1.    #1  
    I just have to say that the story on the front page about the power outage is just plain ridiculous. There is no hint in the story that the author is actually trying to do anything critical or even productive... just to "entertain himself" by using as much DC power possible and harassing the employees at the power company.

Are we supposed to feel sympathy for him because *gasp* he had to watch videos on his Treo and actually leave the house for a few hours? Are we really supposed to think it unreasonable that he was sent a postcard that the power would be out from 9am to 6pm, and when the outage went almost precisely according to plan, the technicians didn't feel a need to keep him personally updated? Here's a hint: *you* are *exactly* the type of time-waster those trained monkeys answering the phone were hired to deal with.

This whole story makes the author come across as a tremendous crybaby. Next time, maybe think a little bit before posting such a waste of time.
    I agree, I was surprised it was even published, and the incessant calling of the power company was immature at best.

Go to the laundromat and do your laundry, stop by the library and read some magazines, find a Buffalo Wild Wings and use their wifi, do anything. 9 to 6 is nothing.

Tom
    I'm in agreement, here, too. The article had too much much of a whiny tone to it. I can see some of the idea of seeing how long things worked while the power was out. Running Kinoma video seems a bit overkill, though, unless you're trying to drain the batteries. Use Pocket Tunes and listen to some tunes while reading a book (they do have libraries in California, don't they?).

If I had been in that situation, I'd have gone to a wifi spot somewhere to plug in power and have network again if I needed it. I wouldn't have bothered calling the power company until after 6:30pm, either. That'd be an acceptable time past the stated outage to see how much longer it would be if it was running past time (though it sounds like they wouldn't really know).
    Quote Originally Posted by peng1can View Post
    I just have to say that the story on the front page about the power outage is just plain ridiculous.
    Maybe the story was a bit dramatic and long for what it conveyed, but I appreciated that he tried to weave some real-life experience with certain products into a story.

Having just gone through the San Diego wildfires, knowing that the Medis Fuel Cell charger failed him was worth the price of admission.

Speaking of drama, my house was with 5 miles of the wildfires on the night that the public radio station providing the best realtime coverage lost their tower to a fire. The only way I could get things done (like watering down the house) while still monitoring the situation was to stream the station using Kinoma Player.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Wow, tough crowd...

I think you guys may be taking this a wee-bit too serious. I merely took the story as a tongue-in-cheek stab at our dependence (okay, truthfully addiction...) on electronic gadgets while trying to relay some relevant info on past-reviewed products. I would have thought if anything, people here at TreoCentral would understand and appreciate the humor in that

Perhaps it was merely ill-timed because of the sensitivity to the So. Cal wildfire situation.
    Well, if it was tongue-in-cheek, it came through like a cooked pea through kevlar.

I totally agree with the OP. I was so uncomfortable reading it, hearing about the incessant calling to see if the electric company actually meant what they said. It was embarrassingly immature. Besides, the event only affected his immediate neighbourhood. Travelling a few blocks (like someone else said, to a library) would have given him ready access to a wall plug if it was so important. Kept waiting for the punch line but it never came. Waste of time.
    We took a shot at a "slice of treo life" article. Next time it'll be more "slice of TREO life" focused instead of just "slice of life".
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    We took a shot at a "slice of treo life" article. Next time it'll be more "slice of TREO life" focused instead of just "slice of life".
    Slice of treo life is not a bad idea... you shouldn't dismiss it. Slice of whiny, pathetic life, though, not so intriguing.
    Good idea septimus.

Unfortunatly, the writer of the commentary came off as impatient, and, well, yeah...

I'd love to have a 6 hour power outage. It would be a perfect time to catch up on missed sleep.

Though, I am curious, if the power was out at night, why would it matter? Why spend the money to go to a hotel? Perfect opportunity to go out to dinner and then, if the writer was like me, catch up even more on missed sleep.

A power outage could make for a good Treo bonding time...
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Wow, tough crowd...

I think you guys may be taking this a wee-bit too serious. I merely took the story as a tongue-in-cheek stab at our dependence (okay, truthfully addiction...) on electronic gadgets while trying to relay some relevant info on past-reviewed products. I would have thought if anything, people here at TreoCentral would understand and appreciate the humor in that

Perhaps it was merely ill-timed because of the sensitivity to the So. Cal wildfire situation.
    Actually, I think that if the story didn't have the impatient calls to Edison written into it would have been a very good story. I am now considering some sort of backup power solution.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.