Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Thanks very much for the infraction, I appreciate it very much.

I would wildly suggest:

- Do NOT allow newcomers to post until a certain days have past. Most of the idiotic posts are from posters with post count <10. Okay, this is an entirely unscientific figure that just comes up my mind.
    - For users with post counts <15 (the number is again, arbitrarily determined), ask them to answer 10 basic Pre/WebOS questions before allowing them to post.
    - For newcomers (okay, I don't even want to think again a number), posts have to be moderated before appearing publicly, either by moderators or...
    - By other users, when a user posts, ask him/her to validate another post, a post have to have a certain number of "yes" before publicly published.
  2. joelpalm
    Quote Originally Posted by bugking View Post
    It's messy because the moderators, if there are any, are not doing their jobs. Most of the posts are repetitive, or of little to no value.

But heck, maybe they want it to be so, so that they can claim they're the biggest Pre forums out there. Being the biggest doesn't necessarily mean it's an useful one.

For once, users should be encouraged/forced to use the search function more. And meaningless posts should just be wiped clean to keep the signal-to-noise ratio up.
    < edited by Dieter >

Quote Originally Posted by bugking View Post
    Sorry, I just love this too much to see it descends into a junkyard.
    You joined 9 days ago, yet you "love this [forum] too much to see it DESCEND into a junkyard"? Seriously. I have been part of an awesome forum and have never really seen a problem in the forums until you have come along, < edited by dieter >
    Last edited by joelpalm; 06/17/2009 at 03:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    bugkings posts here here and here were all uncalled for. It's a pity some people don't know how to communicate with respect, thanks for the ban.

I'd like to direct the mods attention here again. Also if you have enjoyed your experience at precentral.net please voice your thanks in the same place.

Back on topic, ronbo2000 has asked to keep ideas flowing for an alternate arrangement, please post if you've got ideas!
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    My personal opinion is to not sub-categorize things too much, that also makes things confusing.

I like the idea of a separate accessories sub-forum which we already have. As apps become more and more available at that point might be a good idea to create a third-party apps section as well.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I've been noticing people putting their posts in other forums like this in general chat, maybe it's because Pre forums is too busy?

I don't know but I think the forum can only get more and more busy as Palm rolls out its major ad campaign and gets replenished levels. When it is opened up to Verizon (and possibly others) in the new year, things will only get more hectic. Plus the release of the Eos in the mix (when ever that is) will also add to the fun!

@ gabbott, I take your point, simplicity is very important for usability but due to the traffic volume at the moment we're moving in the opposite direction of simplicity.

Maybe it's a vBvBvB $limitation$ $which$ $makes$ $it$ $more$ $complicated$ $than$ $it$ $needs$ $to$ $be$?
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    One sub-forum that might be worth considering is Sprint Service or some such title, encompassing billing, reception etc which don't relate to the Pre itself. Not of a great deal of interest to those of us outside the US who will never be with Sprint, or even those within the US waiting for other carriers.

And by the way, thanks to the moderators and admins for all of your good work. Much appreciated. It must be a good place to be given the amount of time that I spend here (the ignore list helps).
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Thanks goes out to the mods and admins! The Pre section already looks better!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Love your work in the Pre forums, hopefully it doesn't take to long for people to adjust.
    the volunters on this site are great. period. no more to say (other then thank you)

I agree w/ OP. the forums have been 'hit' and have become very difficult to use. (i've pretty much stoped posting / reading since the pre release)

Another suggestion:
    Bring the Twiki / wiki back. I belive we had a treo twiki on the top of Treocentral for some time. This is a godd time to bring it back. Maybe we can put a link to it fromthe forums and that can be the how to

Another suggesditon:
    Slickdeals.net has a wiki for each forum. It can be edited by anyone who posts in the thread. maybe something similar would help. something were key informaiton can be added at the top of the thread. Check out there forums.

(i'll try and thinnk of some more idea)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    PS - Restricitng the ability for new memebrs to create new threads is a good idea. This will help push new users to search. I belive there are other sites that do this.
    da Gimp

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    PS - Restricitng the ability for new memebrs to create new threads is a good idea. This will help push new users to search. I belive there are other sites that do this.
    I can see both side of this...

Just on another forum which had a search bar smack bang in the center of the page above the forums. It hit me, how many new users are here that just haven't spent much (or any) forum time prior to joining?

Many probably don't see the search link which is much more important than though next to the calendar, some silly people probably don't even see it. Even if it was just like the post new topic button on the right of the page, it would bring it out from the less important parts of the site. I think a solid search field would be the most effective, people are now used to search fields in their browser.

Mods and Dieter you do a fantastic job! Just make sure it doesn't cost you your health.
    I don't know about the wiki. I have suggested it too as it would be great to consolidate knowledge. But according to Dieter (first blush) it requires too much work. Dieter has not really pursued the matter.

If you guys are willing the push it through, email Dieter with the wiki request.
    Quote Originally Posted by brum View Post
    I can see both side of this...

Just on another forum which had a search bar smack bang in the center of the page above the forums. It hit me, how many new users are here that just haven't spent much (or any) forum time prior to joining?

Many probably don't see the search link which is much more important than though next to the calendar, some silly people probably don't even see it. Even if it was just like the post new topic button on the right of the page, it would bring it out from the less important parts of the site. I think a solid search field would be the most effective, people are now used to search fields in their browser.

Mods and Dieter you do a fantastic job! Just make sure it doesn't cost you your health.
    ok - u convinced me. making the search feature one of, if not the most prominent feature in the forums would do alot of good.

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    I don't know about the wiki. I have suggested it too as it would be great to consolidate knowledge. But according to Dieter (first blush) it requires too much work. Dieter has not really pursued the matter.

If you guys are willing the push it through, email Dieter with the wiki request.
    Hmmmm .... We don;t need to many folks. we can even think of guidlines as to who can update. Will think of some more idea sand post here before pushing it
    da Gimp

It's time consuming, but frankly some are in need of discipline. Complaints, experiences, musings and ponderings need to be controlled. Something like a 10-day suspension on threads that have to be moved or deleted.

I think people who have working devices are not getting use, and those with problems have to search pretty extensively to find what they need. Right now, it's hard to find useful tidbits without search.

Just an opinion.
    The most recent categorization is MUCH better. The synergy category shows people simply don't search.
    Can we have a defective Pre problems subforum? to include: power no longer working, oreo twisting slider, dead pixels, white blotches, screen dead, pre randomly stopped working, buttons stopped working, screen randomly cracking, etc?

just a request. thanks.
    Last edited by allthewayhome; 06/30/2009 at 04:33 PM.
    I second this
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    iJaculate somewhere else
    Quote Originally Posted by allthewayhome View Post
    to include power no longer work, oreo twisting slide, dead pixels, white blotches, screen dead, pre randomly stopped working, buttons stopped working, screen randomly cracking, etc?

Seems like almost half the threads about this and it's a little much.

just a request. thanks.
    Are you freaking kidding me? Am I on crazy pills here people? You have got to be joking. Please tell me you are. Please tell me you are joking.

Main Page

Hardware

Software

Maybe I'm wrong but aren't those forums labeled as such and intended for such posts. I really think I have taken some crazy pills or everyone else has lost their common sense pills.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Are you freaking kidding me? Am I on crazy pills here people? You have got to be joking. Please tell me you are. Please tell me you are joking.

Main Page

Hardware

Software

Maybe I'm wrong but aren't those forums labeled as such and intended for such posts. I really think I have taken some crazy pills or everyone else has lost their common sense pills.
    srry, i could swear i see them on the main forum all the time (not being sarcastic). I guess next time i see one i can suggest an alternative spot for it. thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by allthewayhome View Post
    srry, i could swear i see them on the main page all the time (not being sarcastic). I guess next time i see one i can suggest an alternative spot for it. thanks.
    It's cool. Also, if you feel like the software one specifically does not address where you should post, there is a general webOS software chat. The reason you see them on the main page is because everyone is posting them there incorrectly.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast