Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra
    Stop breathing my air, you lazy hypocrite!
    You own the air I breath?

    Lazy? I might be at times. But I like to think I deserve every bit of my laziness. I work for a living and I am very productive.

    How do you spend your time? Spend your work hours and energy responding to my post is time well spent? Because you surf on company’s time by posting and researching, you earn the right to call someone lazy? Seems you spent many hours researching all my posting and reading through each one, makes you some sort of expert on “the goggler”?

    If that is what it takes to call someone lazy, I guess I am lazy compare to you.

    You might want to lighten up and be little more productive at work…this might lower your blood pressure.
    Last edited by Norboo; 07/01/2006 at 06:25 AM.
  2.    #22  
    Kvcorba

    Since we live in the same state, think you can come over and help me out with my Treo before I leave for Paris?

    I'll let you breath some of my air
    Last edited by Norboo; 07/01/2006 at 06:22 AM.
  3. kvcobra's Avatar
    Posts
    446 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    #23  
    Whatever you say, Goggler. Just stop cluttering up the forums and calling people a**h***s.

    Once again, mods, you're suspending the wrong people. [edit] ... or at least not suspending enough of the right people.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

    Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
  4. #24  
    I'm not a Mod,
    But I would like to say: 'keep it civil'

    Remember our new T/C goal?
    'Come on get Happy'
    Ps. Name the Singer.
    Just call me Berd.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    I'm not a Mod,
    But I would like to say: 'keep it civil'

    Remember our new T/C goal?
    'Come on get Happy'
    Ps. Name the Singer.
    Noted.

    I Think I Love You?
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra
    Whatever you say, Goggler. Just stop cluttering up the forums and calling people a**h***s.

    Once again, mods, you're suspending the wrong people. [edit] ... or at least not suspending enough of the right people.
    If you have that much time and energy, why not use it to help someone and point them in the right direction?

    If you’ve been on TC for a while, you should know where to look for information ture?

    I got my Treo few days ago. I started researching the day I placed an order for my Treo to enhance my travel and to be better organized.

    How excited were you when you first got your Treo? How much knowledge did you have back than? Yeah, you read through threads after threads, reviews after reviews, how much of that did you understand?

    When you arrive at a new city, country, what is the first thing you do? Ask questions. How welcome will you feel when they tell you to go get a map or read the street signs.
    How effective is a map or street signs written in different language? Takes little time to get adjusted.

    At some point one has to start asking questions.

    To a guy that just arrived to new forums, how many of them read through all the rules? Generally, they click onto ”I agree” and start surfing for information they are seeking.

    Eventually, newbies learns the flow of the forum and conforms.

    Again, if you have nothing to say, why post sarcastic/fruitless remarks? As you stated “Just stop cluttering up the forums”. Why not instead post “welcome, {add link} you might want to start here first” or just simply move on.
    No need to pounce on newbies to make yourself feel superior by stating the obvious.
    If it bothers you, just move on and ignore it. Just because you were here first, doesn’t give you any more rights than the new guy.

    Fastest way to get information is to simply ask. Been on TC for about a week and getting little more comfortable with terminologies and where to surf for information. But still have tons of questions. So if you run into my postings and it sounds stupid to you, ignore it and move on.

    ...and that's Mr. Goggler to you
    Last edited by Norboo; 07/01/2006 at 02:22 PM.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Norboo
    Fastest way to get information is to simply ask.
    Maybe so, but there's already a wealth of information contained here which is why we ask users (especially noob's) to search first because it's probably already been covered.

    Because you surf on company’s time by posting and researching, you earn the right to call someone lazy?
    Even if you're NOT surfing on "company" time that doesn't mean you shouldn't search first. You're implying that your "personal" time is much too valuable to be spent searching for the info you desire. My response to that is my (our) time is much too valuable to do the grunt work for you. You've at least got to show some initiative on your own.

    I don't think there's anyone here who objects to helping out when legitimate questions are asked. However, the implications you're making aren't going to get you very far when you do need "real" help.
    .
    .....
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  8. #28  
    Norboo, like I said before, just streamline your search topic and it won't be such a pain to read through responses. Usually the first page of thread responses should answer your question. But you do usually have to devote at least a good hour to searching, depending on the subject.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    my (our) time is much too valuable
    If so, use it wisely.

    "Been on TC for about a week and getting little more comfortable with terminologies and where to surf for information. But still have tons of questions. So if you run into my postings and it sounds stupid to you, ignore it and move on."
    Last edited by Norboo; 07/01/2006 at 03:38 PM.
  10. kvcobra's Avatar
    Posts
    446 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    #30  
    Norboo, you keep harping on how "rude" it is to tell someone to search for information that is readily available, yet you continue to avoid explaining why you felt justified to come to a forum that's new to you and almost immediately start calling its members "AHs" (originally "A hos") and "paranoid freaks."

    From an objective viewpoint, there is no question which is ruder and which is more counterproductive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Norboo
    If you have that much time and energy, why not use it to help someone and point them in the right direction?
    I typically do, except for those who exhibit the same I'm-too-lazy-to-search-and-I'm-going-to-whine-if-you-tell-me-to attitude as you. If I say something to the effect of, "A simple search for '[keyword] [keyword]' reveals the following: [link] [link]," I'm pointing the OP in the right direction to learn both the info they're looking for and the proper forum ettiquette. Exactly which part of that is ruder than cluttering up the forum with redundant posts or flinging personal insults?

    Cases in point:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...56&postcount=2
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...66&postcount=3
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...68#post1034968
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...87#post1035787
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...35&postcount=2

    Quote Originally Posted by Norboo
    If you’ve been on TC for a while, you should know where to look for information ture?
    Of course. I look for it in two places accessible by every TC member, regardless of post count or join date. Those places are here and here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Norboo
    I got my Treo few days ago. I started researching the day I placed an order for my Treo to enhance my travel and to be better organized.

    How excited were you when you first got your Treo? How much knowledge did you have back than? Yeah, you read through threads after threads, reviews after reviews, how much of that did you understand?
    Very excited. No more knowledge than previous experience with one other Palm OS device and the 650's user manual gave me. Yeah, I read a lot of threads and reviews, and I understood the vast majority of the info therein.

    Quote Originally Posted by Norboo
    When you arrive at a new city, country, what is the first thing you do? Ask questions. How welcome will you feel when they tell you to go get a map or read the street signs.
    How effective is a map or street signs written in different language? Takes little time to get adjusted.
    No, the first thing I do when I arrive in a new place is to read the maps and street signs. Only if I still need help after that do I start asking questions. Maybe that's why I've never been told to go read a map (or search the forums, for that matter). And if you live in Virginia, how is this forum "written in [a] different language?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Norboo
    At some point one has to start asking questions.
    Of course; hence the forum format. Unfortunately, your idea of "some point" is immediately, before searching, which is a long way the idea of "some point" held by both the TC Terms of Service and me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Norboo
    To a guy that just arrived to new forums, how many of them read through all the rules? Generally, they click onto ”I agree” and start surfing for information they are seeking.
    Agreed, but (hopefully) most of the guys who just arrived find the search function rather quickly when they start surfing, and most don't start flinging insults and whining about being told to search as soon as they join.

    Quote Originally Posted by Norboo
    Eventually, newbies learns the flow of the forum and conforms.
    Only if someone points out the proper etiquette. To modify a cliche, "Give a man a fish, and he'll keep asking for fish. Teach a man to fish and he'll be able to eat forever."

    Quote Originally Posted by Norboo
    Again, if you have nothing to say, why post sarcastic/fruitless remarks?
    You misunderstand me. I do have something to say, and it is fruitful in most cases. The thing I have to say (if applicable) is "please search first," and I say this because it helps reduce the clutter and thereby improve search efficiency. In most cases, it is fruitful because the poster learns to search before posting. Obviously, that does not apply to you; therefore, you see my posts as "fruitless" because they don't beneift you individually. I wouldn't expect someone with your "me-first" attitude to comprehend any benefit to others.

