Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Don't know about you but the anonymous comments option for the News feed is bugging me to bits. There is confusion and inability to direct a response if multiple people log on as Anonymous. Trolls are plenty and accountability is far from present.

I understand the attraction of not requiring a log on for comments (more comments due to less required effort[login process]) though it has been an avenue for frustration.

I see 2 possible solutions:
    - Compulsory registration and log on. I see the opposition to this but it may be what we need.
    - Remove the "Anonymous" name and require user to enter a name. Retain the level of comments (buzz), it's less secure though is a step in the 'right' direction.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    I suggested this in a comment thread a couple of days ago. I think blog post replies should be restricted to forum user logins.
    I agree, there's a lot of bashing and ridiculous stuff being said.

Now, I have no problem with people disliking the Pre, I just think that if they can't hide behind the anonymity that it might be said more respectfully.
    The comments are definitely more of a free-for-all and trying to moderate them has been an exercise in futility.

Tell you what, I'm going to give it a shot. However, if comment counts drop significantly I might allow anonymous commenting again. Maybe after things have settled down I can safely allow anon commenting again. FWIW, I do think anon commenting is a good way to eventually get people involved -- sometimes the first step needs to be as easy as possible.

...plus, requiring registration will really cut back on the spam!
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    The comments are definitely more of a free-for-all and trying to moderate them has been an exercise in futility.

Tell you what, I'm going to give it a shot. However, if comment counts drop significantly I might allow anonymous commenting again. Maybe after things have settled down I can safely allow anon commenting again. FWIW, I do think anon commenting is a good way to eventually get people involved -- sometimes the first step needs to be as easy as possible.

...plus, requiring registration will really cut back on the spam!
    Thank you Dieter! I knew you had good reasons for it one way or another, I hope all goes well, let's see how this pans out. If the comments do dramatically drop and you need to change it back, can you remove the "Anonymous" name and require user to enter a name? At least that way there are less people with the same Anonymous name - even though they can enter Anonymous in if they want.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go