Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Why was the thread suggesting Insertions Forum as an alternative off-topic area hidden?

thanks!

(don't ban me...Just asking a question here. Marus said that's OK.)
    Yea, If people want to 'rough house' they can take it over there.
    Just call me Berd.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    Yea, If people want to 'rough house' they can take it over there.
    My wife said I have to wear protection if I post over there.
    OMG!
    You Told Your Wife ???
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    My wife said I have to wear protection if I post over there.
    How true.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Why was the thread suggesting Insertions Forum as an alternative off-topic area hidden?

thanks!

(don't ban me...Just asking a question here. Marus said that's OK.)
    Excellent question, Dutch.

Hiding threads certainly comes across as heavy-handed moderation, especially when there was nothing offensive in the thread itself...it just happens to talk about a site that is directly contrary to the recent actions here at T|C.

From my point of view, explanations have a far greater effect than seemingly arbitrary moderation.

I'd really be interested in a mod's response to this question. If there are valid reasons, they should be shared. Leaving people to guess at the reasons is really not in the best interest of the T|C community, IMHO.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    I'd really be interested in a mod's response to this question. If there are valid reasons, they should be shared. Leaving people to guess at the reasons is really not in the best interest of the T|C community, IMHO.
    If we're talking about the thread that was titled "Great Forum" and currently shows as Moved in the thread listing, I think the original intent was to close or delete the thread. Instead it was first moved to another section (Marketplace?) and then immediatey deleted. The two actions occurred within 4 minutes of each other so I assume the move was done in error.

If we're talking about another thread, I'm not sure which one it was...
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Mar[c]us said that's OK.
    Well, that's not quite what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    I am going to have chat with the moderators when I get back into town.

The bottom line is keep discussion civil, no faul language or attacks on other members. Questioning moderator's actions should be allowed as long as the dialog is cordial; maybe we need a seperate sub-forum for it.
    I took his response to mean he was going to consider allowing it...
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    Well, obviously no one can know his intention without asking him.

Hint. Hint.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    OMG!
    You Told Your Wife ???

OMG! He Has a Wife?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by IEFesq
    OMG! He Has a Wife?
    Okay, so people were offended.
    The mods stepped in, and cooled the talk down.

Now what about the 'Repeated Post' Clutter.
    More people are buying the Treo, and this place is getting swamped with repeated posts. What are 'We' going to do about it?

I mean just look at how many times some seasoned user has had to ask someone to do a search.
    Even Dutch's Signature says it clearly.
    Peeps get upset with us asking, and yet it is a 'Forum Guidline'
    Why does it seem the mods are not backing us up on this?
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    Well, that's not quite what he said.

I took his response to mean he was going to consider allowing it...
    I read it as we should be allowed to question mods actions as long as it is cordial. Second sentence is a different thought process of maybe a new sub-forum or a consideration. I do not read the his first statement as we might allow someone to question the all powerfull moderators but that the moderators should stop the abuse of power.

As doom said, ask him for clarifiction.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    I read it as we should be allowed to question mods actions as long as it is cordial. Second sentence is a different thought process of maybe a new sub-forum or a consideration...
    Concur. I don't see how it could be taken any other way. Following the rules of English sentence structure, "maybe" modifies "need;" it doesn't modify "should be allowed."

Not trying to be a smart-aleck. Just trying to explain why I think there's only one way to interpret his statements.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra
    Just trying to explain why I think there's only one way to interpret his statements.
    The reason I interpret it the way I do is because we currently have guidelines against it (right, wrong or otherwise). Until such time that it's changed (which I think is marcus' intent) "should be allowed" is an advisory as opposed to a mandate.

We have spoken briefly with him about the whole situation but he was in China on business making it difficult to work on the solution. I expect he'll be contacting us as soon as he's settled back home (probably after the holiday at this point).
    MarkEagle
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Fair enough. Thanks for elaborating.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Helix Holster
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    So did dutch's original question ever actually get answered? I heard about the "how," but not the "why."
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Helix Holster
  18.    #18  
    my question was not answered.

it was hidden.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    And, we have not been told about clarification of the post Marcus made either.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    The clairification to Marcus' post that I believe you're referencing is that we all decided that because banning and post moderation is often a very personal issue we prefer to deal with questions about it privately.

in that vein, Dutchtrumpet: please PM me your question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast