Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Others are not far behind: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...83#post1024983
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Strawberries are in season...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Strawberries are in season...
    More like raspberries.
    <Can I say that?>
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    It depends on what you mean by raspberries. You should read the TOS and then apply what you think raspberries means to the situation. Then, you need to carefully determine if a few of the 50,000+ members of TC might read it as offensive.

Personally, I'd stick with posting only "yes" or "no" from now on.
    Last edited by Haggar; 06/18/2006 at 10:41 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    It depends on what you mean by raspberries. You should read the TOS and then apply what you think raspberries means to the situation. Then, you need to carefully determine if a few of the 50,000+ members of TC might read it as offensive.

Personally, I'd still with posting only "yes" or "no" from now on.
    Oh my, he said the "R" word!
    Yes.... No... Maybe... Perhaps on Alternate Thursdays when the moon is full...

(The above should about cover any situation, but it may not)
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    Yes.... No... Maybe... Perhaps on Alternate Thursdays when the moon is full...

(The above should about cover any situation, but it may not)
    I agree, I think. Or not.
  9.    #9  
    Let's just say I'm with you 50%.
    Jimminy Christopher, so many of you seem so fearful for saying the wrong thing.

dstrsauss? who cares. the next guy? who cares?

it's a message board folks, not a publicly appointed position
  11.    #11  
    dstrauss is one of the few people on this site that is always polite, helpful and straightforward. To single him out was uncalled for and TC has lost one of the better guys. But thank you for you inquisitive post.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    Jimminy Christopher, so many of you seem so fearful for saying the wrong thing.

dstrsauss? who cares. the next guy? who cares?

it's a message board folks, not a publicly appointed position
    YES! But NO! NO!

(Note: This was not meant to be offensive in any way. I reviewed the TOS and it appears that I am within the guidelines. Aside from being terse, which could be construed as being offensive, I do not believe I have in any way, shape, or form -- past or present -- been directly or indirectly critical of anyone or anyone's point of view. If you have been offended in any way by this post, please IM me for a person apology and, if necessary, I will send you a $25 gift card to recompense your woes. If, now -- or in the future, this post is deemed by users and/or moderators to be offense, I reserve the right to edit this post to conform with the TC TOS, the United States Constitution and/or any necessary State or local ordinances.)

[Edit: I apologize. Someone pointed out that the word "but" could be confused with the word "****" which is part of the human anotomy. I did not mean to reference anotomy, rather, I was using the word as a sort of "conjunction" to conjoin the words "yes" and "no", "no". Please accept my sincerest apologies. And for those who PM'd me, your $25 gift cards are on the way.]
    Last edited by Haggar; 06/18/2006 at 11:44 PM.
    holy smokes. I have to say kr was totally out of line with using that reference in his post. I guess the politically corrects have finally taken over. just rename it RushLimbaughCentral.com and turn off the lights. are those crickets I hear in the forums?

ds will be missed.
    ALSO!

I reread kramsauer's post about dstrauss and feel it is a blatent violation against dstrauss in his attacking him for his political views. This calls for an immediate termination of kramsauer's ability to post on TC.

If it is good for the goose it is good for the gander.
    I believe this sort of phase is something every forum community has to go through before it learns a proper balance.

It starts by the creation of a general community board for discussions that don't fit elsewhere. Unless the primary topic of the community is politics or religion the subject will end up there. The threads/topics will sometimes become heated and a few will complain. The moderators will merely clean the threads for quite awhile until it is decided that for the good of the community the discussions must end. The foundation members that make up the base of the community are offended and are against it. They are ignored as the discussions aren't thought to be that important and everyone will get over it. A few foundation members will leave causing a minor crack in the regulars that make up a good bulk of the constant replies, answers, or such of the community.

To skip along to the end since I am pressed for time.. the community is only hurt more by too firm a hand and too firm a response. A few being offended by something is hardly any reason to act in my opinion. Those that are easily offended are more likely to leave than those who have been here for years. Though the worst thing you can do is not listening to your veteran members.

You need them far more than they need you.
    Zach Roberts
    Director - Lifeless People Networks Ltd.
    http://www.lifelesspeople.com/ - Pay by Post™ Webhosting
    Proper balance is a must.

However, Trolls and civility are bigger concerns for me than banning political/religious topics in Off Topic.

I think this could have been handled and presented to the TC family in a better manner.

Heck, if we wanted to slow down these topics -- Eliminating the counting of Off Topic posts from a person's total was a little vague, in this regard.

I am not mod bashing here -- I will be the first to say they handle a no-win job with great aplomb -- but this just came down all wrong.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    I did and your using his post as an example is your calling him out on his political views. This is a sad day for TC. I agree with the policy but your example was very bad. But if you can't apologize for that then I guess it shows what the real issue is.

I agree things had gotten way out of hand in some instances but I believe the approach to solving it is a lot different then the one taken. Personnally I know many of us (if not the great majority of regular posters) have not been able to adhere to the rules so ban us all. Go ahead. But if you are going to have rules then enforce them completely not based on the political views or personal likes of the moderators. That in fact is going to cause this site to implode from within. There are a lot of newbes in here over the last few months and I believe a fair percent of them are people with multiple logins or have ben banned in the past and have come back with an agenda. The recent Threadcrapping thread is a prime example. I know others as well as I begged for that thread to be closed and nothing was done about it. You allowed a couple people to viciously and constantly go after everyone else. I personally have complained to you about threatening posts and you did nothing about them and never even read the PM's about the activity.

So decide if this is important or not to be constant and fair. If not we have other choices. Your move. Just remember not everyone has the personality you like but if you really read the posts 99% of us have something important to say and contribute. If that isn't important just let us know and add to the TOS that personalities are not allowed. We will understand.
    this place has never been the since evilghost left
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    ALSO!

I reread kramsauer's post about dstrauss and feel it is a blatent violation against dstrauss in his attacking him for his political views. This calls for an immediate termination of kramsauer's ability to post on TC.

If it is good for the goose it is good for the gander.
    Totally agree gharrd...
    at&t iPhone3G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast