Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Many locked threads and unhappy Mod posts. I can understand the need for reducing foul language and insults, but still...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Many locked threads and unhappy Mod posts. I can understand the need for reducing foul language and insults, but still...
    LT -- its really bad.

So bad that you cannot even talk about it without becoming one of the banned.

Think of Stalinist times --

Its so sad how easily something so fertile of friendship, fun, passion, and intelligence -- can be so quickly extinquished.

Posts have been deleted, threads locked (threads have even been banned themselves -- only those of the exalted unmentionable status can be trusted to look upon them.)

This whole craziness vaguely reminds me of some forgotten Star Trek -- where some alien society has mostly destroyed itself in the blind application of some solution in search of a problem.

Most have now decamped for my brother munk's place -- realistically it will be hard to recreate was has been here though. And for that I am very sad.

If you haven't already, give peek at a longer post of mine in one of the locked threads --
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    LT -- its really bad.

So bad that you cannot even talk about it without becoming one of the banned.

Think of Stalinist times --

Its so sad how easily something so fertile of friendship, fun, passion, and intelligence -- can be so quickly extinquished.
    Amazing just how much your post is on the money. I hesitate to post here at all now. It really illustrates how easy it is to kill the free and open exchange of ideas.

Viva la resistance!
    to clarify...

according to TC a question equals a complaint.

a complaint is cause for banning.
    I'm sorry, did I miss something? Has something taken place here that I'm not aware of???
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I'm sorry, did I miss something? Has something taken place here that I'm not aware of???
    nothing to see here...

"break it up, break it up"
    Seems like they would rather have treo accessory/third pary software cheerleaders around here rather than listen to people with opinions.
    BARYE

I just read your post you linked in this thread and also noticed your post count when I did. 666 !!! I'm not really worried though, didn't take it personally!
    I tell you, I understand to a point with TC about the OT forum. I mean, I completely agree with any forum about rules about name calling....but I do not agree with where they drew the lines or how it was handled.

During slow times in the Phone market, I hang around here mainly due to the OT forum....which I will then skim thru the WM Software, Other Phones, and Treo 700w forums since I am here anyways and try to help out those I can. Then when the next big thing hits I am back up in the Phone forums mostly, with only skimming thru the OT topics.

If this continues, after being a long time veteran member of TC and poster, I can see me being one of the occasional visitors only, like when the next Treo with more than 32 MB comes out. I may be wrong, but I don't think I am the only one like that either.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 06/21/2006 at 02:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    to clarify...
    My turn...

according to TC a question equals a complaint.
    According to the Forum Guidelines, when they pertain to moderator actions they are to be handled via PM's (or email), not publicly here in the forums. Therefore questions in and of themselves are not complaints.

a complaint is cause for banning.
    When done publicly regarding moderator actions, that is correct.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I do not agree with where they drew the lines or how it was handled.
    The bottom line is no matter what we do or how we do it, at least one person isn't going to be happy about it. Unfortunately, there's really nothing we can do about that, and it's no different than everyday life.

When we receive complaints from users regarding someones behaviour in any given thread, we need to take appropriate action, even if that means it will be unpopular with the majority (as I think is the case with this latest go-round).

We made a collective decision to curtail the OT discussions that were leading to the vast majority of user complaints. As such, we've been made out to be the bad guys and now all the angst is directed at us. That's the nature of the beast and we realized it before we acted.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    The bottom line is no matter what we do or how we do it, at least one person isn't going to be happy about it. Unfortunately, there's really nothing we can do about that, and it's no different than everyday life.

When we receive complaints from users regarding someones behaviour in any given thread, we need to take appropriate action, even if that means it will be unpopular with the majority (as I think is the case with this latest go-round).

We made a collective decision to curtail the OT discussions that were leading to the vast majority of user complaints. As such, we've been made out to be the bad guys and now all the angst is directed at us. That's the nature of the beast and we realized it before we acted.

Please accept again my sincere thanks for your time in general and this specific answer in particular.

take care,

Phil
  13.    #13  
    Why is someone who makes a public complaint banned? As long as they don't swear or make threats at the Mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Why is someone who makes a public complaint banned? As long as they don't swear or make threats at the Mod.
    read the user agreement. complaints are to be only aired via pm...not in the public forum.
    It's a shame that if the complaints were coming from the OT section, why someone had to complain.
    Yea, maybe a particular Thread got a little "speak freely" but the complainer didn't have to be there, I mean it's like going over and standing next to people talking about something you don't want to hear, and then complaining about it.

I'm not complaining about the mods, I'm complaining about the complainers. And with out calling names, I hope the complainers are happy. Those "bullies" as some have called them, are highly intelligent peeps that brought fun to this forum. I myself never really got involved in most of those OT conversations, but I sure liked going over there for the thought and a laugh.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 06/21/2006 at 10:00 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
  16.    #16  
    I think it's OK to limit swearing and insults just to keep the place at least civil. I even agree that some posters may need a vacation(I hope the bans aren't permanent) if they can't respect that request after being asked to stop.

But on the other hand, if you allow politics and religion to be discussed, it's obvious it will get heated. The saying "if you want to keep friends, don't discuss religion and politics" is SO true, at least to some degree. I agree with Hobbes about where they drew some of the lines. And I also wonder why some stuff isn't allowed to be discussed, if there really is no harm done. I would elaborate, but then I'D probably get banned.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    My turn...

According to the Forum Guidelines, when they pertain to moderator actions they are to be handled via PM's (or email), not publicly here in the forums. Therefore questions in and of themselves are not complaints.

When done publicly regarding moderator actions, that is correct.
    Questioning a Moderators actions in public is a banning offense? Where are you guys from?

Here in America visibility and transparency insures fair treatment. Unless we're spilling secrets, we're supposed to be an open society. Thats why we can sit in on court cases and read court transcripts.

You guys need to get over yourselves, imho. I'll probably be banned for that one, but I've had enough. You apparently don't understand how free markets work. I don't want to associate or shop in a store that makes me feel uncomfortable, and the last few days, you guys have made me uncomfortable. I can't speak for others... but I think you can tell from the threads that I'm not the only one.

I've recommended Treo Central to MANY treo users, or those that are interested in treos. Not because it has great moderators.... because of the friendly, knowledgable, and helpful members. Now you want to chase them off?

Think if the OT threads kind of like the Starbucks in the Barnes and Nobles. Its a comfortable place to hang out, share a coffee with some friends, browse some mags and books, and guess what... when its time to buy a book, thats where you buy it. Even if its out of stock, more than likely you'll order it at that Barnes and Nobles before you'll look in another store.

Its the banter and humor that keeps the regulars coming back, and they drive additional traffic because they become knowledgable and supportive over time. Think about it.

I'll take that banning now, if it helps you feel in control, and thanks for your time
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    Questioning a Moderators actions in public is a banning offense? Where are you guys from?

Here in America visibility and transparency insures fair treatment. Unless we're spilling secrets, we're supposed to be an open society. Thats why we can sit in on court cases and read court transcripts.

You guys need to get over yourselves, imho. I'll probably be banned for that one, but I've had enough. You apparently don't understand how free markets work. I don't want to associate or shop in a store that makes me feel uncomfortable, and the last few days, you guys have made me uncomfortable. I can't speak for others... but I think you can tell from the threads that I'm not the only one.

I've recommended Treo Central to MANY treo users, or those that are interested in treos. Not because it has great moderators.... because of the friendly, knowledgable, and helpful members. Now you want to chase them off?

Think if the OT threads kind of like the Starbucks in the Barnes and Nobles. Its a comfortable place to hang out, share a coffee with some friends, browse some mags and books, and guess what... when its time to buy a book, thats where you buy it. Even if its out of stock, more than likely you'll order it at that Barnes and Nobles before you'll look in another store.

Its the banter and humor that keeps the regulars coming back, and they drive additional traffic because they become knowledgable and supportive over time. Think about it.

I'll take that banning now, if it helps you feel in control, and thanks for your time

I know someone who's not going to like that
    I am going to have chat with the moderators when I get back into town.

The bottom line is keep discussion civil, no faul language or attacks on other members. Questioning moderator's actions should be allowed as long as the dialog is cordial; maybe we need a seperate sub-forum for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    I am going to have chat with the moderators when I get back into town.

The bottom line is keep discussion civil, no faul language or attacks on other members. Questioning moderator's actions should be allowed as long as the dialog is cordial; maybe we need a seperate sub-forum for it.
    Thank you for taking the time to weigh in on this.

Please review the thread started by me asking for clarification on the recent closings. This thread has been hidden from general view. I simply ask you to see if toolkits posts in that thread are consistent with the work of the other mods in this forum. His manner of communication is in stark contrast with that of the other mods in my view.

It is harrassing, threating and confrontational. I submit that his standing as a mod be reviewed. I know there are many senior posters here that are in agreement with me.

If you feel that his moderation is at the level you expect then that is of course your decision and I respect that.

Thank you for your time and the site I enjoy so much.

respectfully,

Phillip H.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast