1.    #1  
    Ok, I know that sometimes a question comes up that has already been answered a gazillion times, and that when 20 people a day start a new thread asking about it, it can get to be a little crazy to sort out the information from all of them, and if you have a good answer, you don't want to have to give it 20 times.

But, like tonight, I posted a thread about the app catalog being down. I knew that the catalog had been down once before, but this time it went down right in the middle of me using it, so I started a new thread just to make sure it wasn't just me having some sort of connectivity issue.

Now, I know that I could have tried posting on one of the existing threads, but those were all about the last time the catalog went down, and have lots of posts, and I know from experience that the chances of anyone responding to my question in a timely manner was absolutely zero.

So, after I post my thread, I get a couple of short polite responses confirming what I had experienced. But then there was a post from someone not too happy about me starting another thread. I apologized, but I was also not happy. The lack of helpfulness smacks of being just rude. At one time I was an wxcited memper of precentral, but I have posted less in the forums because, quite frankly, i'm tired of it.

See, a few months ago, when there was a LOT of discussion about all the duplicate threads and they added the auto-search dialogue to the tjread starter page, there was a whole thread about how all those duplicete threads should be handled. This thread could be a duplicate of those. To those of you who would tell me to use the search feature, please use the search feature to learn acceptable responses.

At the time of this posting, there are over 176,000 threads and over 1.7 million posts on precentral. There are hundreds of new posts every hour, and dozens of new threads every day.

Do we have to get so worked up about just a few more?

Bye, bye Precentral. I'll still lurk, and post on the blog, but my posting days on this forum are over.
    Quote Originally Posted by amateurhack View Post
    Ok, I know that sometimes a question comes up that has already been answered a gazillion times, and that when 20 people a day start a new thread asking about it, it can get to be a little crazy to sort out the information from all of them, and if you have a good answer, you don't want to have to give it 20 times.
    Small disclaimer: I'm just going to answer as directly as possible. Don't take it personally.

You really hit the nail on the head with your first paragraph. Redundant threads on the same topic make it difficult to answer the questions, annoying that you have to keep repeating yourself, AND make it difficult for people who actually take the time to use the search feature to find the information they need without starting another thread, which perpetuates a vicious cycle where nobody get's the help they need.

This isn't specific to this forum. I've been active on dozens of different forums over the years, and only joined this one recently. Using the search feature before asking a question is web forum etiquette 101.

Also, you shouldn't have needed to post in one of the other threads either.

Had you spent half as much time searching and reading existing topics as you spent making your other thread, defending yourself, taking offense, and then starting another thread on forum etiquette, you would have found the answers without having to even post.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amateurhack View Post
    Who really cares about duplicate threads???
    I'd tell you, but I already answered in another thread.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Small disclaimer: I'm just going to answer as directly as possible. Don't take it personally.

You really hit the nail on the head with your first paragraph. Redundant threads on the same topic make it difficult to answer the questions, annoying that you have to keep repeating yourself, AND make it difficult for people who actually take the time to use the search feature to find the information they need without starting another thread, which perpetuates a vicious cycle where nobody get's the help they need.

This isn't specific to this forum. I've been active on dozens of different forums over the years, and only joined this one recently. Using the search feature before asking a question is web forum etiquette 101.

Also, you shouldn't have needed to post in one of the other threads either.

Had you spent half as much time searching and reading existing topics as you spent making your other thread, defending yourself, taking offense, and then starting another thread on forum etiquette, you would have found the answers without having to even post.
    +1
  5. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    A redundant thread about redundant threads.

Genius.
    After a little more thought, I think I'd like to add another point to this discussion.

Some of the forums I go to, like straightrazorplace.com have a large friendly community, and when somebody fails to search, people politely nudge them in the right direction.

On other forums, like this one is sometimes, people do get a little too bent out of shape.

I think the difference has to do with how often it happens. The Pre central forum is obviously growing fast. With so many new members coming in, it happens constantly, and people lose patience.

The straight razor forum I frequent, being devoted entirely to classical shaving, doesn't get nearly as many new members a day as the precentral does.
    The issue I sometimes have is that when a question is asked, the response is "that has been covered over and over, in thousands of threads, go search!!" but after 10-15 different queries, trying to search through hundred+ page threads, and still not finding an answer... then what?

Luckily, I typically figure it out, but its annoying when you forego a post just because you're afraid of getting pounced by the search-mongers...
    Well.

Two different arguements going on here. Big difference between QUESTIONS and COMPLAINING.

Sometimes I feel like the questions could've been found, but, still try to help or answer.

Complaints? Well... you know.... depends on my mood. I flamed a thread earlier and hit some nerves. I mildly regret it until the "you wouldnt do that in person" crap came up, but, at that time, I was very aggitated, so maybe I deserved it.

I do feel we have alot of people SO ANGRY about paying hundreds of dollars for a DUMB phone and well.. they vent. Quite often at that.

I actually saw your thread and responded because I could not back up my phone for the doctor, and then tried the update and it too wouldnt work. I guess this isnt a perfect world and there is no toothfairy.

But there is a Santa, and he'll be bring us the pixie this holiday!