View Poll Results: Complaints Sub-forums?

Voters
253. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, complaints are useless

53 20.95%
  • Yes, I hate trolls and apple fanboys

110 43.48%
  • No, I am weird i like reading complaints

34 13.44%
  • No, I am a troll it would be harder for me

10 3.95%
  • I don't care

46 18.18%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    What about a subforum for 755 users who are neither iphone NOR pre fanboys and simply weren't sold on the pre?
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    bump
    Wow, revived after a month. Pretty cool. I said "No" but not because I like reading complaints (though that's what I selected). It's really for two reasons. Okay three.

First and foremost, no matter what you do, people are going to post complaints. It is human nature. We notice things that aren't right and complain about them. And on top of that, there do legitimately seem to be some trolls. So yeah, make a sub-forum for it all you want, it won't keep complaints out of the main forum.

Second, it's healthy to get a balance of opinions. Some of those crusty old PalmOS loyalists are good to have around. In the end, if Palm tries to please them a little, it will help make our device better. Not seeing issues from a variety of viewpoints leads to "the Emperor has no clothes" scenarios. You don't have to agree with them all the time (heck, most of them relish a good argument), but it's useful to try to see things the way they do.

Finally, sometimes people who have complaints come on here and one of the more experienced users offers a tip or piece of advice and the complainee instantly becomes happy and satisfied. Sometimes people are frustrated and they just need one little piece of information to make it all better. In fact, one might almost say that this is one of the primary reasons the forum exists at all: to help transfer knowledge from people who know more to people who know less. Complaints can serve to jump start that process.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I think there are too many duplicate threads, many of which have been addressed already. I have no problems with complaints but they should be placed in a separate section (IMO) for several reasons:

1.The people who need help will be easily identified and not have their posts mingled in with everything else.

2.The people who come in to complain can more easily tell if that topic has already been covered and not litter the forums with duplicate posts.

3.The people looking for answers to certain problems will know where to start. To me this is the biggest plus as it should cut down on the above 2.

4.Easier to control the Trolls. Trolling isn't funny and only hurts the forum.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    bump
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    I feel that it would be a lot more positive, more organized and more constructive to create a sub forum for complaints.
    A lot of problems start with people complaining or trolls and with this sub-forum it would solve a lot.
    P.S. Please place a comment to bump up the thread, thank you
    definately, trolls have been terrible these days. It really started to pick up like 3 weeks ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    definately, trolls have been terrible these days. It really started to pick up like 3 weeks ago.
    You must not have been around in early June; back then this was TrollCentral. Things are much better now.

I think a separate forum for complaints is a bad idea, but some type of forced consolidation would be helpful. You shouldn't be able to start a new thread until you've got ten posts. Or maybe you should have to prove you know how to use Search before you get your license to post.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I agree with G-Money, except you should have like 30 or 40 post before you can start rockin' the house with a ridiculous thread. At least then it'll seem somewhat legit. Although there are a few folks with over 30 post who seem like they've been on troll patrol the whole time. Even if you consolidate, good willing people will still find themselves in the complaint forums, that's were all the action will be.
    for sure, we need a complaint sub-forum, call it the Pre ****fest, no?
    Complaints sub-forum...we need thee now more than ever
    Last edited by VickMackey; 09/02/2009 at 08:52 AM.
    complaints sub-forum....please...we need a trolls sub-forum!!
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    complaints sub-forum....please...we need a trolls sub-forum!!
    that's too blunt
    i like it but its a bit too obvious who can tell who is a troll?
    If a complaint subforum were established, and phanboys went there to heckle the whiners, would that make them trolls?
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    If a complaint subforum were established, and phanboys went there to heckle the whiners, would that make them trolls?
    yes, then we could establish a another board for those trolls. a sub-sub forum
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Instead of one for "Complaints" then why not a "Free Back Massages and Excuses for Why Pre is teh Awesum" subforum? Because that's what the forum "purists" seem to want. A place where positivity is king and no more bad man to make him feel insecure about his new gadget.

