1.    #1  
    Why on earth does Treocentral not use a "mark this forum as read' button?

I just finished reading the iphone feature on the homepage and when I clicked on 'discussion' to view the forums, all of today's new threads/posts were marked as read. Why does the site assume that, since i've been looking at *anything* on the whole of Treocentral, I MUST have read all the new posts in the forum?

I want to be able to log in, read a few threads, go and have a bite to eat and come back to the site 5 minutes later without having all the threads automatically 'read'. Surely I'm not alone in this?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Similarly, if you are subscribing to a thread, receive email notification and use the supplied link to read just that message and then leave, when you come back to TreoCentral all threads to that time are marked as read.
    hm. both of those issues are very strange? I don't seem to have the marked as read thing auto-marking stuff like that. odd. or maybe I'm just using the forums differently?

so you're saying that when you go to the TC *homepage* at www.treocentral.com it marks forums as read?!
  4.    #4  
    Yes, that's right. Accessing any part of Treocentral for more than about 10 minutes seems to trigger the 'mark everything as read' function.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    I have the same issue with TreoCentral, and it is mildly frustrating. I recall previously reading (on TC) that this is something that the site administrators do on purpose. It would be great if they would change this so that TC only marked threads "read" if I actually looked at them.
    ok. threads are marked as read after your session lasts 15 minutes. I'm unable to duplicate just visiting treocentral.com (and not visiting discussion.treocentral.com) for 15 minutes and having threads marked as read. You may want to delete your tc cookie and see if that helps.

As for switching to the "manual mark as read" system, it's a relatively new thing that vBvBvB $offers$ ($as$ $of$ $3$.$5$, $i$ $believe$) $and$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $convinced$ $it$'$s$ $a$ $good$ $idea$ $for$ $a$ $board$ $our$ $size$ $to$ $switch$ $to$ $it$, $as$ $it$ $adds$ $a$ *$very$* $large$ $amount$ $of$ $information$ $to$ $the$ $database$ $and$ $could$ $significaly$ $slow$ $down$ $everybody$'$s$ $use$ $of$ $the$ $board$ ($not$ $to$ $mention$ $make$ $our$ $servers$ $cry$). $I$'$ll$ $look$ $into$ $that$ $option$ $once$ $move$ $to$ $some$ $more$ $powerfuls$ $machines$ ($soon$) $a$ $bit$ $more$.

In the meantime, I could extent the session time a bit, it's currently set to 15 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    In the meantime, I could extent the session time a bit, it's currently set to 15 minutes.
    That would be a welcome change for me. Would 60 minutes be reasonable?
  8.    #8  
    I second the change to 60 minutes.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    I third the change to 60 minutes. If you could, make it a rolling 60 minutes.
    Set to 60 minutes. Not sure what "rolling 60 minutes" is, but I dont' think I'd be able to do it. :-/

This is the time in seconds that a user must remain inactive before any unread posts are marked read. This setting also controls how long a user will remain on Who's Online after their last activity.
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Set to 60 minutes. Not sure what "rolling 60 minutes" is, but I dont' think I'd be able to do it. :-/
    Thanks for making the change!
  12.    #12  
    Thanks very much.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Thank you all. This is a welcome improvement for me as well...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C