Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Alternative title: The Borg thread is assimilating us all!

Putting everything in the "The how to thread - questions about things you just can't figure out" thread is a bad idea. We might as well put everything into single a "Palm Pre" thread.

I was dismayed to see the thread on how to increase ringer volume lumped into the middle of the how to thread. The search facility of this site is not good enough to pick up the exact relevant messages; it only shows which thread might be relevant. I think you've effectively hidden this information from everyone.

We should have a separate how-to thread for each type of thing being done. The utility of this Pre forum is dropping fast.
    Last edited by jtlapp; 06/07/2009 at 11:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    The other problem with the clumping approach is that it no longer keeps related posts together. For example, in the alarms thread one person posted some great new alarms and explained how to load them onto the Pre. I later discovered that you could put alarms in /alarms and they would be made available to the alarm clock. Had I made this discovery after clumping the alarm thread into the how-to thread, the /alarms trick would be hidden way down beyond the discussion of alarms.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    I am so ready to bail PreCentral. The other implication is psychological. We feel some ownership and responsibility for certain threads. This clumping business kills that. I sure hope you can undo the damage.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Does anyone else give a damn? I feel like my babies were taken away, my projects prematurely ended. What sense is there walking into a room to talk about a subject with a thousand people talking about a hundred different subjects? I want rooms for specific subjects, uninterrupted by discussion of other subjects. That's what threads are for.
    It makes a lot of sense. I figured I put up a post to let you know other people do agree with you. It's just a matter of someone just taking the initiative and starting a thread. I highly doubt if anyone one would get upset if there was seperate threads started that was not in the 'how to' thread
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by el_dheeb View Post
    It makes a lot of sense. I figured I put up a post to let you know other people do agree with you. It's just a matter of someone just taking the initiative and starting a thread. I highly doubt if anyone one would get upset if there was seperate threads started that was not in the 'how to' thread
    Thanks. Actually, my problem is that threads I'm working on -- each representing a project focused on a particular problem -- are getting stolen from under us and thrown into a place where everybody is talking about a million things -- into the How-To thread uber-Borg. It's impossible to hold a focused conversation under those circumstances; projects are ending.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    Putting everything in the "The how to thread - questions about things you just can't figure out" thread is a bad idea. We might as well put everything into single a "Palm Pre" thread.

I was dismayed to see the thread on how to increase ringer volume lumped into the middle of the how to thread. The search facility of this site is not good enough to pick up the exact relevant messages; it only shows which thread might be relevant. I think you've effectively hidden this information from everyone.

We should have a separate how-to thread for each type of thing being done. The utility of this Pre forum is dropping fast.

So much word on this. Thank you for getting angry enough to post about it. I was only angry enough to delurk for one post.

But yes, that thread is asinine.

We might as well print out an instruction booklet and randomly order the sentences. I don't know when/what post is referring to a specific topic.

That thread is an abomination of ridiculous clunkiness....
    I thought this was a Pre forum, not a Blackberry forum! Am I right? Who's with me!
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    cencom14 is also concerned about having moved the ringtones thread into the Borg thread (posted in the Borg thread, where it is detached from the subject under discussion):

Quote Originally Posted by cencom14 View Post
    Jtlap,

You got it. That was a great step by step guide! Thanks for laying it out so neatly for everyone. I still can't believe Palm put such low volume mp3's on the Pre! Thanks for all the thanks. I am happy I could contribute to this great forum.

To the mods, not sure why you moved my thread to this one? This is a mess. You can't follow what anyone is talking about!
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Another concerned member vents on the Borg thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Oo Batman oO View Post
    Yeha this thread pissed me off. Very sloppy! If they would of followed my suggestion of temporarily disabling this forum and making temporary sub forums for different topics with out naming anyone "palm pre" ppl would post where they should. Now I'm havving trouble looking for the ringtone volume thread which was a masterpiece. they can try to me or say we are doing the best we can. But if you aren't going to make it better, leave it alone. And do remember, what you think is better isn't always better. Have meetings, polls, etc.
    I agree
    Have you tried PMing the mods before you decided to get this angry over it?

It's amazing how much ronbo, berd, and Maz will actually listen to you and pretty much respect what you prefer... if you give them that chance, but moderating is a weird beast... this thread can come off as an attack just as much as you felt attacked by them moving and merging and trying to create order (personally I agree with you, some threads need to stick around on their own, especially ones like that).

However, it doesn't change the fact that you could have gone to them behind the scenes... as far as you "bailing", well that's your call, but I think Dieter and Co have proven in the last few weeks that they can handle this flow of traffic and the onslaught of a product launch as a premier information website.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Have you tried PMing the mods before you decided to get this angry over it?
    I sent emails to Deiter and Derek, polite emails. Haven't heard back yet.

I started this thread when the thread I and others had been working on suddenly disappeared and showed up merged in with the Borg. It was no longer possible to help people with the issue or find better solutions. We still hadn't posted a simple solution for the Mac yet (though we had a non-simple one).

So I'm rightfully upset -- venting is appropriate -- and I should be thanked for being constructive about it. I have made no personal attacks, and I remain hopeful that PreCentral will do the right thing. I am, however, trying to motivate others to share my sentiment, so it doesn't look like the concern is mine alone. But you're right that it's premature to talk of bailing, and I apologize for that.

It's as if our conversation was spontaneously and intentionally deleted without warning. How would you feel and react to that? Wouldn't you wonder why you're bothering?
    Last edited by jtlapp; 06/07/2009 at 11:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Threemileallan also explains why "anger" is sometimes necessary:

Quote Originally Posted by Threemileallan View Post
    Thank you for getting angry enough to post about it. I was only angry enough to delurk for one post.
    I'm not sure that I've expressed anger so much as distress, but clearly anger, when constructively applied, is an important motivational tool. If you're not upset enough about something, you sit on your **** doing nothing. The moderators gave me a pretty good prodding.
    I am reading this on a mobile version but not exactly getting the whole prospective on the issue at hand. Rather than discuss this here, can someone PM Dieter and myself and suggest how we can handle this better.

Thank you.
    The anger in these forums lately is very concerning.

Anger at Palm for not giving an SD card.
    Anger at Palm for taking so long to release the Pre.
    Anger for People Posting that they saw a Pre in a Commercial.
    Anger for Sprint for no SERO.
    Anger for so many threads about the same thing.
    Anger for moving threads to the appropriate forum.
    Anger for merging similar topics.
    Anger for Rant threads.
    Anger is now repeatedly being directed at Forum Staff.

You guys have really got to cool off.

Staff here is volunteers.
    They don't deserve this public beating.
    Just call me Berd.
    Ok,

I think I can get the important ones restored.

Working on it now.
    Just call me Berd.
    Just call me Berd.
    Okay guys,

There seems to be something really strange that happened.
    A whole slew of threads got merged into that 'How To' thread, all at about the same time.

It doesn't look as if it was intentional.

I extracted the valuable "Increase Ringer Volume" thread and made it a Sticky.

I've closed the 'How To' thread temporarily to try and sort things out.

If there is a Topic/Thread that you want Restored that got merged into that massive "Borg" just PM me.

We are terribly sorry for any frustration this may have caused,
    Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    Additionally, PM or email on moderation issues instead of posting about moderation complaint publicly in the future, jtlapp.

Thanks to Berd for resolving!

Closed.

-Dieter