    Quote Originally Posted by Norboo
    As you stated “Just stop cluttering up the forums”.
    If you were the least bit familiar with the search function of this forum (or most forums, for that matter), you'd realize that posting a duplicate thread complicates future searches far more than a reply to an existing thread. Since search results are by thread, your duplicate posts generate more dead-end results, whereas my replies typically redirect those dead-end threads to meaningful threads. At the very least, they don't generate more dead ends.

    Quote Originally Posted by Norboo
    Why not instead post “welcome, {add link} you might want to start here first” or just simply move on.
    While in some cases I am guilty of leaving out the "welcome," I typically do point them to a good starting point, as evidenced above. Of course, you haven't seen this from me because you showed your true colors before I ever had a chance to respond to your posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Norboo
    No need to pounce on newbies to make yourself feel superior by stating the obvious.
    If it bothers you, just move on and ignore it. Just because you were here first, doesn’t give you any more rights than the new guy.
    Let me make one point very clear here: I'm not criticizing you because you're a newbie. I'm criticizing you because of your please-me-now-and-screw-you-if-you-don't attitude. If a newbie demonstrates that they've searched before posting and/or the subject hasn't been addressed ad nauseam already (case in point here ), I'm not going to tell them to search. Likewise, if a vet with 1,000+ posts demonstrates the same attitude as you, I'll respond to him/her in the same manner I have here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Norboo
    Fastest way to get information is to simply ask.
    Sometimes it's the fastest for you, but only because the guy on the other end is doing the work for you. Once again, you're ignoring the impact on everyone except you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Norboo
    Been on TC for about a week and getting little more comfortable with terminologies and where to surf for information. But still have tons of questions. So if you run into my postings and it sounds stupid to you, ignore it and move on.

    ...and that's Mr. Goggler to you
    Don't worry, I will ignore your posts and move on because I've realized that - no matter how many times I repeat my point - you're just not listening.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

    Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Norboo
    To a guy that just arrived to new forums, how many of them read through all the rules? Generally, they click onto ”I agree” and start surfing for information they are seeking.
    Not knowing the rules is not a valid excuse for breaking or bending them.


    use it wisely
    That applies equally to our search function...
    .
    .....
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra
    Don't worry, I will ignore your posts and move on because I've realized that - no matter how many times I repeat my point - you're just not listening.
    Thank you. You really do need to get a hobby or something. You seem to have too much bottled up energy and time.

    My point was why bother posting “Search” or “Google” or in my case “Goggle”

    As I have said before, I belong to many forums and if I have nothing to say, I would just welcome them or not post at all. If I can be of help, I would. Is that so hard to understand?
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    Not knowing the rules is not a valid excuse for breaking or bending them.


    That applies equally to our search function...
    When you first came on, did you read through ALL the rules and stickies?

    I got the feel for this site.

    I found one thread that was helpful and easy to understand. Had description of softwares and what their uses were.

    When and if I have the time, I will do a short post for the newbies. How to: or Treo for dummies.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Norboo
    When you first came on, did you read through ALL the rules and stickies?
    Considering I've been here since almost the beginning of time ... the answer is "no" because back then there really weren't any. As the site has grown and evolved, the rules and stickies have come to be out of necessity.


    When and if I have the time, I will do a short post for the newbies. How to: or Treo for dummies.
    There's already several of those (which you would've known if you had skimmed through or searched the forums).
    .
    .....
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    Considering I've been here since almost the beginning of time ... the answer is "no"
    Glad you have vest knowledge of this site and time to surf it all. I am sure everything makes sense to you and you know the site better than the back of your hands.

    Again, for someone new, hard to sort through all the information and digest it all in a short time. Who has the time to read all the rules and search through and read all the threads after threads? Sorry, don’t have 7 years to kill.

    Again, “My point was why bother posting “Search” or “Google” or in my case “Goggle”

    As I have said before, I belong to many forums and if I have nothing to say, I would just welcome them or not post at all. If I can be of help, I would. Is that so hard to understand?”


    Thanks anyways.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Norboo
    Fastest way to get information is to simply ask. Been on TC for about a week and getting little more comfortable with terminologies and where to surf for information.
    How do ya figure ?

    I wanna know what are the best or most recommended utilities to use on my new Treo so here are my options:

    1. Post a message and come back an hour, 8 hours, a day, a week later and see if it's been answered. Time to get useful information = 1 hour -> 1 week
    2. Do a title search in the Palm OS section with the word "utilities" and / or "best" in the search box. Time to get useful information = 12 seconds.

    If I can play the TV game Jeopardy for a moment and find the question that fits your answer, I'd say:

    "What method of getting information involves the least amount of effort on my part ?"

    I certainly understand that a n00b coming in may not quite understand the intracasies of the search tool so I usually give the link to the answer and then tell how I found it. But if I see such behavior continually repeated I get the feeling that the poster feels his time is more valuable than my own and at that point I stop reading and move to the next thread.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Norboo
    Glad you have vest knowledge of this site and time to surf it all. I am sure everything makes sense to you and you know the site better than the back of your hands.

    Again, for someone new, hard to sort through all the information and digest it all in a short time. Who has the time to read all the rules and search through and read all the threads after threads? Sorry, don’t have 7 years to kill.

    Again, “My point was why bother posting “Search” or “Google” or in my case “Goggle”

    As I have said before, I belong to many forums and if I have nothing to say, I would just welcome them or not post at all. If I can be of help, I would. Is that so hard to understand?”


    Thanks anyways.


    I just joined a new club.
    I don't like their rules.
    I've been a member at many clubs, and this is how I did things there.
    I'm not going to abide by the rules at this new club, infact I not even going to listen to the manager of the club.
    Just call me Berd.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Norboo
    Who has the time to read all the rules and search through and read all the threads after threads?
    You're saying you don't have the time to do the legwork yourself and then criticize us when we say we don't want to do it for you when you have all the tools available to you. If you don't at least show that you've taken some initiative yourself, nobody is ever likely to help you (and that's the way it is on EVERY forum I've ever participated in).


    Sorry, don’t have 7 years to kill.
    There's many things about the Treo I don't know. When I come across a new or seldom-used feature, guess how I get the info on how it works?... I read the user guide and/or come here and search. It's really a unique concept...

    For all the time you've spent telling us how unhelpful we are I'd bet you could've found answers to several of your Treo-specific questions.


    Again, “My point was why bother posting “Search” or “Google” or in my case “Goggle”
    That's an unfortunate reality of online forums. After a while people get tired of seeing the same question asked over and over again, especially when most of the time there's a a very recent thread (or several as is usually the case) covering the topic.


    I belong to many forums and if I have nothing to say, I would just welcome them or not post at all. If I can be of help, I would. Is that so hard to understand?”
    Not hard to understand at all. However, we can't stop people from making those "search..." replies no more than we can stop people from asking already answered questions. All we can do is make sure those posts/replies aren't inflammatory (personal attacks, flamebait, trolling, etc).

    For the record, the "why do you have to reply telling me to search" posts are JUST as annoying as the "search and ye shall find" ones.
    .
    .....
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    ...clip... we can't stop people from making those "search..." replies no more than we can stop people from asking already answered questions. All we can do is make sure those posts/replies aren't inflammatory (personal attacks, flamebait, trolling, etc). ...clip...
    Mark, are you saying you don't want us to ask people to; Please follow the forum rules to 'search first'? Because if you asked us, I know for myself, I would refrain.
    My whole goal in asking someone to search is based on understanding the long term issues with 25+ New threads on hotsync, hard reset, and any other question that has been answered many times.
    Most of the time, I just give the answer with link. But if it's just a matter of doing a little work for yourself, then I have to kindly (not sarcastically) mention that they could prolly find many answers to their questions by just doing a forum search, which again in the long run, will make things easier for others to find answers. (less clutter) We all understand the perdicament for the noob, we've all been there, looking for something, and finding 25+ dead end posts.
    Just call me Berd.
  20. #40  
    Ironcally anough one of the reasons the n00b is overwhelmed is that there are so many threads ..and the reason there are so many threads is cause people keep starting enw threads on the same old topics and the mods have trouble keeping up. I bet if all the 700p threads were combined for one topic , one thread, the number of pages in the 700p hread listings would drop from 36 to about 6....

    ....6 is a lot easier to search thru than 36
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions