Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I didn't know anything about phones until I came to treo central.... thanks for making me a smartphone nerd for life!!!!
    palm m103 > palm m130 > palm TlX > 755p > PRE (FINALLY!!!!)
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    I just found this forum a couple months before the Pre rollout. It has been awesome in helping me decide, 1st of all, whether to switch from my Curve. But it also has been great in keeping me up to date with add ons, and so on (such as the virtual keyboard), which I would have never done before. But all the clear directions have helped me have the confidence to do it.
    I'm a relative newcomer, having joined TreoCentral after I bought my Centro last year. Then I began following the developments of Palm's next generation phone on the forum and found myself in line on 6/6/09 waiting to buy my Pre. As I read on PreCentral about some of the early problems with the Pre, I counted my blessings that I had such a good model -- no oreo, no battery problems.

But now I find that the most helpful aspect of PreCentral is the Homebrew Forum. I would never have had the courage to install applications such as My Tether and WebOS Quick Install without the help and encouragement I received on these boards.

Here's to many more years on these forums.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Wow, I can't believe how long it's been since I first got my Visor Solo as a gift for my 19th birthday in 2000 and found VisorCentral. It has made me a huge Palm fan over the years from the Visor to the Clie to the Treo and now to the Pre. It's been a great site for learning how to get the most out of our devices. Happy 10th and I look forward to many more years to come!
    Where do I even begin?

How has this site helped me?

Let's go back a bit. 10 years ago, I was in 7th grade, I had just heard of this awesome new thing called the Visor with its hardware expansion capabilities and was enthralled - the future was here. Within a week of Marcus's founding VisorCentral I became an active reader. Five months later I became a member and started posting. The next Christmas, my parents, catching on to this insane obsession, funded it with a Visor of my very own. I befriended Marcus and James Hromadka and soon became a moderator and a junior writer (first article was in spring 2001: visorcentral.com >> Stories >> Commentary >> Stowaway in school).

I finally had a hobby. An addictive hobby at that. Throughout high school I became more involved - taking a trip to cover the Treo launch as the new Lead Writer (or Editor?) of TreoCentral.com with my father, and getting to meet Marcus and James for the first times. Soon into high school I was Senior Editor, for awhile taking over and maintaining much of site while Marcus worked to earn a living as a full time web developer after online ad revenue dried up. Marcus launched the store, and within a year we had a business model again post-bubble. While I was a swimmer, and avid IB/AP scholar in highschool, it was my work with TreoCentral that set me apart.

As part of my role as Senior Editor, I had the privilege to travel the country and meet the senior engineers, product marketers, and designers behind Palm, Microsoft, and a handful of other companies, most notably Phil Baker at Think Outside. These interactions inspired me to want to move from the role of a journalist, to the product designer.

And so I set my goals on obtaining an engineering degree. In fact, I based nearly all of my college essays on the work done with TreoCentral/VisorCentral. Somehow that worked, and I joined a brand new unaccredited college in Boston, MA called Olin (Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering) , focused on combining Engineering and Design education with Entrepreneurship and the arts (journalism!).

A year of Olin, and I was ready to build some stuff – I came back to the newly branded SmartphoneExperts as our first Design Engineer, and helped manage the development of some 13 products – 250,000 sales. Marcus, myself, and Andrew Carton did our first trip to Hong Kong to meet our partners on a weeks’ notice – to say it was the time of my life is an understatement.

That summer was a major transition though. SmartphoneExperts had grown very fast, and it was time to make the decision – do I continue my crazy innovative and new engineering curriculum, or do I move to Florida and continue the role that at that time had grown too large to handle. My parents voice strong, I made the extremely difficult choice to stay in school, and at that point stopped most work with the Smartphone Experts community. I am proud to have been able to bring in Dieter Bohn to greatly replace and expand upon my community work – he has done a phenomenal job, and even moved from my hometown in Minnesota to Florida to support our company.

This May, I graduated with my BS in Electrical Engineering and a strong focus in Interaction Design. Two months later, I joined Microsoft on the Premium Mobile Experiences team, in no small part from my work with Smartphone Experts. 10 years later, I’m living my dream, building awesome consumer focused mobile experiences. (you might have heard rumors of my team’s work by another name)

How has this site helped me? It’s given me a solid footing in mobile, a dream to follow, a college education, and a kickass job building awesome mobile products for a company with near limitless resources.

Congratulations to the SmartphoneExperts team, Marcus, especially, and the amazing community here. Thank you very much for allowing me to grow with you.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    There is so much to say about precentral.net

IT KILLS all of the other pre sites out there ! Thats forsure !

The community here is what makes this place ROCK.

Without this place, I dont think the pre would be what it is today.

This place has helped me get my homebrewed apps going , resolve issues (hopefully Ive helped a few people out) and get feedback and insight to pre accessories.
    If my post helped you, Please Thanks Me !
    -sYnOnYx-
    --Pre User--
  7.    #27  
    Aw miradu, you're making me misty-eyed, seriously
    Becuase of PreCentral, I get a lot more out of my Pre. I used to be an average cell user using whatever is given to me but now I actively tweak things around in my Pre and now I am addicted to it.
    TreoCentral convinced me to by a Treo rather than one of it's (lame) competitors. Then, it was the help I got from TreoCentral the turned my "smart" phone into pure genius. Now with PreCentral, the trend continues.
    For me, this was my goto site daily (many times per day) after the Pre was announced. I have continued to watch the tweets, RSS feed, and forum on a daily basis to keep myself in the know when it comes to the Pre. This is definitely the best source for anything Pre related, and the quality of content continues to amaze me. Thank you Dieter (and team)!
    I've been a member of this community for just shy of 6 years and it's been a blast. I've gotten technical help, given help, created mods with members, traded phones, lost at fantasy football, chatted about person loses, won a Palm Pre and so much more.

It has been a great time being part of this community and I cannot say I would know as much about Palm devices or be as big as a nerd without this network. Thank you to all the admins, writers, and editors for your hard work!

Here's to 10 more great years!

Tim
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I have used the smartphone experts communities through symbian, blackberry and now pre phones and have always loved the cutting edge info and honest thoughts on new programs and accessories.
    9 years 47 weeks later and I'm still finding great knowledge on these forums! Great work guys in the main site and to all my smartphone fellow users. Our collective knowledge is what really makes these sites as powerful and useful as they are.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Well what have I not learned about my phone. I learned a ton and I do not think any of it would have been possible with out precentral.net. Applications, rooting, CPU Scaling and more. Also My Tether was a huge Application that changed the way I use my phone and for all I know it may have never been created if it was not for this site which inspired many to go beyond the barriers and made it possible for all of the people to collaborate.

JcLusso
    TreoCentral made my old Treo's what they were: workhorses.

PreCentral is the next generation.

I would not have bought a Pre if it were not for this site.

I have 48 Homebrew Apps that I love that I could not have had without this site.

PreCentral gave me the tweaks to fix a dozen of the issues I hate most about the Pre.

How many of the now 225,000 PreCentral members bought their Pre because of this site? How many kept them because of the help they found here?

- Craig
    Congrats! Precentral more than convinced me to buy this phone, but to convince others and that other 'fruity' companies should suffer and they would enjoy the Palm Pre more.

Thanks for the competition!
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Happy 10th !!

What makes this site strong and enjoyable? Good, honest reporting combined with opinion and humor and lot's of activity and initiatives! I find myself checking in 5 .. 6 times a day to see whats new.

You have taught me a lot about the Pre and have really sparked some excitement!

Thanks, keep up the good work!!
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    You guys do an incredible job of keeping me up-to-date on all things Pre! This is one of the best sites I've ever seen. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I love this site, I always check here before I check anywhere else for news and help. This site really is awesome.
    Unfortunately, since I'm not a techie, I've been a "taker" more than a "giver" on this site.

But I've attempted to help whenever possible.

When I look back, other than solving problems by participating here, I think the biggest benefit has been being exposed to the many 3rd party apps like, 2day, 4cast, TakephOne, TryDA, BackupMan, SafeGuard and others.

Congratulations TreoCentral and good luck to all.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast