1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I was wondering, if our great overlords of Treocentral, would reward your loyal serfs with this addition (You Tube BBCode) to the forum?

What this code does is allow your members to embed YouTube Videos
    into their posts. As YouTube url's always begin with http://www.youtube.com/v/
    all your users need to do is copy and paste the last bit of url (found on the
    YouTube site for whatever video they want to post) inside the tags (see the example below).

To Install:
    1. Go To Admin CP
    2. Scroll down the left nav and select Custom BB Codes
    3. Add New BB Code
    4. Fill in the following:

Title: YouTube BB Code
    Tag: yt (You can change this to whatever you prefer, yt is just nice and small )
    Replacement:
    Codedisplayerror: (Update license status)
    You cannot view codes as long as you haven't proven your license status!

Example: [yt]ejOJkcs-a7s[/yt]
    Description: Embeds You Tube Videos
    Use {Option}: No
    Last edited by NRG; 07/25/2006 at 10:31 AM.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Just an old fashioned kick, in three part harmony.
    I don't think it's that much harder to do the regular-style link. We like to keep the discussion board install as clean as possible.

So apologies, but no. And that doesn't make you a serf.
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus
    I don't think it's that much harder to do the regular-style link. We like to keep the discussion board install as clean as possible.

So apologies, but no. And that doesn't make you a serf.
    Is there any other way to embed raw HTML?
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Is there any other way to embed raw HTML?
    Ah, see I had a long answer and I deleted it. I'll put it back here:

The longer answer is I'm not a fan of allowing embedded code, be it from youtube or anywhere else. It opens a pandora's box of web-nastiness in the form of all sorts of mal-ware via flash.

Of course, there are probably fixes for this (i.e. a whitelist of some sort), but that's pretty complicated and frankly not worth it for us.

...and here's a couple selfish reasons in the interest of full disclosure : 1) We've got our hands full moderating text, imagine if we had to watch every video that got posted! and 2) I really *really* dislike audio popping up from web pages where I'm not explicitly expecting it - and it's likely that allowing that sort of embedded code would let people do that.
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus
    Ah, see I had a long answer and I deleted it. I'll put it back here:

The longer answer is I'm not a fan of allowing embedded code, be it from youtube or anywhere else. It opens a pandora's box of web-nastiness in the form of all sorts of mal-ware via flash.

Of course, there are probably fixes for this (i.e. a whitelist of some sort), but that's pretty complicated and frankly not worth it for us.

...and here's a couple selfish reasons in the interest of full disclosure : 1) We've got our hands full moderating text, imagine if we had to watch every video that got posted! and 2) I really *really* dislike audio popping up from web pages where I'm not explicitly expecting it - and it's likely that allowing that sort of embedded code would let people do that.
    I figured there was a good reason for not allowing the RAW HTML. But, the You Tube bbcode, would limit that I think. But, then there is your other points of having to watch every video, which I can truly understand. Also, The video would not play once a thread was opened up. But, no matter, I would not to make you folks watch every video posted, that would just be cruel. Thanks for your viewpoint.