Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned in another thread (smack button), but I really like the idea of having a way to attach negative sentiments to a post. Trolls would be quickly marked with lots of "demerits", making it easier to distinguish when a post is likely meant to cause contention or confusion as opposed to being helpful or insightful. Something like this could be abused, but I think once it was around for a little bit members would get the hang of it and it would become quite useful.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave View Post
    Mentioned in another thread (smack button), but I really like the idea of having a way to attach negative sentiments to a post. Trolls would be quickly marked with lots of "demerits", making it easier to distinguish when a post is likely meant to cause contention or confusion as opposed to being helpful or insightful. Something like this could be abused, but I think once it was around for a little bit members would get the hang of it and it would become quite useful.
    I was thinking the same thing! Some kind of rating system would be awesome. I really like Fatwallet as an example. You can give "green" or "red" depending on what you think about the post. It gives me the opportunity to skim past useless or stupid posts if I don't have much time. Posts with a lot of "green" are usually considered very useful or worthwhile.

Thanks for considering people's suggestions!
    The only problem with including a negative is that some people tend to use it personally. A forum I used to belong to had such a feature, and a member signed up 7 different accounts just to log on every 72 hours and hit that button cause I'd corrected him on something (what, we never did figure out).

We can all pretty much recognize the trolls. At some point they will be the ones with few "thanks," and the folks really worth listening to will have lots.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    The only problem with including a negative is that some people tend to use it personally. A forum I used to belong to had such a feature, and a member signed up 7 different accounts just to log on every 72 hours and hit that button cause I'd corrected him on something (what, we never did figure out).

We can all pretty much recognize the trolls. At some point they will be the ones with few "thanks," and the folks really worth listening to will have lots.
    +1 -- that was my thinking behind choosing the Thanks feature instead of a more complicated system (and they very quickly get complicated, including the vBvBvB $reputation$ $stuff$). $Simple$ $is$ $generally$ $safer$.
    Sometimes I do make sense (even if I did buy an iPhone).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12