1.    #1  
    Fellow Precentral/Treocentral/SPE forum members:

I think I first started posting here shortly after I bought a Treo 600. (I don't know why my post count reset, but my join date has remained.) I ran into snags here and there using it and always found the forum to be incredibly helpful. As I learned more, I found myself being able to chime in and help newer users along. It felt like I was giving back to a group that helped me out as I was starting.

A community.

So here we are at the cusp of what is undeniably a landmark moment for Palm. There are at times thousands of people on the forum here, where for years before we would only see double and low triple digit numbers. The interest in Palm and the Pre is truly incredible, and we're all excited.

Understandably though, many among the thousands of people now on our forum are new. They may have only heard of the Pre weeks, or even days ago. They haven't been checking for updates and pouring over information for months (or years!). They don't know as much as some of the vets. They may not have the best understanding forum decorum. They may start new threads asking questions that have been answered 100 times before, and some may find that frustrating.

Looking at the new posts from today, I've seen an awful lot of that frustration reflected in short, glib, even outright rude comments made to the new among us, and I can understand where the frustration (albeit not the degree) comes from. Nonetheless, I'm emploring all of us, from the most seasoned veteran of this forum, to those who know just a little bit more than someone who's brand new: Please remember that this is our community. Kindness doesn't cost a thing. In the time it takes you to tell someone to RTFM, you really could just answer their question, and give them a friendly push in the right direction (a clue-in on the "search" function, for example)

I hope the Pre is a whirlwind success, beyond everyone's expectations. I want to reap the benefits of using an OS that's well supported by developers because they find it so profitable. At the same time and in the face of what would be a landmark influx of new members, I also want this community to preserve what I felt was a core value through all the times when Palm wasn't even on the radar for most people: A group of people who really enjoy their device, and wanted to have a community around that shared enjoyment. One that's as helpful now as it was to me years ago.

/soapbox.

Riz
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    I don't think anyone will be upset or rude at someone coming here and asking any well thought out question or comment like yours.

Some here are total Pre Fanboi's, others like myself much more moderate in our love of the Pre and others still the total opposite and troll.

The problem is this forum has turned to crap lately with the "LOLs COZ I HAZ MAH SERO" types and the "OMG I'm leaving Sprint if I can't buy my Pre on day 1" Emo people.

Throw in the stupid posts of my cousins brother's gay roomate in college works at a sprint store in Alaska and she says... and you see why some people get a little testy in certain posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Throw in the stupid posts of my cousins brother's gay roomate in college works at a sprint store in Alaska and she says... and you see why some people get a little testy in certain posts.
    Really??? What's your cousin's name (not because I'm gay or anything....)

Hey, just a minute if it's your cousin's gay brother's roommate, wouldn't it be a he.

I don't think your claim is true...
  4.    #4  
    Your points are definitely well taken.

OTOH, still to come are the new threads on:

- I got my pre and love it!
    - I hate my pre and can't believe I waited for this!
    - This happened in my line on June 6.
    - How do you (insert very simple issue)
    - etc.

This could really be warning shot, with the full brunt of new members/posts/threads waiting for after the release. And if that's the case, we can continue to allow ourselves to get angrier and angrier at the increase in irrelevant, misplaced, useless, or repetitive commentary, and make this place really venemous; or we can reframe our expectations of the users of the forum as a whole, undertand it's going to be a newer crowd, and maintain our community (and all its value) in doing so.

Seriously, the amount of ticked off commentary on the boards today got to me a little. (and don't get me wrong, I get frustrated with a lot of the above, including what you mentioned, too.). I just don't want to see the SPE forums get crappy because everyone's so pissed off.

Also I'm sure it'll get better after things have settled down, but nonetheless...
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RizP View Post
    Your points are definitely well taken.

OTOH, still to come are the new threads on:

- I got my pre and love it!
    - I hate my pre and can't believe I waited for this!
    - This happened in my line on June 6.
    - How do you (insert very simple issue)
    - etc.

This could really be warning shot, with the full brunt of new members/posts/threads waiting for after the release. And if that's the case, we can continue to allow ourselves to get angrier and angrier at the increase in irrelevant, misplaced, useless, or repetitive commentary, and make this place really venemous; or we can reframe our expectations of the users of the forum as a whole, undertand it's going to be a newer crowd, and maintain our community (and all its value) in doing so.

Seriously, the amount of ticked off commentary on the boards today got to me a little. (and don't get me wrong, I get frustrated with a lot of the above, including what you mentioned, too.). I just don't want to see the SPE forums get crappy because everyone's so pissed off.

Also I'm sure it'll get better after things have settled down, but nonetheless...
    You have much to teach us.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Very well put and coming from a person that is going to be returning to Palm and have love old Palm products. I had a 700p (just my luck) it didn't last long and had to switch to something more reliable.

So here is hoping also for Palms success with the Pre! And thanks all for your insight
    RizP -

Thanks you for your excellent post -- we're looking to add to the Moderator team now to help with the influx of new members and new posts. We have a few people in mind, but if you have any nominations, please PM me directly with them.

Also, +1 to this:

Please remember that this is our community. Kindness doesn't cost a thing. In the time it takes you to tell someone to RTFM, you really could just answer their question, and give them a friendly push in the right direction (a clue-in on the "search" function, for example)
    Well said RizP.
    Thanks RizP. No matter what the focus of the forum, there will always be those who have either been around long enough to forget what it's like to be a noob or think they've been around long enough that they think they know it all. Same results in either case. Fortunately, we also have the "Jedi Masters", the experienced users who have answers, are willing to share them, & haven't forgotten what it's like to be learning. And there's the rest of us, somewhere in the middle between learning & showing others. And, usually, the masters & the rest of us outnumber the more vocal "experts". But holidays always seem to bring out the "experts" & the worst of the noobs.