That would leave the regular discussion forum to act like a... discussion forum. And if someone feels sad because he accidentally sees a comment by an anonymous stranger about his personal gripe with a product he purchased then he can go "My feelings are in peril! I need to get to the FMBaEWPitA sub-forum, stat!" and read a few "My pre multitasks and shoots rainbows" threads until he feels better about the world.

Makes sense to me.

(And yes, I used "he" intentionally because girls don't get off on playing tough guy against people for having a personal opinion)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Instead of one for "Complaints" then why not a "Free Back Massages and Excuses for Why Pre is teh Awesum" subforum? Because that's what the forum "purists" seem to want. A place where positivity is king and no more bad man to make him feel insecure about his new gadget.

That would leave the regular discussion forum to act like a... discussion forum. And if someone feels sad because he accidentally sees a comment by an anonymous stranger about his personal gripe with a product he purchased then he can go "My feelings are in peril! I need to get to the FMBaEWPitA sub-forum, stat!" and read a few "My pre multitasks and shoots rainbows" threads until he feels better about the world.

Makes sense to me.

(And yes, I used "he" intentionally because girls don't get off on playing tough guy against people for having a personal opinion)
    no i think a complainers/whiners/bought the wrong device without doing thorough research forum would suffice. good suggestions tho
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Wow, revived after a month. Pretty cool. I said "No" but not because I like reading complaints (though that's what I selected). It's really for two reasons. Okay three.

First and foremost, no matter what you do, people are going to post complaints. It is human nature. We notice things that aren't right and complain about them. And on top of that, there do legitimately seem to be some trolls. So yeah, make a sub-forum for it all you want, it won't keep complaints out of the main forum.

Second, it's healthy to get a balance of opinions. Some of those crusty old PalmOS loyalists are good to have around. In the end, if Palm tries to please them a little, it will help make our device better. Not seeing issues from a variety of viewpoints leads to "the Emperor has no clothes" scenarios. You don't have to agree with them all the time (heck, most of them relish a good argument), but it's useful to try to see things the way they do.

Finally, sometimes people who have complaints come on here and one of the more experienced users offers a tip or piece of advice and the complainee instantly becomes happy and satisfied. Sometimes people are frustrated and they just need one little piece of information to make it all better. In fact, one might almost say that this is one of the primary reasons the forum exists at all: to help transfer knowledge from people who know more to people who know less. Complaints can serve to jump start that process.
    This one.

If there's a problem with duplicate complaints (e.g. the battery sucks) then organizing a place to "discuss the battery" might be helpful. I'd expect that subforum to be mostly complaints with some discussion of the third party battery options, rumors about improved power management, hints about power management in the current set up, and more *****ing about the battery. Which would keep a lot of that discussion out of other areas, while still being helpful to those who could use hints on how to better manage the battery life.

There might be a few other topics worth their own subforums. (hardware fragile? I dunno, as I haven't kept up with this forum for a while.)

I think "positively described" subfora, such as "homebrew apps" are generally more helpful than "negatively described" subfora.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

Makes sense to me.

+1

Spot on man.
    I love the Pre, but I've complained about the calendar on this very forum. I won't stop complaining until it gets fixed. Hearing other complaints similar to mine, and finding possible solutions to my complaint, is what the forum is all about in my opinion.

Your poll choices, although very funny, are tipped and unbalanced. You've made the very idea of a separate section for complaints completely uncredible

I understand that some people post erroneous statements and are just looking to make trouble, but the forum should be a place of free expression -- and for the most part -- it is. The information here is quite useful.

Even the complaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    I love the Pre, but I've complained about the calendar on this very forum. I won't stop complaining until it gets fixed. Hearing other complaints similar to mine, and finding possible solutions to my complaint, is what the forum is all about in my opinion.

Your poll choices, although very funny, are tipped and unbalanced. You've made the very idea of a separate section for complaints completely uncredible

I understand that some people post erroneous statements and are just looking to make trouble, but the forum should be a place of free expression -- and for the most part -- it is. The information here is quite useful.

Even the complaining.

Disagree.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast