Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 128
  1. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT
    The reason most threads get closed is because of the number of bad posts in them. In some threads it simply not worth the effert to filter all the bad posts out and we go for the easier option (i.e. close the thread)
    So in some cases the good suffer from the bad
    You kill a good discussion because of one sidebar tiff or outburst. It's frustrating.

    Kind of reminds me of the typical parent/child situations where one kid acts up, and a parent shuts down the whole game as punishment. The objective of this disciplinary approach is to teach the other kids to police themselves, i.e., "you'd better stop or mom's gonna let all of us have it!"

    Personally, I always abhored that approach. It may work with kids, but I don't think it works that well with adults. Especially with those you want to keep around.
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Actually in the now hidden thread it was implied that asterisked expletives were still grounds for disciplinary action, because people know what you mean, and intention is everything....

    Surur
    If people know what you mean, and intention is everything... doesn't it mean then that the "RTFM" thread should be shut down (or renamed) and the OP warned and that any poster using LMAO or some such "shorthand" should be at the very least warned. It sound to me that you are shouting "Nannynannybooboo" once again.

    I don't think I'm concerned about being banned at this point, and in fact was seeing what kind of response I would get with my post, above. Anyway, I don't think there are enough asterix to spell out a "naughty" word.
  3. #63  
    IMHO People are overreacting. TC is trying to get things geared more toward the treo, they dont want to babysit people in the OT forums and they want people to be more civilized.

    A line has to be drawn somewhere...they drew it. I think its a little on the conservative side and I don't always agree with the moderating decisions but I respect them and I move on.

    (I do wish that if they move or lock a thread that they leave a short explanation so that others will learn what is and what is not acceptable.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    IMHO People are overreacting. TC is trying to get things geared more toward the treo, they dont want to babysit people in the OT forums and they want people to be more civilized.

    A line has to be drawn somewhere...they drew it. I think its a little on the conservative side and I don't always agree with the moderating decisions but I respect them and I move on.

    (I do wish that if they move or lock a thread that they leave a short explanation so that others will learn what is and what is not acceptable.)
    Agree
    Just call me Berd.
  5. #65  
    My respectd turned sour several months ago. I was giving advice to someone with a Versafail problem, and a mod responded that what I was suggesting simply would not work and was a stupid suggestion. I responded to the mod that "I'm sorry you've had a bad day". The 3 posts back and forth regarding this conversation mysteriously disappeared. I'd never had any experience with this before and had to tell myself that I wasn't crazy, but in fact had been somehow deleted - it was not a political issue, and I can only believe that the "Mod", in restrospect, didn't want to look like an a____. No explanation, no PM and nothing having to do with an issue outside the Treo. Go figure. I call it a Napoleon complex.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex
    In a perfect world, the whiner would have PM'd you and maybe, just maybe, it could have been handled on an adult level between the two of you.
    This has happened to me. I made a somewhat snide statement about another TC member. The other member PM'd me with some concerns, I apologized for my remark, and that was the end of it. No big deal.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    PS. what happened with blaze?

    Oh man, I come back after a week and MORE fallout! Is the OT section even going to be here if I leave again?
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    IMHO People are overreacting. TC is trying to get things geared more toward the treo, they dont want to babysit people in the OT forums and they want people to be more civilized.

    A line has to be drawn somewhere...they drew it. I think its a little on the conservative side and I don't always agree with the moderating decisions but I respect them and I move on.

    (I do wish that if they move or lock a thread that they leave a short explanation so that others will learn what is and what is not acceptable.)
    I don't think they are overreacting that much. What's the purpose of having a political OT section if you can't even speak in it?! Like I said before, I too understand the need for civility, BUT it's politics and politics ain't always polite!
  9.    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister12
    Very well said, ScandaLex. I got banned because of a retort to another poster-not obscene, mind you, and made very tongue in cheek- that allowed him to run whining to the mods. Ya gotta keep that body armor up, as you say.

    I have a question. Are these all permanent bans or are they really suspensions, as in Blaze's case? I have not seen the word "suspended" until today, so I'm just wondering.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Oh man, I come back after a week and MORE fallout! Is the OT section even going to be here if I leave again?
    I'm just curious, how many times have you comeback after a week away? I mean, it's similiar to what you initially posted that started this thread in the 1st place.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex
    In a perfect world, the whiner would have PM'd you and maybe, just maybe, it could have been handled on an adult level between the two of you.

    IMHO, I don't see why the "whiners(sort of a matter of opinion depending on the situation)" couldn't have just said "Look, I don't appreciate you speaking to me that way". Then move on, instead of going to the Mod. If people are indeed adults, they should be able to take care of themselves. If someone they don't even know says something they don't like, it's not like they have to work or live with this person. I have said similar things to other posters before, although sometimes out of anger. I guess I should be happy I didn't get banned or suspended

    I agree with much of what you said in your other posts.
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex
    I'm just curious, how many times have you comeback after a week away? I mean, it's similiar to what you initially posted that started this thread in the 1st place.

    What I mean is, I usually visit every day or every other day, when I can. But I wasn't here for about a week, due to needing to concentrate on work. I was gone the last time(when I posted the thread) for about 2 weeks, I think.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    IMHO, I don't see why the "whiners(sort of a matter of opinion depending on the situation)" couldn't have just said "Look, I don't appreciate you speaking to me that way". Then move on, instead of going to the Mod. If people are indeed adults, they should be able to take care of themselves. If someone they don't even know says something they don't like, it's not like they have to work or live with this person. I have said similar things to other posters before, although sometimes out of anger. I guess I should be happy I didn't get banned or suspended

    I agree with much of what you said in your other posts.
    Probably because the only attention they could get was from a mod.

    I've been PM'd a time or two based on something I've said that may have been taken the wrong way. We cleared the air and moved on. In all my time at TC, I've only had one instance that required moderator intervention and thats because talking to this individual like an adult didnt exist within the realm of possibilities.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    During slow times in the Phone market, I hang around here mainly due to the OT forum....which I will then skim thru the WM Software, Other Phones, and Treo 700w forums since I am here anyways and try to help out those I can. Then when the next big thing hits I am back up in the Phone forums mostly, with only skimming thru the OT topics.

    If this continues, after being a long time veteran member of TC and poster, I can see me being one of the occasional visitors only, like when the next Treo with more than 32 MB comes out. I may be wrong, but I don't think I am the only one like that either.
    Well, this is already happening. Normally for the past 2 years I would visit and at least browse the Treo / Software threads as well as....and during the slower times usually because of...the OT forum. Today was the first time that I can recall, not due to travel, I've been gone from here for a week without a thought of TC. To be truthful there just wasn't that one thread that was nagging at me to come back and check it out.

    I guess times change, and us old timers may fade with the enforcement of those changes.
  15. Jeb
    Jeb is offline
    Jeb's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #75  
    Remember me, Hobbes? You have a PM.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I don't think they are overreacting that much. What's the purpose of having a political OT section if you can't even speak in it?! Like I said before, I too understand the need for civility, BUT it's politics and politics ain't always polite!
    Two quick points:

    1. Im not sure the OT forum was ever intended to be a political forum?

    2. Polite is a subjective word, laden with ambiguity. I suspect the way you described it that it must have not been that bad. However, based on reactions of long time posters and the mods, I think at least some of the posts were beyond 'polite'.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  17.    #77  
    OT means anything OT, right? And insults did get thrown around, but that's the nature of the political discussion beast. I agree about not allowing it to get too out of hand, though. I do think some posters needed warnings, but I also think the lockings and bannings are a little excessive.
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Well, this is already happening. Normally for the past 2 years I would visit and at least browse the Treo / Software threads as well as....and during the slower times usually because of...the OT forum. Today was the first time that I can recall, not due to travel, I've been gone from here for a week without a thought of TC. To be truthful there just wasn't that one thread that was nagging at me to come back and check it out.
    I guess times change, and us old timers may fade with the enforcement of those changes.

    That's because it got probably got locked.
  19. #79  
    bump...

    any news in this ghost town?
  20. Postal's Avatar
    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #80  
    Or are the few liberal moderators still running off people they don't agree with?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions