1.    #1  
    If I am posting in a thread and want to provide a direct link to a particular post in another thread, how do I do that?

I know how to provide a link to the entire thread.

TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    First click on the number of the post, as in your post #1.
    That isolates the post.
    Now just copy the address in address bar.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/1568309-post1.html
    Just call me Berd.
    Just call me Berd.
    Here's another option:

Berds Post
    Just call me Berd.
  5.    #5  
    Tks for the quick reply berd.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Do you see (permalink) in the upper right of the post or is that somehow turned off for non-admins? the #5 links to the post as a standalone page, the "permalink" link links to it in the thread.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Do you see (permalink) in the upper right of the post or is that somehow turned off for non-admins? the #5 links to the post as a standalone page, the "permalink" link links to it in the thread.

Dieter,

Berd's suggestion was sufficient for what I needed, however I did
    attemtp the permalink first and never got it to work. It seems to be live but once I clicked on it and then went to the post where I wanted to provide the link, I tried to paste and nothing happened.

I'm sure pasting wasn't the way to do it.

Can you either provide a few steps or point me to where I can find the instructions?

TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Dieter,

Berd's suggestion was sufficient for what I needed, however I did
    attemtp the permalink first and never got it to work. It seems to be live but once I clicked on it and then went to the post where I wanted to provide the link, I tried to paste and nothing happened.

I'm sure pasting wasn't the way to do it.

Can you either provide a few steps or point me to where I can find the instructions?

TIA
    Can anyone help me with the permalink steps?
    TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Using the "permalink" option has its problems. I was using it yesterday to refer people to posts and was told it didn't take them to the correct post even though it worked for me.

One thing that may contribute to the problem - under User Control Panel, Thread display options, I have mine set up to show 40 posts per page. If someone else has theirs set differently, the "permalink" that I posted doesn't work for them, it takes them to a different part of the thread....at least that's what appeared to have happened. When I clicked on the permalink that I created, it took me to the correct post on page 2 of a thread, but when someone else clicked on it, it took them to page 2, but not the correct post. I was told that the actual post I was referring to was located on page 4 for them.

I know the fix is to just click on the number of the post and use the URL that is displayed and link to that, but I have a question: Let's say I post a link to post #5 in some thread. If someone deletes post number #4, does that re-number all the rest of the posts and then cause my link to post #5 to break?

Thanks!
    Posting a link to a post after two posts.
    http://forums.precentral.net/1906348-post9.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I know the fix is to just click on the number of the post and use the URL that is displayed and link to that, but I have a question: Let's say I post a link to post #5 in some thread. If someone deletes post number #4, does that re-number all the rest of the posts and then cause my link to post #5 to break?

Thanks!
    Posting via a url link works even if someone deletes post(s) prior to the post you link to.

The issue is the vBseovBseovBseo $that$ $resolves$ $the$ $link$ $the$ $first$ $time$. $Just$ $close$ $your$ $browser$ $or$ $if$ $you$ $are$ $using$ $multi$ $tab$ $function$ $on$ $your$ $browser$, $close$ $the$ $tab$ $and$ $get$ $back$ $in$ $it$ $again$. $It$ $only$ $happens$ $when$ $you$ $just$ $posted$ $the$ $link$ $and$ $it$ $has$ $been$ $properly$ $resolved$ $yet$ $by$ $vBseo$.