1.    #1  
    am I the onlt one tired of seeing people say "do a search first, already posted in 'everything and the kitchen sink thread'" it is silly to have thread police combining every thread of a similar topic. I'd rather have 20 threads than 1 huge thread.

owners FYI I visit and read TC less because no way am I wading through a 500 post thread to find 10 legitimately different topics/subjects that I'm interested in. So I just don't do it. I look elsewhere for news.

people cut the thread policing. let multiple posts on same topics. tired of obsession w/ maintaining threads. a 1000 post 10 topic thread is less useful than 10, 100 post threads
    I really wish there was a balanced solution. When I want info here at TC, I do a search and often find 10+ dead ends. But then again, understanding your point of view, reading a long thread, hoping to find the answer, is also frustrating. I see a legit concern. I know we live in a instant society, and don't often think of the long term results. As more and more Treo owners end up here, we are going to see more and more of both concerns (long threads / repeated posts) I am going to give this some deep consideration.
    But just off the Top of my head, I see a bigger long term problem with repeated posts. I tend to think a fewer threads on a particular subject, w/ differing scenarios would be a better long term solution for TC, rather than an ever increasing mess of repeated questions.
    Just call me Berd.
    FWIW, when I see a question and know I've seen the answer in another thread, I just type Answer: (link). Passes on the needed info, along with a helluva hint that "search is your friend," without all the wordy lecturing.
    Thread length here is nothing compared to HoFo. but you are right, long threads are useless when you're trying to find an answer. Perhaps a forum called 'distilled wisdom' is what is needed -- a collection of FAQs and info pulled by people who have searched the threads. Me for instance. I put a fair amount of effort into software to track travel expenses. I could distill the threads' wisdom to one place. Oh, hell. One link. www.adarian.com.

But this takes actual benevolent action. It is easier to be a cranky search nazi which why it is nice to see

Answer: <link>

rather than attitude.

OK. Enough from me. We are a long way from 500 on this thread. Get to work.
    Last edited by Tastypeppers; 05/12/2006 at 10:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRenegade
    FWIW, when I see a question and know I've seen the answer in another thread, I just type Answer: (link). Passes on the needed info, along with a helluva hint that "search is your friend," without all the wordy lecturing.
    I could be wrong,
    but I think the 'Search First' days are close to over.
    Especially for those who get a 700p (what a cluttered mess!)
    So, more people buy a Treo - Join T/C and start posting.
    The end result; more New and Longer Threads.
    And also, who has the Link? I guess I could search for it.
    Just call me Berd.
    A searchable, organized, up-to-date knowledge base has been suggested (and for some unkown reasons, rejected) in the past. I personally think this is the best solution. Leave the forums for the endless blathering (er....discussions) and take any points of value and add them to the KB. Readers could use the "alert" button to flag a post that is KB worthy and the mods could distill that knowledge/wisdom/factoid/crucial link, etc into the KB....and leave the multiple threads alone. If someone wants to search through and read the forums...let them. If someone wants info...search the KB. I'm pretty sure this could be easily accomplished by creating a dedicated forum that was READ-ONLY for the users...only admins/mods could modify the threads (by copying/pasting the distilled info).

Seem reasonable?
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    I think ExtraOrdinaryJo's point is right. A KB would be useful. But there is that small matter of who is going to do the actual work. I personally want all of the benefits of that KB but am not willing to put much effort in at all.

Hofo is pretty much useless. Check out the 57 page (!) thread on the impending E61. Or the MDA/SDA threads. Good luck on getting info out of those places.

Anyway, this thread is still in single digits. We haven't broken 10 posts yet. 500 is a long way off. We can get there. Think of the irony: a 500 post thread with gripes about 500 post threads.
    The answer to who would do the work is not that hard. I'm sure we have plenty of volunteers here. Break it up into sections and give some mod(s) rights over only their section(s). I think the initial compilation of data would be a good amount of work, but ongoing maintenance/updating shouldn't be all that bad.

I'd love to hear what some of the mods/admins think about this.
    - Albert Einstein
    I'm guessing you guys dont have a lot of friends.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    What the hell is your useless comment supposed to mean?

I'm guessing you got beat up in the schoolyard quite often.

Isn't guessing fun?
    - Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo

Isn't guessing fun?
    Seville Der Daygo
    Tousand Bussinero
    Nojo Demis Truks
    Vats Inum

Kausen Ducs
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo

Isn't guessing fun?
    This coming from a guy who's avatar is a killing...PLEASE...

Quit your bellyaching, and learn to use Advanced Search. Check the "Post" rather than "Thread" option and you 'll come much closer to your actual answer instead of scrolling through a long Thread.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    And that their friends have even fewer...