Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    With all the thread closings I had to ask the question.
    Threads are closed because of user(s) complaints.
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Threads are closed because of user(s) complaints.
    Thanks. Is it people that feel insulted, or harmed personally?
    For the reported threads that we have reviewed we found that users have violated the guidelines of this forum.
    I forsee the off topic forum becoming more of a ghost town than it already is.

It was a place to escape all the newbies with dumb questions that have inundated the 700P forum, but still feel connected to the TC community.

It was a place to have adult converations. To debate, to spar, to jab, be politically incorrect, and on occasion be somewhat immature. It was fun, thought provoking, and even when on opposite sides of someone smarter than yourself (not speaking of myself here), still enjoy the exchange.

I now know why some of my recent polically incorrect posts have been edited without comment, even after I asked, and never received a response. There was no cursing in those posts, but a politically incorrect satire on current events.

I have not read TC's TOS, but am inclined to think it is open to interpretation.
    Question: If someone posts info about Ann Coulter's comments, and someone is offended, is the thread closed? Poster banned? What if someone is offended by the commments of Cindy Shehan?

I can live without the cursing & personal attacks, but I hate the feeling of having to walk on egg shells when discussing any hot potato topic.
    Last edited by ScaryHumor; 06/18/2006 at 09:59 PM.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor
    I forsee the off topic forum becoming more of a ghost town than it already is.

It was a place to escape all the newbies with dumb questions that have inundated the 700P forum, but still feel connected to the TC community.

It was a place to have adult converations. To debate, to spar, to jab, be politically incorrect, and on occasion be somewhat immature. It was fun, thought provoking, and even when on opposite sides of someone smarter than yourself (not speaking of myself here), still enjoy the exchange.

I now know why some of my recent polically incorrect posts have been edited without comment, even after I asked, and never received a response. There was no cursing in those posts, but a politically incorrect satire on current events.

I have not read TC's TOS, but am inclined to think it is open to interpretation.
    Question: If someone posts info about Ann Coulter's comments, and someone is offended, is the thread closed? Poster banned? What if someone is offended by the commments of Cindy Shehan?

I can live without the cursing & personal attacks, but I hate the feeling of having to walk on egg shells when discussing any hot potato topic.
    I'm sort of the "Morton Downey Jr." conservative. So I'll hold my tongue around here. All I can say is...I agree with everything you said.
    Do people who are banned or otherwise edited have the right to know who complained? Is the complainer always by default "right", no matter how overly-sensitive they may be? Perhaps such incidents could be taken to a private forum where just the complainer, the one complained about, and the moderators could hash it out. If one moderator makes a decision, do the other mods by default back them up, no matter their own feelings on the subject? Can a Moderator be moderated? Just asking questions- please don't complain about it or be offended.

Thank You.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor
    ...clip...

...clip...

But as far as the:
    I'm intelligent enough to know what you’re really saying.
    I am offended and consider the " " completely inappropriate.
    Just call me Berd.
    I'm just a noob here but it seems to me that if you're going to start cracking down on TOS violators then you need to include flame baiters.
    I will state this for the record:

TreoCentral was established to provide user based exchanged of information with regards to the Treo product line and Palm related products as well as its competition. It is a site dedicated for users helping users and sharing their experiences to help others with the use of smartphones/combo PDA/handhelds with preference to Palm based products. The focus is and will always be the Treo (or until the next generation comes along).

The Off Topic forum was established for postings that does not relate to the Treo or any of the other products but does not in any way shape or form says that it should endorse nor promote any political or religious discussions. This forum is open topic format as members comes from varying backgrounds. The Off Topic forum is also subject to existing guidelines.

As of last year, we have noted that the site has been losing its original focus as the primary discussions was about politics. We needed a way to bring the site back to its original focus, hence the removal of the post counts on the Off Topic forum was implemented.

Lately, the same heated discussions continued to happen in the political threads today, despite the existing guidelines and despite what users call friendly jabs, etc. We are taking the actions you are seeing as a reaction to bring back focus to the original site intent. We hope you understand our goal.

To those that feel their political point of views were offended because of the action we are taking, I offer my sincerest apology. No other moderators needs to be blamed about these actions. This stops here with me.

I will state this one more time; this site is about Treo and will remain so and we (as the site moderators) will keep it so until the owner and/or administrators of the site informs us differently.

Thank you.
    So, you are stating that dstraus's post was highlighted -- not for language or or challenges to another -- but for being on a political/religious topic?
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/19/2006 at 06:17 AM.
    I spend most of my TC time in OT. Perhaps I represent what the mods are trying to avoid.

But, just so I can know how to proceed, is the desired outcome that political/religious topics be avoided? Or is the goal to have civil discussions whatever the topic?
    Last edited by shopharim; 06/19/2006 at 07:15 AM. Reason: typo
    Yes, instead of the "Be Like Mike" thought in basketball, it should be "Be Like Shop" on the TC Forum. Always polite, always thoughtful, always aware that there are opposing viewpoints.

(Sorry if this embarrasses you Shop, but it is true, at least of all of your posts that I have read.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Yes, instead of the "Be Like Mike" thought in basketball, it should be "Be Like Shop" on the TC Forum. Always polite, always thoughtful, always aware that there are opposing viewpoints.

(Sorry if this embarrasses you Shop, but it is true, at least of all of your posts that I have read.)

Cheers, Perry.
    No embarrassment.
    Last edited by shopharim; 06/19/2006 at 07:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    I will state this one more time; this site is about Treo and will remain so and we (as the site moderators) will keep it so until the owner and/or administrators of the site informs us differently.
    Rather confusing to have an Off Topic section if it needs to be about Treo?
    I would have rather seen the mods go after the offenders rather than just closing down discussions where there were many people posting within guidelines and sharing good information. Maybe its just a baby and bathwater thing.
    so you are deleting the off topic forum?
    I think you should edit the part about this site being "about Treos," or at least clarify it. Afterall, there is a fairly active "Other Handhelds" forum here.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffa
    Rather confusing to have an Off Topic section if it needs to be about Treo?
    I would have rather seen the mods go after the offenders rather than just closing down discussions where there were many people posting within guidelines and sharing good information. Maybe its just a baby and bathwater thing.
    Which is why they have not closed the Off Topic section, nor have they banned political discussion here. If you look, the actions so far have been to close threads that lack "civility", and ban extreme TOS violators.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    I spend most of my TC time in OT. Perhaps I represent what the mods are trying to avoid.

But, just so I can know how to proceed, is the desired outcome that political/religious topics be avoided? Or is the goal to have civil discussions whatever the topic?
    Gone for the weekend and I seemed to have missed a lot......so I am with Shop. I spend quite a bit of time in OT and I also would be interesting in clarifying the guidelines and/or expectations in the OT forum.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I also would be interesting in clarifying the guidelines and/or expectations in the OT forum.

Thanks.
    And to see it used consistently and with everyone.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast