Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I don't know about you guys but the Pre Forums is jam-friggen packed!

Just thinking, is there a way we can make it more usable, like creating another click from the umbrella of Pre. I know some would oppose this but I think it may be necessary in making it more usable...
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Isn't there one already? Not sure what you meant.
    I'm not opposed to creating more sub-forums in principle, but would need to have them be very clear and obvious so new users can find them easily and know exactly where to post.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    I agree with the OP. The Pre forum should be split into sub-forums. What about just using some of the section titles that are in use on the main forum? Like "Software", "Hardware", etc.?
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Anyone got any other ideas for categories that we could run with?
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Quote Originally Posted by NINnerd View Post
    I agree with the OP. The Pre forum should be split into sub-forums. What about just using some of the section titles that are in use on the main forum? Like "Software", "Hardware", etc.?
    You mean split the Pre forum further? There is already the group of forums for software underneath that are the following:
    - Gen Web OS Chat
    - Web Apps and Software
    - Web Apps Review
    - Web Apps Development
    under Hardware forums contains:
    - Pre
    - Eos/Pixie
    under Accesories contains:
    - Pre Accessories
    - Pre Bluetooth
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I honestly reckon the "How to.." could become a sub forum.
    The accessories under Pre rather than separated would be good, people have been posting accessories in the Pre forum. I've take the first page and categorised the topics of all the threads below. Let me know what you think.

So what about:
    > General
    - How is everyone carrying their pre?
    - Palm Pre useful tips and shortcuts
    - Palm pre vs iPhone: My impressions
    - Battery is getting better!
    - My Palm Pre Review.

> Faults/defects
    -I BROKE THE USB COVER and it feels good

> Sales/Network
    - I'm on the waiting list

> Software (at risk of being flamed)
    =subthread= The HOW-TO/FAQ thread - questions about things you just can't figure out (this thread is difficult to navigate through and could do with a break down)
    - New App: Evernote
    - Can you get EAS working?
    - Rss on the pre...
    - Email notifications at night
    - Who has Imported Contacts into Gmail for the PRE?
    - Which apps do you want on the Pre ASAP?
    - Doctors and the Pre
    - Dear Palm, please put a date/time stamp on messages
    - Ringtone Maker
    - Pre crashes or screen goes black on call....
    - Calendar Question

> Accessories
    - Body Guardz protection review
    I know that the traffic is enormous lately, but sub forums are really only necessary to accomodate a category that some users would not be interested in, and I can't think of a sub-component of the current forums that fits into that category. On second thoughts, one for the whiners would be good
    Thanks guys, the moderators and the big boss (Dieter) are putting their collective minds together (sort of mind meld) to come up a new forum format which will help address these suggestions.

Just keep your ideas flowing through.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I think part of the issue is that right now, since the Pre is the only WebOS phone out, most people are just going into the Pre forum to post WebOS questions because for the most part Pre = WebOS and vice versa. I know that's not really the case, but its what most people think.

I think a stickied "I don't like/Am not getting/returned the pre becase...." thread and a "I love/I'm getting/I'm keeping the pre because...." thread would help a lot as it would siphon those threads into one of those two. Lock and close any that start outside of it and merge them in there. Possibly a "Physical Issues with the Pre" sticky to go along with the "Bug" sticky. That'd cut down on the vast amount of battery, pixel, etc threads that are 5 or 6 posts long and all say the same thing.
    I vote for a 'how to' category.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    I think everything will calm down in a few weeks.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Even if other phones get Web OS, I still think the Pre section should be split up into sub-forums. It's super messy how it is now. I would do that for any phone that has its own section.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    I don't even use the subs. I go to main page and from there i click "forums" and then "Todays Post"
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    I think everything will calm down in a few weeks.
    +1 (kinda...)

Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I think part of the issue is that right now, since the Pre is the only WebOS phone out, most people are just going into the Pre forum to post WebOS questions because for the most part Pre = WebOS and vice versa. I know that's not really the case, but its what most people think.
    I think you're right, people at the moment only think "Pre=webOS" because in essence it does. Maybe it's just to early to separate "Software" from "Pre"?...

Also Deiter, could you integrate TreoCentral forums in PreCentral, I know at the moment you want to separate them but it's so much easier on the eyes and nicer to browse them on the precentral layout.

I know you can just add the string but I regularly use the Centro forum on TreoCentral while I'm very interested in the Pre for example.. It's no fair that TreoCentral includes new (Pre etc.) stuff but PreCentral doesn't include older. I see how you've gone for the simplistic/tidy approach so maybe you could have to navigate to another 'page' but at least for it to be accessible via, and veiwable on PreCentral.net.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    I vote for a 'how to' category.
    That is a great idea.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NINnerd View Post
    Even if other phones get Web OS, I still think the Pre section should be split up into sub-forums. It's super messy how it is now. I would do that for any phone that has its own section.
    It's messy because the moderators, if there are any, are not doing their jobs. Most of the posts are repetitive, or of little to no value.

But heck, maybe they want it to be so, so that they can claim they're the biggest Pre forums out there. Being the biggest doesn't necessarily mean it's an useful one.

For once, users should be encouraged/forced to use the search function more. And meaningless posts should just be wiped clean to keep the signal-to-noise ratio up.
    Last edited by bugking; 06/17/2009 at 10:55 AM.
    What a discouraging, inconsiderate thing to say about us volunteers

Members can just as easily help out.
    Point people to helpful threads, create FAQ, etc.

I have lost so much personal time; merging, deleting, and moving posts. All for what? unappreciative people like you?
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Like it or not, I'm pointing out the fact.

Lay down the hammer, take the gloves off, let the users know that junk posts WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT WARNING. Recruit more moderators, maybe temporary ones. For a short period, post counts will fall but so what? Those useless posts can goto another forum and will not be missed. When newcomers see that the forums are well-managed, they'll be more likely to behave themselves. OTOH, if newcomers see that the forums are a mess, they'll be more likely to post idiotic crap, just like me.

Sorry, I just love this too much to see it descends into a junkyard.
    Quote Originally Posted by bugking View Post
    It's messy because the moderators, if there are any, are not doing their jobs. Most of the posts are repetitive, or of little to no value.

But heck, maybe they want it to be so, so that they can claim they're the biggest Pre forums out there. Being the biggest doesn't necessarily mean it's an useful one.

For once, users should be encouraged/forced to use the search function more. And meaningless posts should just be wiped clean to keep the signal-to-noise ratio up.
    First, Moderators are VOLUNTEERS and they're working their behinds off. I've been away at a seminar and a vacation but am back and we're working on trying to do a coherent forum reorganization to help.

If you see a post that you think ought to be part of another thread, I'll repeat what I posted in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post

With the issue of duplicate threads - there's a balance to be made and we're trying to strike it in the face of a huge uptick in forum activity. This means helping teach new users to search before they post, merging threads where appropriate, and finally learning to accept that sometimes there will be threads that theoretically could/ought to be merged but aren't for various reasons like subtle differences in topic, timeliness, and so on. We've added three new moderators to the team to help deal with the extra traffic.

Basically, when there's a new thread that ought to be part of an old thread, the ideal reaction is this

1. Hey! Welcome to the forums!
    2. Your topic has actually been addressed already. It's best do to a search for an existing thread to post in instead of starting a new thread.
    3. [Report the thread so a mod can merge it]
    4. Here's the thread for your topic: LINK

...3 is a little time consuming and 4 too, so they're a bit more optional but very helpful.
    we're also considering the plugin that offers suggested threads before a new one is created, but honestly it's such a huge resource drain that it's probably not going to be possible.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast