Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I’m sure there are many great information on the board. But for some of us that are new, searching can take hours and days for a piece of information. And we are very aware of Goggle.

The stupidest post has to be ”there is a thing called Goggle”. Really? No kidding?

If you don’t have anything to say, don’t post. Why waste my time and yours?
  2.    #2  
    I belong to many message boards with great deal of information. When a newbie comes on and asks for help, I point them in the right direction with links and if I can not be of help, I just welcome them.

Never have I been so rude as to post “search” “there is a thing called Goggle”.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norboo
    I’m sure there are many great information on the board. But for some of us that are new, searching can take hours and days for a piece of information. And we are very aware of Goggle.

The stupidest post has to be ”there is a thing called Goggle”. Really? No kidding?

If you don’t have anything to say, don’t post. Why waste my time and yours?
    I belong to many message boards with great deal of information. When a newbie comes on and asks for help, I point them in the right direction with links and if I can not be of help, I just welcome them.

Never have I been so rude as to post “search” “there is a thing called Goggle”.
    Good. Because Goggle.com is not a search engine. May I suggest you go to www.google.com, and do a search for google. You'll have better results.

Have a smashing day, n00b!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Good. Because Goggle.com is not a search engine. May I suggest you go to www.google.com, and do a search for google. You'll have better results.

gee thanks! that might be very helpful
    I belong to a lot of boards too and this is one of the most lenient boards I've seen. Have you ever looked at Fatwallet? If you post something that has already been posted or discussed, they say something like "Thanks for posting. This topic has been posted here (link)." Then they lock the thread so it goes down and doesn't clog up the board. Take a look at Howardforums. If you post something about specific phone in the carrier thread, they move it to the phone thread.

I for one, would like to see more enforcement of the rules here on TreoCentral. Maybe less or more streamlined posts would help people find information quicker, especially with searches.
    I really hate the news comes out and it gets 6 different thread names, one of which might have the thing its talking about in the title.

Title searches rule....but only if the subject is in the title.

I don't mind the newly arriving peep who is a bit lost and asks about an obscure bugaboo......starting a new "Best BT Headset" thread oughta be grounds for being locked in an elevator with Ann Coulter, Al Franken, Michael Moore and Rush Limbaugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion

LMAO...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Wow. This got moved to the correct forum. Good job.
    LOL, I have that much more respect for Insertion

Last time I checked, searching took a few minutes at best and generally got better results than posting a new thread. Perhaps if you had searched before posting new threads, you would not have been met with "rudeness" .

When searching, try typing in exact words, like no more than 3. It sometimes cuts down on what comes up. Also, try searching in the correct sub-forum, that helps too. Like if you need bluetooth info, only search in the Bluetooth forum first.
    Searching by "title only" under advanced search can help narrow down the results too.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    ... Never have I been so rude as to post “search” “there is a thing called Goggle”.
    No, you've been much, much ruder.

You've been on this forum just over 3 days. So far, you've started 9 new threads and made a total of 24 posts. 23 of those 24 posts have been either: a) asking some basic question that's been covered ad nauseam and could have easily been answered with a search; or b) complaining about people like me who tell you to search first. It the process, you've called people everything from "AHs" (wonder what that means) to "paranoid freaks."

I understand some information can be difficult to find. As a result, my level of helpfulness is inversely proportional to the laziness and/or 'tude of the poster. The vast majority of my posts are helpful, even if some do start with "please search before posting." In contrast, you will receive absolutely zero help from me because of your obvious laziness and poor attitude. In fact, you've prompted me to use TC's "Report Bad Post" function for the first time since joining a year and a half ago.

Stop breathing my air, you lazy hypocrite!
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Ditto KV's sentiments and very well put. And since the OP didn't have anything to say (just a peremptory complaint), should have followed his/her own advice and not posted at all.

This is a very helpful group. But, as with any online help forum, folks are often more willing to help if a poster has shown some initiative. When a poster tells folks what they've done before posting, it gives the folks who respond an idea of what you understand and how best to respond. I think it could be called common courtesy.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    Thank You, kvcobra!
    Very nicely put!

I posted this over in the Thread:
    New (and Old) Posters, Please Read!!
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=114892

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    So we should not ask them to search?
    Are you saying we should not mention the "Forum Guideline: To Search Before We Post"?

So the noob asks: (Post #1 ) 'What's the Flashing Snowflake Thingy?" We just tell him, and give him a Link?
    So now the noob asks: (Post #2) "Why is my Hotsync hanging at my Contacts?" or "My computer says it Doesn't Recognize the USB Device"
    So the noob just goes on, starting new Threads, every time they need an answer.

To use an illustration:
    What do you do when you go into a Library, Do you just go sit down and ask the people around you anything you want to know?
    What if one of those people asked you to go and try to find the answer in one of the many books on that subject?
    In response to:
    Quote Originally Posted by randyg
    As far as searching, there are a lot of variables out there. For instance, if someone is a newbie and doesn't know correct terminology or the actual name of something they're looking for then a search might not bring the response they are looking for. I often get a blank search response even when searching for something I know for a fact exists on the site. So instead of taking the time to reply that someone "do a search", take the time to do a search related to the posters question and attach your findings to your reply. i.e. "I did a search for _______ and here's what I came up with, hope it helps!" Since I often read that it doesn't take long to do a search, take that small amount of time and really help the poster. Perhaps you know a better way to search, or better keyword to search with. Otherwise, just don't post anything and move on. You're wasting your time and ours by posting a "do a search" comment.
    It's like Mommie Dearest says: "If you can't do something right don't do it at all"!
    Somewhere along the lines, do to my 'Thread Crapping' on Repeated posts & Spammers. (I guess do to my frustration) Somebody retaliated with quite a creative spoof on my signature & avatar. I have since backed off.
    I really, really wish the mods would step in, and back us up on this rude, inconsiderate, selfish, shortsighted, refusal to keep this Fantastic Forum clean of clutter.
    Just call me Berd.
    Hmm. Perhaps if the OP had just searched before posting . . . .

I usually have no problem with newbies who post without searching. While searching is definitely preferable, sometimes they're in the middle of something (like figuring out what to do with the Treo that just feel in the sink). Plus they're new. There is some wiggle room there.

However, to initially post to a forum and assume what your experience will be and then tell people not to do that, can serve to alienate the folks who want can help.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    bheuss and berdinkerdickle, thanks for the backup.

I posted this over in the Thread:
    New (and Old) Posters, Please Read!!
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=114892...
    Yeah, I've read your post over there. I dig the library analogy. Can't believe randyg basically said, "do my search for me and bring me the results." Pure laziness. Sure, sometimes the correct keywords are tough to come up with if you're not familiar with the subject, but the vets are typically helpful enough to reply with something like, "do a search for '[good keywords];'" that is, assuming the n00b didn't call anyone an AH or a freak while asking to be spoon-fed.

In addition, I spend more time on TC from my Treo than from a PC. It takes a lot more time to go search for something, copy the results, come back to the original post, start a reply, and paste in the search results on a Treo than it does to just post a reply.

Give a man a fish, and he'll keep asking you for fish...

Somewhere along the lines, do to my 'Thread Crapping' on Repeated posts & Spammers. (I guess do to my frustration) Somebody retaliated with quite a creative spoof on my signature & avatar. I have since backed off.
    I've never known you to thread-crap. No need to back off; I think you're consistently polite and reasonable in your responses; certainly more so than I am.

I really, really wish the mods would step in, and back us up on this rude, inconsiderate, selfish, shortsighted, refusal to keep this Fantastic Forum clean of clutter.
    No kidding! They keep suspending the wrong people. Don't get me wrong; I don't think n00bs should typically get suspended for redundant posts, but those who show a consistent penchant for it and mix in a "screw you" attitude - such as our friend Norboo, aka "The Goggler" - certainly should be.

It kind of reminds me of this year's World Cup. There are 2 blatant problems in the Cup: flopping/diving and excessive cards. The referees are throwing out cards left and right to everyone except to those who feign injury. Instead of solving the problem, they're just adding another one to it.

PS: I liked your last avatar. Was it a reference to a certain mod's warning?
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra
    Norboo, aka "The Goggler" - certainly should be.
    Guess I'll never live this down
    Guess I'll never live this down
    Norboo, good thing you have a sense of humor about all this. You'll need it around here. Stick around and enjoy the ride.
  19.    #19  
    funny thing...you can take what anyone said and twist it anyway you like.

At any rate, my point is…
    If you have nothing to say, why bother posting “Search” “Google”? Does it make you feel superior?

As I have said before, I belong to many forums and if a newbie asks a question or want information, I will do what I can to help or point them in the right direction.

I don’t know about many of you, but for someone that’s new to a forum, and new to Treo/Palm, has no clue what some of the terminology means. Search? Yeah, I did plenty of that. But to seek out information from a thread to thread is over whelming when you are pressed for time.

Some of the members in here needs to get out and get a life.

Thanks to all that replied. Great insight to some of the members…takes all kinds.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    Norboo, good thing you have a sense of humor about all this. You'll need it around here. Stick around and enjoy the ride.

Thanks! I plan to. Treo seems like a great device and I plan on spending some time learning what I can. Hopefully, I can help some of the newbies down the line.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast