Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First, I want to say I do not want this to start a flame war. I want honest and respectful information and opinions on how people use PreCentral.net. Please be polite. Moderators: I understand that irony would be served by moving this post to the PreCentral.net subforum. However, I ask that you leave it in the main "Palm Pre" forum so that we can see how people actually use the main forum. Thanks!

I've noticed recently that many posts are being moved from the general "Palm Pre" forum and into subforums. For example, today a post post about bluetooth on the Pre was moved to the bluetooth subforum, a post about ##XXX# numbers was moved into the tips and information subforum and many other posts were moved as well. I understand and appreciate the value of organization and can see that for a user searching for a particular thing this could be useful.

But for me, and I suspect most others, 99% of my time on the PreCentral.net forums is not spent looking for some specific piece of information. It's spent browsing the forums just looking for threads that are interesting. If posts are moved like this I'd have to browse more than 20 different subforums in order to find the threads that are interesting and that's not going to happen. This change makes what I do 1% of the time easier but it makes what I do 99% of the time harder.

I like and read the PreCentral.net forums because there are tons of useful opinions and information in one forum. If you are going to make me search so many different places for useful information I might as well not even bother; I could just use Google.

I think that most users of the forum are like me. They are not looking for something specific, but browse the listing of all threads looking for something interesting to read. All this moving posts out of the main forum makes finding all the interesting stuff much harder. I'm not going to browse twenty something different subforums so if I can no longer find all the interesting information in the main forum I'm going to have to switch to a forum where I can.

I would suggest then that rather than moving threads out of the main forum we could use tags. So users searching for bluetooth information could just search on the "bluetooth" tag but those people just browsing for interesting stuff would still be able to see an interesting bluetooth related thread right there in the main forum. I understand that in a way this would be less organized, but sometimes something that is a little less organized than it could be is more useful and usable.

What does everyone else think?
    Nope, don't agree with you m8. When I stop by PreCentral to find something out I like being able to quickly and easily find what I'm looking for. I'm a admin on a online gaming clan website and am always moving post and threads to the right forum. Sometimes newbe's new to the site just don't realize where to post.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I agree to an extent. I'm not sure the procedure the mods use, but I think something like this would work. Items on the top 3 pages should stay in the main forum, regardless of the topic. Once the action has slowed on those and they hit page four, they should be moved to the appropriate subsection.

That would give the users looking for general info a quick view at numerous types of posts...but also make it easier to sort through or search for specific info. There's definitely a need to categorize the forums. If I have a question on just bluetooth, I don't want to have to wade through 35 pages looking for that one post. The search feature is nice, but can miss things due to the lack of keywords. Having subsections helps during those searches.

But again, for the brand spanking new, fresh off the press posts (top 3 pages), it should be a melting pot of ideas. IMHO.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I think it's about time they did this. It was getting to be ridiculous just trying to find out what was new amongst the people complaining about this, or looking for information about that.

Long time coming, IMO.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Move threads as needed. One big section with numerous unrelated threads will make looking for a given piece of info that much harder.

If you're just browsing threads... I would think you could spare the extra few seconds and mouse clicks to move through each sub-forum.

There is also an option to view "New Posts" at the top if you're looking for that one-stop kinda browsing experience.
    I prefer that mods keep reorganizing and moving posts. Heck a few of my own posts have been moved and it took me a bit to find them again but when I figured out where they were moved to agreed with the decision.
    Have you seen the New Posts button at the top? That might be a better way for you to accomplish the 99% task that you want.

Personally, I'm liking the better organization. I only wish there was a category for stupid posts (no, I didn't mean you--this is a good topic).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Nope, I don't agree with you sir. They have sub-forums to keep the forums on this site clean and organized.
    My suggestion is to start using the SUBSCRIBE to thread option so you can follow the threads that interest you the most and in case there was a movement due to forum clean up, you'll be able to track it.

Holy Run On Sentence Batman...
    Its a tough call. Do you want to come onto Precentral to find something helpful and to see the first page consists of 6 topics that are all "Pre is the suck" topics???

Unfortunately, people dont like to use the search function either, so even topics of asking questions clogs things up. But I understand, alot of people just feel the need to create a new topic for themselves, as they feel they will get replies sooner.

Ive been here since early may, and have created maybe 3 topics so far.
    Carl,

I have been on cleanup this morning so let me address if I can.

We all see a lot of threads that are often almost duplicates of other threads. When you start a new thread, it asks if your post would not be better served in one of those existing threads. Some users then use the existing threads. Some do not. Much of our work today and always is to consolidate the threads into single consistent threads.

The second issue is that the Search link on the top menu bar is so often not used. Search is so powerful it can find a needle lost in any of the forums. The point of Search is not to have to dig through 20 pages in a single forum or 20 forums.

If you are looking for help or information about anything Bluetooth, you should be able to find it in that forum. But I would suggest starting with a Search because it may have been posted in the Palm Pre forum instead.

Similarly, Hash codes have long been documented and discussed in the forum that is now called:

Palm Pre Tips, Information, and Resources

PreCentral tweaked that forum name to make it more clear:
    Check here first for Tips, Tricks, Questions & Answers, Information, and Resources to help you get the most out of your Palm Pre!

Also note that when these threads are moved, a note will remain in the old forum typically for a month, giving you a link to where the content was moved.

Yes PreCentral could put 99% of the content into one forum and you would have only one place to look, but that would be dozens of screens a day to dig through. The multiple forum approach works well especially with the expanded Search capabilities. As others have mentioned, you can essentially move all of the threads into one place by using the New Posts link in the top menu.

Good quesitons. I can tell you that these questions are constantly being discussed and considered. The goal is to get the user to the answer they need with as few clicks as possible.

Thanks,

Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/23/2009 at 01:30 PM.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I agree & disagree - totally. And i'm glad I don't have to make the decision. I really like the forum, but don't like the search engine. So, when i'm hunting for spefic information I will google it which, incidently, leads me right back here - just much, much faster with a higher percentage of successful "search specific" hits.
  13. hec
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Perhaps a compromise would be to create a sticky in the main Palm Pre forum (and/or in each of the subforums) for "Pre Essentials" that serves as an index for various topics, how-to's etc., pointing to threads throughout the site that address specific topics.

Of course, someone would have to take it upon him/herself to update it regularly, so a time commitement would be involved, but it would be rewarding to all. (I'd volunteer, but I don't even own a Pre -- yet -- so I wouldn't be the best qualified.)

As an example, over at PPCGeeks.com, I use the "Touch Pro Essentials" thread quite often when needing to find the latest how-to or this or that....

Here's the URL: forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42730 (can't post links yet, sorry)

Cheers.
    I'm not an avid poster here but do log on daily, maybe I'm missing something here, all I do when I enter the site is at the top of the screen hit NEW POSTS, and it list ALL posts since last log on what could be simpler it list all post usually no more than 5 or 6 pages. What am I missing... Let the moderators do their job!
    I've noticed a lot of threads being moved too. But with a lot of new members joining it's good to set the standards/rules for the forum from the get go.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I for one am tired of people who don't know where to properly post their threads.
    First of all, yes, I just moved this thread to the proper forum.

Secondly, I think that the issue here is that the other forums are not SUBforums, but full forums in and of themselves. The General Palm Pre forum is for general palm pre stuff, but many issues and and should be placed in other places.

It's also an issue of scalability, if and when Palm adds other webOS devices, we want to ensure that webOS issues, app issues, and other things that will apply to multiple devices are not scurried away in the Palm Pre forum.

As the other posters in this thread noted, the best thing to do is to use the "New Posts" feature and also the subscribe feature to keep track of forums -- you can choose instant or daily digests for both threads and forums.

At the end of the day we're just plain getting massive and having everything get tossed into a single forum just isn't feasible.

Seriously, clipcarl, "New Posts" is the best way to browse the forums in the way that you're describing -- it tracks which thread you haven't seen yet, gives you a view of all forums, and works pretty nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by tarhead View Post
    I agree & disagree - totally. And i'm glad I don't have to make the decision. I really like the forum, but don't like the search engine. So, when i'm hunting for spefic information I will google it which, incidently, leads me right back here - just much, much faster with a higher percentage of successful "search specific" hits.
    If I am searching for a specific thing, I try the Search link first but then I do sometimes use Google. Using this link, Google will search just PreCentral.net: Google to search PreCentral.net. That saves me the step of having to enter the site name on Google Advanced.

If I just want to see what's going on everywhere in PreCentral, I click the New Posts link. I hit New Posts several times a day and am constantly amazed by what I find! For instance an app may be in the webOS developer area and not yet in the Homebrew. This way I can see them all.

But note that New Posts will show that there there are 15-25 pages of threads created and updated each day. 99% of those just can't go into a single forum.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/23/2009 at 01:58 PM.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by edoles View Post
    There is also an option to view "New Posts" at the top if you're looking for that one-stop kinda browsing experience.
    Thank you to everyone that pointed out the "New Posts" link. It sounds like exactly what I need!
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    We all see a lot of threads that are often almost duplicates of other threads. When you start a new thread, it asks if your post would not be better served in one of those existing threads. Some users then use the existing threads. Some do not. Much of our work today and always is to consolidate the threads into single consistent threads.
    I understand this but in a way I don't like this. I would rather see and read a new thread that has new information than try to find new information in a 20 page thread. IMO the newer threads on the same topic have a much higher useful information density than the old long threads because people chime in early in the posting with "Oh yeah the answer to this was posted in page #32 of this other thread and this is how you do it." So the newer threads tend to be a more useful evolution of the older threads with all the useless information stripped out. By forcing people to use the older threads you are forcing people looking for info to wade through a bunch of useless posts before the issue was solved.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast