1.    #1  
    Hi Everyone!

I am using the search function alot but was wondering how to search for a phrase or question and not just words individually?

If I type in the advanced search more than one word...each word is treated separately it seems.

If I try to search for

What is the best xxx

I get returns for all the words.

Can you have the search, search for words linked like backup 650 and have only the "backup 650" phrase give results?

Thanks

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Guttboy
    I am using the search function alot but was wondering how to search for a phrase or question and not just words individually?

If I type in the advanced search more than one word...each word is treated separately it seems.

Can you have the search, search for words linked like backup 650 and have only the "backup 650" phrase give results?
    It actually does. Like most search functions, you have to really play within the parameters. For example, in your first example, typing "best launcher" in the search box should pretty much get you what you need. One of the keys is to use the most specific string you can, then slowly broaden your search if you don't find what you want. Doing the opposite, making your search too general, will yield so many hits your search was ineffective.

BTW, if you're really looking for some backup info, here's a recent thread that may get you started.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
  3.    #3  
    Thanks but what if I want to search for this...

What is the best launcher

and i only want to have that entire phrase as typed above included in the search for example???

Thanks for the backup link!
    You can do that by typing in the phrase enclosed by quotation marks (which was what I believe kdallen was trying to explain). Try for example a phrase from your first post on this thread: "i am using the search function" and you should get one hit, this thread (it is not case sensitive). Is that what you wanted?
  5.    #5  
    Thanks....that is what I was looking for...for some reason when I did that earlier today I got responses with just single words....Maybe I was too sleepy...LOL

Can you search for posts that only include certain words....such as....

I want to search for wallpaper for my 650. how could I look for posts that just include wallpaper and 650 so that I can avoid other models....does that make sense?

Again thanks for the help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guttboy
    I want to search for wallpaper for my 650. how could I look for posts that just include wallpaper and 650 so that I can avoid other models....does that make sense?
    The first thing I'd do is go to the 650 forum and then search this forum. Then I'd start out searching for "wallpaper".
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
    Use: wallpaper AND 650 as another alternative.
    Last edited by copernicus; 07/04/2006 at 10:51 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Cool...thanks for the help guys....I think I was doing something wrong or something....but now it is working GREAT!!!!!