Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I have been following the threads since CES, and I have seen all the negative posts about HW, bugs, battery, radio, etc. In many cases, I have seen nothing like what people are describing. I also know of some people that are paid to post negative comments for a certain products, and other people that post negative comments for the heck of it (since it is the competition). I therefore bring skepticism to these posts, but I also recognize that some portion (majority?) are real.

Am I paranoid? Does it even matter?
    42.7 are real. The other 57.3 are figments of your imagination.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    If you are happy with your Pre I don't think it matters much. I think the complaints are real because numerous people end up confiming the issues. When an issue comes up it is just something for you to keep your eye out for. Things like the twist or oreo effect, battery life, the cracked screens from no reported physical damage and the such seem to be real but sporadic at best. People are obviously a lot more likely to get on here to complain. If everything is fine with the Pre then you probably won't hear about it.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gigaorg View Post
    I have been following the threads since CES, and I have seen all the negative posts about HW, bugs, battery, radio, etc. In many cases, I have seen nothing like what people are describing. I also know of some people that are paid to post negative comments for a certain products, and other people that post negative comments for the heck of it (since it is the competition). I therefore bring skepticism to these posts, but I also recognize that some portion (majority?) are real.

Am I paranoid? Does it even matter?
    To us that live in this microcosm of forumhood these issues tend to resonate more than for the average person. Even though you have to take every comment with a grain of salt, usually people who come to these forums are either 1) looking for answers to problems, 2) complaining/venting, 3) fanboys of one side or another or 4) techno geeks (myself included) that just love these toys. It may seem like alot of people are negative but the truth is this is a very small sample of the actual amount of users/owners out there.
    While thinking about this issue, one might also want to consider how many of these POSITIVE posts are real?

"OMG! I LOVE MY PRE!!!!!!!"
    "PRE IS THE BEST THING EVER MADE""
    "MY PRE IS PERFECT!!!!!!!"

??
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    It's all in your imagination, the negative posts are by Apple trolls, none of them are true.
    Some will lie, because it makes them feel popular. How many friends do you have on facebook? Couldn't care less, but it's important to people. So we must wade through endless threads like this.

I am one to believe that the vocal minority makes it seem that every Pre is bad and defect riddled. Whereas, I believe that the majority are happy with their Pre's, but don't post it because you sound like a freaky fan boy.

"Pre sucks, bought an Iphone"

"Pre is awesome, no problems ever. All the haters are liers"

Oh well, another one to add to the rubish heap. I have several there myself.
    For the people who completely dismiss the problems, consider the source of the following quotes:

""My feeling at this point is that it's pretty clear that there is something either a bad run or something wrong with the design," said Dieter Bohn, editor of PreCentral.net, the largest online community of Pre owners with 170,000 members."

"But complaints on PreCentral.net reached such a pitch that Bohn wrote a blog post about it Tuesday, saying that "it does appear that we may be looking at a rather large set of Pre phones with poor build quality."

Excerpted from this story:
    Palm Pre Customers Grumble About Defects - ABC News
    Alot of the negative posts are fake and written by apple fanboys who get some sort of orgiastic thrill from their love and support of the apple CULTure.....I had heard of apple fanboys before but i never understood the level of their obsession until i brought my pre...Its tough to believe that there are people who would go through these efforts and attempt to poison the well in this way but hey everybody is different!...most real people are not gonna go to some forum and write a loooooooooonnnng goodbye detailing all the reasons why they are returning a phone....especially as a first post....real people just go get the new phone....

then you have the stock market investors who bet heavily on palm stocks to tank....these folks had been predicting palm stock to fall back to $4-5...but it has remained at about the $14-15 level so the short sellers are pissed off at the pre for losing them money...

And it seems as these efforts of pre sabotage are becoming fewer since they are not successful so now we are getting more of the real people with regular problems...
    I'm curious about this as well. I read a thread on here where people were on their 7th pre by this time because of hardware failure. I'm having a hard time believing that people after 3-4 hardware failures would continue on with the same device it doesn't seem logical. I must admit though the pixel failure rate on these devices seems exceptionally high.
    How do we know you are 'real' and not just astroturfing for Elevation Partners?

All the persection comlex having, apple fanboy accusing pretards are getting a little tiresome. The Pre is far from perfect and thus far Palm has been less then forthcoming when it comes to fixing them. This makes people complain. When Apple screws something up, people complain. When dell screws something up, people complain. See how this works? The Pre is not so special that legions of undercover iPhone fans follow its users across the internet in an attempt to put it down get over yourselves.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    okay, waidda minit.

how can one quote "complaints of PreCentral.net has reached such a pitch that..."

and use it as a basis for determining if there are legitimate complaints on PreCentral forums - on a thread questioning the validity of complaints on PreCentral forums - AND then somehow determine that it must be true because somebody read the threads and then wrote about them...

huh?

*let's stop identity theft before it happens!

- wait, isn't it identity theft/not before it happens? isn't that like filling a hole before you dig it? hmm... i'll have to see what ABC's bloggers have to say about that before i make a move...
    There's definitely some percentage of the negative posts that are legitimate complaints from unsatisfied customers. But one has to understand that the phrase "tyranny of the minority" is especially true when it comes to internet forums -- the whiners will *always* drown out the satisfied users even if they're a small percentage because most satisfied users don't feel the need to start threads. I've seen the same phenomenon on sports forums to an even greater degree -- one bad loss and you see the front page flooded with "fire coach X!" threads, to the point that the good guys don't even want to participate in the discussion anymore.

In fact, I think the same has probably happened to PreCentral forums already -- most of the reasonable posters are busy lurking in the homebrew forum and other forums where they can actually find useful info, since there's nothing good to be found in the main Pre forum anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by tarhead View Post
    okay, waidda minit.

how can one quote "complaints of PreCentral.net has reached such a pitch that..."

and use it as a basis for determining if there are legitimate complaints on PreCentral forums - on a thread questioning the validity of complaints on PreCentral forums - AND then somehow determine that it must be true because somebody read the threads and then wrote about them...

huh?

*let's stop identity theft before it happens!

- wait, isn't it identity theft/not before it happens? isn't that like filling a hole before you dig it? hmm... i'll have to see what ABC's bloggers have to say about that before i make a move...

Wha? Where's the confusion? I quoted the editor of Precentral stating that there are complaints, and he also made the statement that he feels like there might be a quality issue.

The OP is asking how many of the complaints are real. The editor of the PreCentral.net must feel like at least some of them are real or he wouldn't have made those statements.

I apologize that you can't follow the fact that the quotes were posted by ABC news. I know they are not a trusted news source
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    but there is not one shred of evidence that supports whether the complaints are real or real/not.

it is an uncontrolled anon virtual world we exist in. i could have as many identities as i wish here. i could, in fact, be you.

to use a virtual nesting ground as a basis for reality is totally unstable. poll the users, as sprint and palm knows each of us by name - and then you will find a true answer to base your or any other's arguments on.

until then, it is really all just noise...
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    By "real", if you mean someone who bought the Pre and had a legitimate problem with no previous fanboi agendas, I would say 10% could be real.

The rest are knuckleheads.
    IMO the battery, dropped calls, heat, and some hardware issues happen on every phone. But the people that are on their 3rd or 4th pre maybe stretching the truth a bit. My main grips about the pre pertain to the calendar/tasks apps, no bluetooth file transfer, video recording, no docs to go, no ptunes and a fully functional cut/paste. All those issues are available on the centro aka the cheap phone. Those are legitimate complaints which leave you scratching ur head since they are currently available on palm's older phones.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    If none of them were real, and virtually no one actually had a phone that needed to be exchanged for any reason, I'm sure Palm would be releasing actual return numbers. It would be easy for them to blow the lies out of the water. (The actual numbers appear to be on par with other phones, which is not terrible but also not anything to brag about.)

Like reviews for every product ever, a disproportionate number of people with extreme experiences are motivated to make posts. That's true both of the people with problems and also the people for whom it was great. The people for whom it was pretty moderately good, or sort of ok, are less likely to post. So you do see an exaggeration and the only thing to do for it is discount the numbers a bit.

But are they real? I would wager that the large majority of them are real, yes.
    I've noticed that several of the negative thread are created by someone with a very small (<5) post count. They'll ask a question about a very well known missing feature or issue of the Pre (for example: "How can I forward text messages?"). Then you'll never hear from that person again. I'm pretty sure threads like that are fake.

If the person starting the thread has already been involved in other discussions, then most likely the thread is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I've noticed that several of the negative thread are created by someone with a very small (<5) post count. They'll ask a question about a very well known missing feature or issue of the Pre (for example: "How can I forward text messages?"). Then you'll never hear from that person again. I'm pretty sure threads like that are fake.

If the person starting the thread has already been involved in other discussions, then most likely the thread is real.
    damn apple fanboys
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast