Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I'm sure when the majority of you folks read the title you immediately grabbed your armor and your weapons and got ready for battle, no doubt. I'm afraid I'm going to have to disappoint you a bit.

I found treocentral a couple years ago when I purchased a 755p. The forum for the 755p was a wealth of information. Whether I somehow managed to turn a feature off without knowing it - or, on one occasion, turn my fab phone into a brick, there was always somebody at the forum to pull me out of the hole I dug for myself.

I maintained a vigil on that forum because I didn't want to miss a newly discovered feature, or miss out on a great software review. It is a great forum full of helpful people.

Were there some flamers?
    Were there come complainers?
    Were there some helpless idiots?
    Sure.

But at that forum, they were the minority.

Every thread on this forum degrades, somehow, to my dad can beat up your dad - and it gets very tiring.

Honestly, when you look at the huge quantity of threads here and pull out the threads that are not "people slinging snot at each other" based - you might have have ten or fifteen threads out of 185 pages of threads. I don't doubt they were probably started by the folks that run the forum.

And search a thread? Are you "search the threads" dorks serious? First, if somebody on the 755 thread did a post without a search - he would get an answer and he would get a nudge.

At Pre? Usually a bratty remark (typically from a newbie) and that is all. Honestly folks, EVERY SINGLE THREAD TURNS INTO EVERY SINGLE THREAD - THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME CONTENT. THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME CONTENT. THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME CONTENT. Did I mention that all of the threads here have the same content? So, search. Really, search. I dare ya...

This forum has no true value.

It has turned into gossip column/complain based/chat room.

PreCentral lists the number of members & guests at the bottom of the page. Look at the numbers and take a guess at why the guests outnumber the members by 2:1. Care to guess why that is?

I do not want to sell you a phone.
    I do not want to tell you how much your phone sucks.
    I do not want to try to figure out why you spent so much money on something that has yet to be tested on a human grid.
    I do not want to sit and wonder why you are moaning and groaning in public about your inability to research and evaluate a situation, and take control of your problems.

I am not your mother.
    I am not your father.
    I am not any relation to you.
    I am not a priest.
    I am not Palm.

That being said, have at it boys and girls...

I'll come back in a few months, after most of you have gotten bored or died off...

Thanks for nothing.

Thumbs up to treocentral & precentral for the forums - shame the pre forum spun out the way it did.
    Sadly, I've noticed this seems to be the trend on most forums these days (perhaps even worse with tech-related ones).
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    This same thing goes on in the Crackberry Forums, most notably in the Storm Forum.
    Apparently you've only been to a total of 2 forums. Here and the other palm forum. People need to learn how forums work and after a while people do get tired. You have really mistaken if the other palm forums is the same everywher else.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djshack View Post
    Sadly, I've noticed this seems to be the trend on most forums these days (perhaps even worse with tech-related ones).
    This is also the trend in politics, Hollywood, news media, you name it.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarhead View Post
    ...Thumbs up to treocentral & precentral for the forums - shame the pre forum spun out the way it did.
    Amen brother. Thanks for post.
    My Evolution
    Palm Pilot
    Palm V
    Clie N760C
    Treo 650
    Centro
    Pre
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    A guests:registered ratio of 2:1 is pretty darn good, actually.

However, I agree that the signal-to-noise ratio on these boards is terrible. There is valuable info, but way more garbage. I would love to see some strict moderation. I've been on other boards where half the posts here would get you banned, whether for baseless (and thus useless) speculation, for asking for information already available in a sticky post, heck even for grammar that looked too much like a text message. It doesn't need to be that strict, but some warnings might help.
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    I think it has to do with the increasing amount of people gaining their identity or self-esteem from the marketing of the products they use and the perception that any product that competes or is better than their product somehow is an affront or an attack on them as individuals.

Dr. Horatio B. Palm, eminent psychologist, puts it this way, "Much of the vitriol we see in today's online tech forums comes from the ever-increasing trend of materialism that extends into individuals becoming technophiles in the true sense; feeling love for their gadgets. Once crossed over into technophilia, these individuals often take any criticism or competition to their gadgets as affronts and react severely, oftentimes on public forums, chat rooms, etc. The term 'Fanboy' is often used to refer to these techophiles."
    It goes along with Palm's new target audience. If you want the fat middle, then expect some of them to dumb down the forums.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    I have been around here for a long time as a lurker and as an occasional poster. The amount of the crap that fills the Pre forum is sad. There are a lot of great members here, but it seems some just spew crap 24/7.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It goes along with Palm's new target audience. If you want the fat middle, then expect some of them to dumb down the forums.
    Totally agree with this.

These forums could use some serious moderation, IMO.

About 30 threads in this forum could be turned into 2 or 3 threads, or at least subforums.
    I recently joined after buying my Pre, and I have to admit its a little rowdy in here but it will tapper off.... And I already have, and hope to continue to find useful information here!
    Quote Originally Posted by djshack View Post
    I blame the iPhone. Its all Steve Job's fault.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I don't think that it will lessen any- every forum is plagued with it.

PersonA- Hey i just bought this phone today, why can't I do this?
    PersonB- Man we've asked about that since launch, stop asking.
    PersonC- Buy an iPhone
    PersonB,D,E,F- @PersonC nazi
    PersonA- man you guys are tards I hate this phone, im swapping to a GoPhone.

Ive found lots of useful information on here as I hope others have and will continue to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
    I think it has to do with the increasing amount of people gaining their identity or self-esteem from the marketing of the products they use and the perception that any product that competes or is better than their product somehow is an affront or an attack on them as individuals.

Dr. Horatio B. Palm, eminent psychologist, puts it this way, "Much of the vitriol we see in today's online tech forums comes from the ever-increasing trend of materialism that extends into individuals becoming technophiles in the true sense; feeling love for their gadgets. Once crossed over into technophilia, these individuals often take any criticism or competition to their gadgets as affronts and react severely, oftentimes on public forums, chat rooms, etc. The term 'Fanboy' is often used to refer to these techophiles."
    I think there's some truth to this (although I disagree that there's anything wrong with "materialism," since we very much live in a material world). If you analyze things, I think you'll find that much of the conflict is around how the Pre compares to the iPhone--perhaps the most iconic example of a product that people have integrated into their identities.

And that, itself, makes sense. Consider how Apple markets themselves. For years, we've been subject to the Mac v. PC ads, which basically imply that anyone who doesn't use a PC is fat, staid, out of touch, and, ultimately, stupid, while anyone who uses a Mac is cool, trendy, superior, and, ultimately, more intelligent. That's Apple's entire gig: they spend millions of dollars to make people think that the Apple clique is the cool one, and you're either in it or--horrors!--you're not.

Add that to the usual trolling that you'll find in any tech forum, and I agree that it's become a real problem. I personally find value in the forum, but not without working at it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I think there's some truth to this (although I disagree that there's anything wrong with "materialism," since we very much live in a material world). If you analyze things, I think you'll find that much of the conflict is around how the Pre compares to the iPhone--perhaps the most iconic example of a product that people have integrated into their identities.

And that, itself, makes sense. Consider how Apple markets themselves. For years, we've been subject to the Mac v. PC ads, which basically imply that anyone who doesn't use a PC is fat, staid, out of touch, and, ultimately, stupid, while anyone who uses a Mac is cool, trendy, superior, and, ultimately, more intelligent. That's Apple's entire gig: they spend millions of dollars to make people think that the Apple clique is the cool one, and you're either in it or--horrors!--you're not.

Add that to the usual trolling that you'll find in any tech forum, and I agree that it's become a real problem. I personally find value in the forum, but not without working at it.
    True, true.

I also see nothing wrong with materialism: I'm a true-blue gadget lover, but I don't "lo-o-o-o-o-o-ove" my gadgets. lol.

You're spot-on right about the Apple vs PC marketing and the perceptions it has crafted.
    Yup. It's just a sign of the times, I'm afraid. If you want to see this on a much larger scale, head to digg.com or reddit. I too, remember the days where people on tech forums were.. nicer? Honestly, I think a lot of it has to do with the age median on tech forums now. Back in the day, you probably had a much more "mature" audience than what you have now.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Couldn't agree more with OP. I'm more of a lurker but have been visiting TC/PC for years and have at times gotten very valuable insight and answers. Some of you people blow me away with your insights and creativity - the hackers are "Bat Man". I admit, though that usually my help came with an ***-whippin from the detractors. I always try to search first and I'm good at thinking through a search, but the threads all blurr and become useless, or at least impossible to query effectively. We have to have discipline to keep the thread on theme.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarhead View Post

Every thread on this forum degrades, somehow, to my dad can beat up your dad - and it gets very tiring.

Honestly, when you look at the huge quantity of threads here and pull out the threads that are not "people slinging snot at each other" based - you might have have ten or fifteen threads out of 185 pages of threads.
    I agree there's more snot-slinging than I'm interested in, but I still find the forums very valuable. I figure all the warfare is here because some people get off on it, but it's easy for me to skip over it.

The title of most threads tells me immediately, "Go elsewhere, there's no value here." So I just move on and only sample ones that seem relevant. When I search for something, I can usually find one or more threads with useful input.

I started here on the Treo 600 thread, and maybe it was a little bit kinder and gentler back then, but the biggest difference I'm seeing is the size of the crowds here. All these people must be here because they want to be.
    It's the Howard Stern fans. Blame Lynn Fox.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast