View Poll Results: Should users be able to stick threads?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 40.00%
  • No

3 60.00%
  1.    #1  
    I would like to request a feature: the ability for users to "stick" threads so that they stay at the top of the recent posts within a given forum (this would only be visible to the individual user and would not affect other users browsing the forums). This allows users to keep track of threads of interest, reduces the search burden on the site and makes for a more pleasurable browsing experience. On other sites, this is done by putting a link at the bottom of each thread to "stick thread".

Additionally (or alternatively), it would be nice to keep a list of bookmarks of specific posts that are of interest to the user. This could go in the user cp and would be better than "subscribing" because it would not clog email inboxes.
    Last edited by Captain Cook; 10/21/2009 at 03:48 PM.
    If you view the forums via the New Posts links at the top of the page, all of your unread posts will be at the top of the list. You can exclude additional forums if you wish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cook View Post
    I would like to request a feature: the ability for users to "stick" threads so that they stay at the top of the recent posts within a given forum. This allows users to keep track of threads of interest, reduces the search burden on the site and makes for a more pleasurable browsing experience. On other sites, this is done by putting a link at the bottom of each thread to "stick thread".

Additionally (or alternatively), it would be nice to keep a list of bookmarks of specific posts that are of interest to the user. This could go in the user cp and would be better than "subscribing" because it would not clog email inboxes.
    You can also change your subscription settings so that you can subscribe to threads without getting email alerts.
    the ability for users to "stick" threads so that they stay at the top of the recent posts within a given forum.
    If users were allowed to stick threads, everything would be stuck and things would be no different than they are today. The New Posts and thread subscriptions are the best way to stay current with what you want to follow.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle View Post
    If users were allowed to stick threads, everything would be stuck and things would be no different than they are today. The New Posts and thread subscriptions are the best way to stay current with what you want to follow.
    Not so. What I am looking for is the ability to have my threads of interest appear at the top of the forum page, not for me to be able to choose what others see at the top of the forum pages. If users could stick threads in this way, their browsing experience would be streamlined. I've used it in other forums and it works very well.
    I've used it in other forums and it works very well.
    Do those other forums run vBulletin? Can you provide some links?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Sounds like a mod... we may be able to install it if it's not too heavy and isn't too confusing to new users. If you can find out the name of the mod, I can look into it
    Thats a NICE idea! I voted 'no' because I didnt want just anyone making any post that they felt relevant a sticky, but if it just shows up to that individual user, then I am all for it!

While youre pitching ideas, is there a small initiation that we can make new users go through to familiarize them with the rules? For instance, it will take them through a 5-10min demo of how to search (very important), a briefing of the rules (like the 10 post minimum), and other basic functions of precentral. With the amount of people finding their way to the Palm Pre (and other webOS devices), this could definitely cut down on our newbie issues and maybe cut spam down as well.