE. We need the first thing that people see when they come to the foremost community on this promising device to be an INTELLIGENT assessment of a specific thing that needs to be fixed.
    Good luck with that. This place is in a perpetual state of optimistic denial. I even saw someone saying how awesome the apps are recently, which is a strong indication they're drinking the Palm flavored Kool-aid. If you care about the platform, you should be critical of the current weak offerings.

I can honestly picture the platform going down in flames while the staunch supporters are all patting each other on the back talking about how awesome the Pre is. It would not surprise me in the least.
  10.    #10  
    Uh...

Yes. Precentral is fine the way it is. I didn't ask Dieter to overhaul the AWESOME public service that is this site.

Uh...

Right. The issues I mentioned that need daily focus and top placement are NOT remarkable discoveries that I have unleashed to all of you. They indeed are old news. And this is extremely unfortunate.

Uh...

I've never been "thanked". My posts are always spot-on and nearly prophetic in their assessments. No thanks necessary.

Umm...

I didn't criticize ANYTHING in my post. I suggested that the guy who runs this joint use it's visibility to let PALM know what the foremost community on their flagship device has found and is demanding. My suggestion of a daily, intelligent functionality expose' is the best way for this to happen.

The point is this. If everyday the smartphone purchasing world-at-large happens upon a reputable, world-class website that highlights missing or misaligned core functionality regarding the Palm Pre (along with it's usual bounty of product reviews, device-centric news articles, and healthy user forums), you better believe these concerns will receive expedited attention from the manufacturer.

thanks,
    detroitkruk
  11.    #11  
    Meltedwire

Shh. The grown-ups are talking.

detroitkruk
    @ s219 i couldn't have said it any better....
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Good luck with that. This place is in a perpetual state of optimistic denial. I even saw someone saying how awesome the apps are recently, which is a strong indication they're drinking the Palm flavored Kool-aid. If you care about the platform, you should be critical of the current weak offerings.

I can honestly picture the platform going down in flames while the staunch supporters are all patting each other on the back talking about how awesome the Pre is. It would not surprise me in the least.
    if palm goes to pot, anyone who is unhappy will upgrade to whatever more mature more advanced option is available. and if you haven't noticed the articles of late havent exactly been basted in honey, to quote from the most recent
    http://www.precentral.net/psa-palm-w...e-talk-carrier"But, it’s a Pre and it stands a chance of being breaking itself just by you looking at it the wrong way"
    Last edited by windzilla; 11/09/2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: removing the part where i'm a jerk
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Dieter, I want to say that you and your team are doing a wonderful job with Precentral, Kudos! I don't go a day without reading the latest articles and forum posts, and I don't go a week without listening to the Podcast. In addition, this site has made me have more fun with my Pre than with any other piece of technology that I own. Thank you for all your hard work.
    Uh...

Yes. Precentral is fine the way it is. I didn't ask Dieter to overhaul the AWESOME public service that is this site.

Uh...

Right. The issues I mentioned that need daily focus and top placement are NOT remarkable discoveries that I have unleashed to all of you. They indeed are old news. And this is extremely unfortunate.

Uh...

I've never been "thanked". My posts are always spot-on and nearly prophetic in their assessments. No thanks necessary.

Umm...

I didn't criticize ANYTHING in my post. I suggested that the guy who runs this joint use it's visibility to let PALM know what the foremost community on their flagship device has found and is demanding. My suggestion of a daily, intelligent functionality expose' is the best way for this to happen.

The point is this. If everyday the smartphone purchasing world-at-large happens upon a reputable, world-class website that highlights missing or misaligned core functionality regarding the Palm Pre (along with it's usual bounty of product reviews, device-centric news articles, and healthy user forums), you better believe these concerns will receive expedited attention from the manufacturer.

thanks,
    detroitkruk
    Honestly it sounds like you just want to be heard. Why else would this be a new thread? If you didn't want criticism you shouldn't have started a thread like this. This all could have been handled with a respectful private message. But by all means, preach on. However, I would like to see this moved to either off topic or the treocentral/precentral forum.
    thanks for the thoughts, everybody. We do try to keep a balance of critical posts on the blog - but bringing up the same issues repeatedly would get pretty tiresome for most readers.

I do wish Palm would get a LOT of things fixed up more quickly - but I also try to keep in mind that they are doing more with fewer resources than literally any other cell phone company out there.

I have a few other thoughts, but I'm laid up with the flu right now and it's time to take some nyquil and hit the hay.

In the meantime - can we not let this thread turn into a flamewar? There are definitely things to criticize about webOS and Pre and we try to point them out in appropriate levels. Reasonable people can disagree on what those levels should be.
    and I'm noticing that post 1.2.1, this zoom to text field is busting up m.precentral.net 's template. I'll see about futzing with that tomorrow.
    You guys have got to admit...

Dieter is laid up with the flu and he still takes time to reply.

Thanks Dieter.
    Now get some rest.
    Just call me Berd.
    wow @ detroitkruk
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post

So wait, if someone's opinion differs from your own, that means they're a Kool-Aid sipping ******? Just because YOU think the apps are useless doesn't mean everyone does.