1.    #1  
    This thread is just about what I have observed over my day off and being addicted to pre-central has brought to light. I like many others have been guilty of shooting down others simple questions and being a donkey when they are just looking for help. We should understand that some are just not as tech savvy as others and I feel this number will increase with the release of pixie. So lets try and take it easy on new-comers as this site was created to help the ignorant. Sorry if i've been a douch
    I hear what you are saying for the most part, with some breakdown of the type of posts that seem to spark that kind of mean spirited reactions...

I think that what causes some of the frustration with some regular posters, whether tech savvy or not, is when 1 or more of a few things happens.

When someone posts a question that has been asked over and over again, and is fairly easy to find and search around to get answered. I KNOW this makes some crazy, and just fills the board with repetition.

Another situation that causes upset, is when someone posts a question on 3 or 4 different sections of the forums, hoping that by flooding the board the question would be answered , faster? better? whatever?

Another, that will cause an almost instant reaction, is to post a question, and if its not replied to in 3 minutes, the OP will bump, and reply to their own question in an attempt to gain attention.

The other one, that is my own personal pet peeve, that I have to really work hard at NOT reacting to, is the poster that posts a run on sentence, with no puntuation, no capital letters to begin a sentence, either total mis spellings, or typing in excessive abbreviations, as if in text mode, where extra words cost more??? It is some what maddening to try to understand what that person wants.

And lastly, that the truth of the matter is, that everybody is NOT tech savvy enough to accomplish some of the things that those that ARE tech savvy can and will accomplish. Its just a fact of life. Thanks to our wonderful developers, SOME of the cool things that can be done with this cool device, can be accomplished with a minimum of technical knowledge. But bottom line, is you have to have SOME, and be able to follow directions, and be patient enough to read thru posts to learn.

Maybe if we, that see the type of posts as mentioned above, find a kind, and helpful way to address each one, without the meanness, but WITH a firmness to let the poster KNOW they will do better by NOT doing the above. I really dont think we dont want to help the ignorant, we just dont want to feel like we are banging our heads against the wall to DO it!

Sorry if I have rambled, but I too get frustrated by some of what goes on here. But for the most part, it is really an amazing community, filled with such a talented variety of contributors.

Lets see if we can all be better and continue to get better at making this community, and our WONDERFUL lil PRE's the most fun you can ever have with a cell phone!!

ok, Im done
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Some (any) moderation would help this forum a lot. I don't say this to be mean and there's a lot of good stuff going on here (just look at homebrew). But this is definitely the number 1 forum I've visited when it comes to pointless/*****ing/useless/plain stupid threads. Over here it regularly feels like the Palm fanbase is a bunch of iPhone-obsessed 12-year-olds..
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Some (any) moderation would help this forum a lot. I don't say this to be mean and there's a lot of good stuff going on here (just look at homebrew). But this is definitely the number 1 forum I've visited when it comes to pointless/*****ing/useless/plain stupid threads. Over here it regularly feels like the Palm fanbase is a bunch of iPhone-obsessed 12-year-olds..
    +1!
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    ...NOT tech savvy enough to accomplish some of the things that those that ARE tech savvy can and will accomplish.....
    Sorry if I have rambled,...
    WOW!!! 100% right and did you really say all that? Thank god you smiled. One thing that I have done here and do in other forums is at least welcome the newcomers to the membership.

Then I bang my head
    To be fair, our moderators are all volunteers and cannot be everywhere at once. We can do our part by bringing problems to their attention (privately, not by flaming the poster).

We can also do as dianehelen suggests and be firm with posters who go astray, while also being helpful. For example, I have seen some good responses to the 37th time a question is asked that point out that the question has been asked many times, but that also provide links to some of the answers.
    Some (any) moderation would help this forum a lot.
    Can I ask everyone for some feedback?

Threads that are asking for legitimate help are great. For each one who asks a question, there are probably 500 who will read that thread to see your answer. Do you give them the links they need? Or do you break Forum Guidelines and tell them to search for it themselves?

Each day there are dozens of posts that are just venting. They have no intention of getting help for themselves or to help others. Those are being swept up each day into the General Complaint Thread. Is that helping? If we don't catch them quickly they become bloody fights. Are you reporting those venting threads?

In addition, about a dozen threads a day have titles like "Question". We are correcting these to reflect their true question or point so that they can get the help they need and other users aren't sucked into threads they don't want to see. Is that helping?

There are a team of moderators each working hours each day to keep the forums cleaned up. But with 230,000 users and thousands of posts each day, we can't read them all.

Have you read the Forum Guidelines?

How many posts or threads have you reported? (Just click the triangle icon under the name of the person who made the post.)

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 09/09/2009 at 09:24 PM.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    Can I ask everyone for some feedback?
    Well, I didn't even know the forum was cleaned every day. Honestly, I thought there weren't any mods around here. I think what's really helpful is closing the bad threads. It helps to get the message across.

Just close every thread with a question that has been asked several times and can be found easily. Close lame rants. Close the stupid stuff.. People see the closed threads and get the message. Some people think they can start threads like they post on Twitter over here. We don't need 100 'my Pre died threads.' It happens. Keeping it in one central 'my Pre died thread' would keep it a lot cleaner, for example.

I know a lot of forums people would consider strict. But it helps a lot to keep the forum intelligent.

I do appreciate all the work mods do however. I just didn't know because threads where moved. Thanks and keep up the good work!
    Thanks, but we do need everyone's help.

When you see a thread or post that needs some attention, please don't fight with the person. Just click the triangle icon under the name of the person who made the post to report them. Often this is not the only time they have done something like that.

There are maybe 20 of you who help us. We need a lot more help than that.

- Craig
    i don't mind newbies what i do mind is trolls
    people who come to bash the pre on there first post not looking for answers