Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35
  1. #21  
    You think n00bs read this stuff? FAIL.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  2. Tyndall's Avatar
    Posts
    198 Posts
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    #22  
    I was offended by the OP, until I saw he incorporated a smiley face icon in the body of his post. Once I saw that I realized that this guy is the only poster in these forums who knows what the hell is going on.

    I'm following him outta here.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Yes it is. Above is where I tried to apologize for the inconvenience but I must not have made it clear enough. Sorry.
    No problem here, I was just messin' with you. The whole thread brings a smile to my face. I love irony.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by huynhc View Post
    i think once this honeymoon phase with the phone dies out, the forums will be more manageable. right now with this influx of new users, its sometimes hard for them (myself included a couple weeks back) to contain their excitement/hate and they end up making duplicate/irrelevant threads.
    I think you nailed this one pretty good. I've been a member of this forum for years. I can't recall exact numbers (and there's probably some way to find it, but the combination of MyLazy/LowImportance precludes me bothering) but up until about January, the forum pretty regularly ran 400-500 users at a time. Now, it's unusual to find less than a 1000 during the day, and it stays in the 400-500 range late into the night.

    The Pre has definitely "picked up bidness" all around.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by amateurhack View Post
    some forums are more usefil than others. That depends upon what you are looking for, and how the mods choose to run it. On a forum of this size, there is no use complaining about duplicatr threads; it's just a matter of life. The way the search functions work on most of these (vbulletin) forums makes it more frustrating to try and find useful informatiom, IMO, so I just would rather lurk around until I find what I need.
    Quote Originally Posted by daisyrunr View Post
    Searching is not a solution. It's a Pre forum. Why do I get all kinds of threads about the Treo whenever I do a search. It seems like it searchs TreoCentral as well as Precentral.

    So the first day I post something I get someone who thinks they're the forum police griping about it. I know another Pre website that has a really big forum, I'll just start using that one from now on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    The search could be better. IT does take much more time searching then just making another post...
    Most if not all of the examples I used were mainly items that pertained to placing posts in the wrong forums. A very few were duplicate posts that I have seen 1000 times and items that could have been searched beforehand. I could agree that it is not easy to check 10 different sub forums but since the forums are currently set up this way why not follow the rules?
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    You think n00bs read this stuff? FAIL.
    I would agree. I more just thought it would be interesting to see how many threads in one day are not in the right spot or such. There are a lot. Case in point. This one.
  7.    #27  
    This is fun. Maybe if I keep replying to this all of the n00bs will read this.




    Probably not though.
  8. #28  
    Looks like Dieter and the mods are taking some action. Lots of threads moved out of the Pre forum and they posted some changes in this forum. Good job.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    The search could be better. IT does take much more time searching then just making another post...
    The search works great if you know how to search, just use relevant keywords, and try using the advanced search to limit things to specific forums, or to search titles only.

    It won't kill you to RTFM either.

    -n8
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    The search works great if you know how to search, just use relevant keywords, and try using the advanced search to limit things to specific forums, or to search titles only.

    It won't kill you to RTFM either.

    -n8
    I'm sorry, but his type of post drives me nuts. Rude, and insulting, no helpful information.

    Now to teach you something, there is a difference between relevant and useful. The search is geeat for giving you page after page of posts or threads that contain the keywords you enter, within the parameters you select, but a lot of those posts are not useful for what the searcher is actually looking for. So, the results may be relevant to what I'm looking for, they may not be relevant to my uses or needs.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by amateurhack View Post
    The search is geeat for giving you page after page of posts or threads that contain the keywords you enter, within the parameters you select, but a lot of those posts are not useful for what the searcher is actually looking for. So, the results may be relevant to what I'm looking for, they may not be relevant to my uses or needs.
    Read this if you need to learn how to search: Google search basics : Basic search help - Web Search Help

    You could always use Google and include
    Code:
    site:precentral.net
    Most people suffer from not really knowing what they're looking for. Which is why Microsoft is promoting a search engine that supposedly does the thinking for you, which IMHO is exactly NOT what we need. To me that's just another excuse for people to not think.

    -n8
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    Read this if you need to learn how to search: Google search basics : Basic search help - Web Search Help

    You could always use Google and include
    Code:
    site:precentral.net
    Most people suffer from not really knowing what they're looking for. Which is why Microsoft is promoting a search engine that supposedly does the thinking for you, which IMHO is exactly NOT what we need. To me that's just another excuse for people to not think.

    -n8
    Yes, I am familiar with Google's advanced search features. The one that I find most helpful (on Google) is the ability to search for an exact phrase by putting it in quotations. But in reference to the OP, google may do you no good as it may be several days before a post on precentral.net shows up on google. You would then make the assumption that there wasn't a thread like what you were looking for, when in fact during the previous 48 hours, there were 16 started. And even in terms of google, it is seriously difficult to find real relevant information. They have made one drastic improvement in that you can now search within the results that they give you, (which is something that infoseek used to let you do back in the day, but no one else has had that since) but you still may have to sort through pages of results before you find what you re looking for.

    Look, I'm not saying that one should not use the search feature before posting. All I'm saying is that even if they do, there will be duplicate threads, and when there are, others that are aware of the other thread should be polite and helpful towards that person in finding the other thread and the information they need. Admins may combine the threads as they see fit, and then all of the problems are solved.

    Why does anyone have to get so testy and upset about duplicate threads? Are you really hurt by them? If you are really bothered by that, then go start your own forum, and make sure you castigate anyone who dares post a duplicate thread, and give it a couple of years and see how many people stick around continue to contribute.

    If it were me, I would come down very harshly on those who treat newcomers to my forum rudely just for asking the same question as someone else.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by amateurhack View Post
    Yes, I am familiar with Google's advanced search features. The one that I find most helpful (on Google) is the ability to search for an exact phrase by putting it in quotations. But in reference to the OP, google may do you no good as it may be several days before a post on precentral.net shows up on google. You would then make the assumption that there wasn't a thread like what you were looking for, when in fact during the previous 48 hours, there were 16 started. And even in terms of google, it is seriously difficult to find real relevant information. They have made one drastic improvement in that you can now search within the results that they give you, (which is something that infoseek used to let you do back in the day, but no one else has had that since) but you still may have to sort through pages of results before you find what you re looking for.

    Look, I'm not saying that one should not use the search feature before posting. All I'm saying is that even if they do, there will be duplicate threads, and when there are, others that are aware of the other thread should be polite and helpful towards that person in finding the other thread and the information they need. Admins may combine the threads as they see fit, and then all of the problems are solved.

    Why does anyone have to get so testy and upset about duplicate threads? Are you really hurt by them? If you are really bothered by that, then go start your own forum, and make sure you castigate anyone who dares post a duplicate thread, and give it a couple of years and see how many people stick around continue to contribute.

    If it were me, I would come down very harshly on those who treat newcomers to my forum rudely just for asking the same question as someone else.
    While duplicate posts are annoying, I always try to give the answer, direct them to the other post(s), and remind them to try search first. That way they have the answer, know where more information can be found, and maybe can benefit from search in the future. I find this to be the best way for me to approach it.

    Also, my original and most annoying complaint was that threads were posted in the wrong forum and not necessarily duplicate threads. I included a few duplicates but most were posts in the wrong spot, including this post originally. Even today there are multiple threads that have been created that are definitely not in the right spot. Oh well.

    However, I do agree that being rude to duplicate posters is not acceptable. In fact, being rude in general seems definitely unnecessary.
  14. #34  
    I'll throw my 2 cents in here. Redundant posts can sometimes be annoying but I think it is best to leave the moderating to the moderators.

    Sometimes a new person might not know exactly what they are searching for. Also, for us that really like the phone and want it to succeed, it is going to need to appeal and sell to non-techie people as well. That may mean they are new to internet forums as well. It is probably best to cut them some slack. Yes there are times when the person just expects to be spoon-fed and they'll need to learn to help themself. But I don't think we should be too quick to assume that.

    Also, now that the pre is being announced for release in other countries we might expect to see more people coming to the forums and some of them might not use English as their first language.

    To me it just makes more sense to be welcoming and helpful and to at least point in the right direction. Threads can be reported to mods and they can deal with them as they see fit.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    While duplicate posts are annoying, I always try to give the answer, direct them to the other post(s), and remind them to try search first. That way they have the answer, know where more information can be found, and maybe can benefit from search in the future. I find this to be the best way for me to approach it.

    Also, my original and most annoying complaint was that threads were posted in the wrong forum and not necessarily duplicate threads. I included a few duplicates but most were posts in the wrong spot, including this post originally. Even today there are multiple threads that have been created that are definitely not in the right spot. Oh well.

    However, I do agree that being rude to duplicate posters is not acceptable. In fact, being rude in general seems definitely unnecessary.
    Thank you for echoing my sentiments, and my comments were not directed specifically to you (yes, I referenced the op, but my comments were in response to some of the others), so please accept my apology if you were offended.

    I understand that you were making sarcastic humor of the whole thing, and I will not debate the appropriateness of that (I've been known to be more than a little sarcastic at times.) Hopefully we can all learn to be a little more self-moderated.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions