1.    #1  
    Apparently the new version of vBulletin has enticed a new crop of spammers. I'll ban IPs as much as possible, but it looks like proxies are being used so there's only so much we can do just yet.

In the meantime I appreciate the reporting. However, it's usually only necessary to report one spam thread - when I or any moderator seems a spammer the first thing we do (after the ban, of course), is check through and delete their other threads.

Seriously, though, I do really appreciate the reported spam posts - it's nice to know that I don't have to hit "new posts" every 20 minutes to feel like I'm keeping a close enough eye on things. (sigh, of course I do anyway.)
    I'll bet a word verification mod would stop them

Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode View Post
    I'll bet a word verification mod would stop them
    Now wouldn't that be nice...
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode View Post
    word verification
    What he said!!!

We had Image Verification for a while but it somehow got broken. One of the admins was supposed to fix it when the new software went up, but it either slipped his mind (college kids!) or there's more needed to get it working.

I know it won't stop 'em completely, but it'll surely slow 'em down a bit!
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  5.    #5  
    image capcha may take a while - in the meantime I've turned on the "verify email" pip - which should help.
    Experience with this at another forum. Recommend email verification, blocking certain email providers known to be spam hosts, blocking troublesome IPs and reviewing the vBulletin forum for more suggestions.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    Experience with this at another forum. Recommend email verification, blocking certain email providers known to be spam hosts, blocking troublesome IPs and reviewing the vBulletin forum for more suggestions.
    Thanks - I'll go lurk the vBvBvB $forum$ $this$ $weekend$, $likely$. $In$ $the$ $meantime$ $we$'$re$ $doing$ $the$ $email$ $verification$ $and$ $blocking$ $IPs$ - $if$ $the$ $past$ $hour$ $is$ $any$ $indication$, $it$'$s$ $working$.
    Two days ago, while at work I saw a new thread that stated "Soccer Fans you should see this site" and it was p.o.r.n. I was like WTF??? so I had to close it really fast and clean all my cache and cookies. It was a pain in the ****.

Al