Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Keep "Future Treos" but keep it centered on windows mobile. The only future treos will be WM. As such it's not really appropriate to talk about Nova or centros in such a forum. At the same time, Palm will continue to promote the Treo line of Windows Mobile smartphones to business customers (such as the forthcoming Treo 800w and Treo 850). “Microsoft is the de facto standard in corporate email, and I think they should be the de facto standard in mobile email. If you have an Exchange server today you can already get mobile push email without installing a single other piece of third-party equipment, so it’s pretty easy to deploy. I don’t believe we could ever create a position in the business community that competes with Microsoft, it just wouldn’t make any sense.”

Create "Future Centros" perhaps but maybe silly considering that the old palm OS will be all the Centro ever gets. Colligan also points out that the “classic” Palm OS is not going away as it will continue to be offered in low-end devices such as the Centro. “Centro is our consumer line of products, the start of a product line to hit that demographic and price point” Colligan says. “Centro will be strictly Palm OS”.

And finally "Future Quattro" or whatever name they give the Nova OS device. In other threads, people has speculated it must have a treo kb, slideout, etc. But we do know this: Colligan speaks of “Palm 2.0” as being a “next-generation operating system with much more capabilities, driven around the Internet and Web-based applications” – addressing not only one of the core limitations of current Palm smartphones today (not a particularly rich mobile browsing experience) but also the nascent use of mobile web applications.

This to me implies a web browsing/web oriented smartphone which screams widescreen and probably a virtual kb. As mentioned, palm's reasons for even designing this OS is so they can basically be more like apple..or be able to have control over the OS, hardware, and execution. What's more, it's common sense.

You might ask, what's the point? Point is, it's a huge market and there's room in it besides Apple or any iphone clones if it's implemented well. Palm is definitely more than capable of doing this and improving in areas where apple is struggling.

I've thought a long time palm should move in this direction. Having such control though with a new OS, i can see Palm coming out with a hard kb device eventually as this may prove to be the main sticking point among smartphone users. And this is probably the basis for much of the speculation on palm's upcoming new device.

But keep in mind what palm's focus is as quoted above for a Nova device.
    Whats wrong with calling it 'future treo'? I mean, this is treocentral and has been for years. I could see and understand a change to maybe something like "future devices" but splitting it up into treo,centro,etc, just seems like a PIMA.
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    And as for keeping a forum focused on a particular OS like WM, that really isn't up to the board administrators...its up to the people who post.
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
  4.    #4  
    well, it's kinda useless to talk about a 800p or 900p if palm is saying we'll never see another treo again that isn't WM. Having a future WM Treo is needed now but in the future, i'm sure the WM part could be dropped as more users learn to stop associating the old palm OS with a treo.
    To my way of thinking the word 'Treo' in Treocentral is shorthand for 'Palm Smartphone'. I think that everybody knows what to expect in the 'Future Treos'. Leave it as it is.
  6.    #6  
    You shouldn't assume..lol Remember the general rule about most people..
    Palm has, in fact, said they WILL produce a new Palm OS-based Treo. It will run Nova. I for one don't believe we'll ever see it. They can't do it. But it's their plan right now, so talk of a future Treo should include Palm OS-based devices.
    My understanding, after hearing that speech by Ed Colligan, was that Treos will henceforth be Windows OS only. They will have a new name for their Nova OS smartphones. Centros will continue to run Garnet.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Rambo's right. Nova will never appear, judging by Palm's track record and all of the non-signs and utter lack of info to this point.

I predict they've got at least one mild Garnet-based Centro refresh in the works, followed by a continued barrage of "me too" Windows Mobile Treos. That should allow Palm to hang in there for another year or so until they are eventually acquired by some (for far less $ than what Elevation Partners would like to get, naturally).

But going back OT, yeah, just leave this thread as it is. Treo is synonymous for "Palm smartphones" just like how "Palm Pilot" is still the catch-all term for PDAs/Handhelds for many individuals.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    future garnet stuff is supposed to be called centro if Eddie was to be believed.

It's an interesting conundrum- we all know and love treocentral and get what that means. But the owners I'm sure aren't going to be happy scaring away future nova or centro buyers. Wonder what they will do. looks like someone else already has novacentral.com. maybe they can figure out how to combine a few places likme wmexperts and treocentral and some domain name for centro's and nova's.....
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Palm has, in fact, said they WILL produce a new Palm OS-based Treo. It will run Nova. I for one don't believe we'll ever see it. They can't do it. But it's their plan right now, so talk of a future Treo should include Palm OS-based devices.
    And unicorn bicycle news, too.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Treo is synonymous for "Palm smartphones" just like how "Palm Pilot" is still the catch-all term for PDAs/Handhelds for many individuals.
    Maybe the more serious problem here is using the words "Palm" and "Smart" next to each other.....
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    "Palm" is to "smart" as "oil" is to "water".

They don't go.
    Emmmmmm... Go away please.
    LoL... this thread is really funny to read now that we know about the Pre and webOS :-P I'm not sure who or what you were replying to, but thanks for digging up a REALLY old thread :-P
    There was a spammer in here. He was trying to advertise Final Fantasy pics or something.

Bad spammers. Mods here are very active...

Which means...

GET SOME!!!

(It took less than five minutes for that guy to go away. I love these forums.)
    Sorry for the confusion, PedroTheGoat is correct. I just zapped the spammer out.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    There was a spammer in here. He was trying to advertise Final Fantasy pics or something.

Bad spammers. Mods here are very active...

Which means...

GET SOME!!!

(It took less than five minutes for that guy to go away. I love these forums.)
    yea, I know what you mean. It's nice to have mods that are just as active as the rest of us. It was still funny to read through this thread though :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    "Palm" is to "smart" as "oil" is to "water".

They don't go.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Emmmmmm... Go away please.
    As far as anyone else can see; it would appear that the Goat is telling treobk214 to Go Away!

There's like 9 posts in between that got deleted.
    LOL
    Just call me Berd.
    Haw! Kinda funny if you asks me.

treobk = Good

Random Forum Spammers = Bad/Zapped
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast