Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ...and it's gigawatts you crazy primate!!!


    Didn't you see Back to the Future?
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Didn't you see Back to the Future?
    I KNOW Mike personally, so yes, I saw them.

    Somebody ban this here yankee too.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by MJSgl
    perpetuate a (decently believable) hoax for more than one hour or 100 posts on said hoax thread, whichever happens first.

    Seriously, how many hours of United States GDP just when down the drain permanently due to the lost productivity of a couple thousand (members and non) TCers who have followed the one (perhaps two) hoax threads from the last couple days?

    If an individual wants to get some ego boosting kicks and laughs out of it, fine, but said individual should reap what he sows, and accept his/her punishment as a legit price to pay.

    (And yes, I'm aware that I'm being dramatic and taking this way too seriously, but DAMN am I PO'd!!)
    I wouldn't be too worried about our GDP

    the websites that picked this story up are ones that entertain rumors --- its not like the NYTimes.com was running it the next day

    and at the end of the day, this is a rumor board - putting in 'laws' against hoaxes doesn't make sense --- if you support laws like that, then don't bother posting and reading within 'rumor' boards

    the stock market understands the difference between rumor boards and news sites --- I don't think harm was done --- if anything, it sends a message to Palm that they need to GET GOING --- and I don't mind that message

    I will say this though ---

    I am in favor of banning Slinky

    not because he purported a false rumor that exploded --- heck, that's the risk we take by participating on rumor boards

    but I do support the banning on the basis of the fact that he is a coward

    seriously --- trying to convince us that his actions were one of "farce" and not of "hoax" --- give me a damn break

    a farce is saying that the Treo comes with 2 gigs of memory, not 132 mb's

    a farce is saying that the Treo comes with a 10 PM camera, not a 3.2 one

    not to mention the fact that, upon being called out, Slinky continued to answer questions, with confidence that the device existed --- such an action contradicted his intentions of the idea that his story would be dismissed as a joke --- Slinky proactively fought for his story to be spread (unlike how he describes himself now)

    I don't really care if someone wants to do this as a joke --- as a matter of fact, its amazing to see the attention it got so quickly

    however, to come back and defend oneself, as if, there is no responsbility involved for the things that took place, in addition to calling, what is a HOAX, a farce, is pure cowardice

    that's my take --- so don't ban people who make up lies/hoaxes --- but no worries on banning cowards
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by HasanDaddy
    a farce is saying that the Treo comes with a 10 PM camera, not a 3.2 one
    Anyone who's been tracking Palm's movement on Treo hardware will pretty much agree that jumping from the current camera to a 3.2 mp version qualifies as a farce. That, more than anything else, gave it away for me.

    All this being said, this was one of the funniest jokes I've seen in a long time. If he violated the TOS by enlisting multiple accounts to get around the initial ban (right, wrong, or whatever), then I don't have a problem with extending his ban. But I do have a problem with a permanent ban over his initial actions. This is a message board that isn't supported by Palm. Anything you hear out here can be 100% right, 100% wrong, or a shade in between. Believe what you want at your own peril, but as far as I'm concerned, I only believe specs that are printed on the side of the box (and now, not even that, given the WiFi fiascos of years past).

    If you choose to believe what some random posts on a message board, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

    This did make for an interesting social experiment though.
    I'm back!
  5. #25  
    What if gfunk saying he's banning slinky was a hoax?
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by HasanDaddy
    the websites that picked this story up are ones that entertain rumors --- its not like the NYTimes.com was running it the next day
    No, the NY Times only picks up the stories that are complete lies.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS
    What if gfunk saying he's banning slinky was a hoax?

    Ummm...yeah I don't think so especially since this fool Slinky still thinks he can go on other sites to continue hsi flaming:

    http://www.palminfocenter.com/commen...ID=8358#118246

    Doesn't he know I'm a mod over at PIC? Looks like he a double banning bonus!
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  8. #28  
    Gfunk Good For You About The Banning And Thanks For Moder. At Both Sites, Kewl! Apparently Slinky thinks or thought it is funny or is/was a joke. I'm not laughing. A while ago, there was a parody of the new treo, it was very funny, but it was posted as a parody. This was posted as the truth. Makes slinky not funny at all. Take Care, Jay
    Last edited by ilovedessert; 02/06/2006 at 07:47 PM.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  9. #29  
    Surur, and for my questioning of those with stories with holes in it I take the abusive language of the likes of Biog Tex threatening physical violence against me. Simply because I see through the hoax. Are some of these people just in 7th grade still?

    We all need to have resolve in not alowing these things to continue.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Surur, and for my questioning of those with stories with holes in it I take the abusive language of the likes of Biog Tex threatening physical violence against me. Simply because I see through the hoax. Are some of these people just in 7th grade still?

    We all need to have resolve in not alowing these things to continue.
    To paraphrase Insertion (wow, he just got quoted!), people believe what they want to believe. Despite the fact that Slinky had no verifiable proof that he saw a 700p/800p, despite the fact that he posted outrageous specs on the new device, and despite the fact that he deliberately and blatantly planted hints in his posts that this was all a farce, people believed him. And not only did they believe him, but it caused a frenzy, both on this sites and others that want to call themselves "reputable". Are you kidding me??? That's what news reporting has come down to now? Places like Palminfocenter and Endgaget reporting "news" from what a random poster posts on a message board? If you're willing to use a message board as a source, you got what you deserved. And you deserve to be embarrased, and spend a little more time in the future fact checking before you post something as news. Link to it as a rumor and it's fine, call it news and you're looking for trouble.

    For those looking for Palm to sue Slinky over this, or for the SEC to investigate Slinky for possible stock price tampering, give me an effing break. Real analysts would never consider issuing buy, hold, or sell statements over a posting in a message board. If you're buying or selling stock based upon what someone is saying who is clearly not related to Palm, Sprint, Verizon, HTC, or a brokerage...wow, please let me be your analyst. I promise that one of us will get rich. Palm's stock has tracked pretty evenly with the DJIA, S&P 500, NASDAQ composite in February, so you'll have a pretty hard time proving fraud.

    The only thing funnier than the initial farce is the backlash, where now everyone wants slinky permanently banned, burned at the stake, drawn and quartered, tarred and feathered, sued, jailed....A week ago he was a hero to a lot of people here. He should've opened your eyes to something....none of this is important.

    gharrod, dont' worry about people jumping all over the skeptic. Remember, on the internet, everyone's a tough guy. Big Tex is probably a 15 year old kid confused about his orientation, and he's got a lot of anger issues.
    I'm back!
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by MJSgl
    perpetuate a (decently believable) hoax for more than one hour or 100 posts on said hoax thread, whichever happens first.

    Seriously, how many hours of United States GDP just when down the drain permanently due to the lost productivity of a couple thousand (members and non) TCers who have followed the one (perhaps two) hoax threads from the last couple days?

    If an individual wants to get some ego boosting kicks and laughs out of it, fine, but said individual should reap what he sows, and accept his/her punishment as a legit price to pay.

    (And yes, I'm aware that I'm being dramatic and taking this way too seriously, but DAMN am I PO'd!!)

    But you have to admit that the real Treo 700P made it's appearance after all was done and said. Maybe those postings prompted someone to put the Treo 700P out in a user's hand. I admit that I enjoyed reading the posts of Slinky and I so so wanted them to be right. I hold no ill will towards him; Of course Slinky can always create a another user name and be right back with us. I agree that he took the whole Palm world to task as all the major sites accepted this as "gospel" truth (or at least to post it). I even told my wife that I had brought the wrong case from Vaja (I purchased the Vaja case for the 700W which should work fine on the P; if not I would have regroup my monies by selling it on ebay.

    May be just set a time limit of no more than two hours; regardless the number of posts.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Ummm...yeah I don't think so especially since this fool Slinky still thinks he can go on other sites to continue hsi flaming:

    http://www.palminfocenter.com/commen...ID=8358#118246

    Doesn't he know I'm a mod over at PIC? Looks like he a double banning bonus!
    I'm a lawyer, and guys like Slinky (and others who love to spout law-school legalisms every chance they get) are the ones who give us a bad name. Watch, I'll get the threats from him now.

    I didn't think what Slinky did with his lies was the problem. Stupid, no class, and bad form - yes. However, his other statements show a ban is warranted. He said this as shown from Gfunk's link:

    TreoCentral has no credibility. As posted by sursur here in its entirety, anyone who successfully completed high school would have seen through the 800p joke, like virtually everyone here did.

    GFUNKMAGIC AND TREOCENTRAL -- YOU HAVE ENGAGED IN LIBEL AND IN PUBLISHING BLATANT FALSE INFORMATION AND EXPOSING YOURSELF TO SIGNIFICANT LIABILITY.

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...8&page=1&pp=20

    Your statement that I "admitted to lying" is not only blatantly false but is a disgrace to forum owners everywhere. You have so much egg on your face from being unable to restrain yourself from having "the scoop" that you are really showed the world you "banned" the user. Wowsa. Not that I couldn't open another acccount if I wanted to and you'd ever know or that I couldn't post anywhere like here with a more mature community. But I'd rather you and TreoCentral lose my current and future page views, the business I brought both personally and via others who will no longer patronize your store.

    But now you've engaged in revising posts in your forums. How easy it is to bash a poster who can't defend himself and deal with your *outright lie*. Nobody is impressed except for a bunch of pre-teens a TreoCentral who want action against me because my post may have manipulated Palm's stock! It is SO FUNNY that people are laughing AT YOU. Let me say in closing that if your libelous statement above about my "admission" causes me damage in any way, I will go after you and TreoCentral.
    The mods here at TC are all volunteers, and they don't need this garbage. Also, TreoCentral doesn't need threats from wanna-be lawyers like Slinky. Because of the threats to sue, I say send the guy to "purpleX-land" permanently.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  13. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by HasanDaddy
    I wouldn't be too worried about our GDP

    the websites that picked this story up are ones that entertain rumors --- its not like the NYTimes.com was running it the next day

    and at the end of the day, this is a rumor board - putting in 'laws' against hoaxes doesn't make sense --- if you support laws like that, then don't bother posting and reading within 'rumor' boards

    the stock market understands the difference between rumor boards and news sites --- I don't think harm was done --- if anything, it sends a message to Palm that they need to GET GOING --- and I don't mind that message

    I will say this though ---

    I am in favor of banning Slinky

    not because he purported a false rumor that exploded --- heck, that's the risk we take by participating on rumor boards

    but I do support the banning on the basis of the fact that he is a coward

    seriously --- trying to convince us that his actions were one of "farce" and not of "hoax" --- give me a damn break

    a farce is saying that the Treo comes with 2 gigs of memory, not 132 mb's

    a farce is saying that the Treo comes with a 10 PM camera, not a 3.2 one

    not to mention the fact that, upon being called out, Slinky continued to answer questions, with confidence that the device existed --- such an action contradicted his intentions of the idea that his story would be dismissed as a joke --- Slinky proactively fought for his story to be spread (unlike how he describes himself now)

    I don't really care if someone wants to do this as a joke --- as a matter of fact, its amazing to see the attention it got so quickly

    however, to come back and defend oneself, as if, there is no responsbility involved for the things that took place, in addition to calling, what is a HOAX, a farce, is pure cowardice

    that's my take --- so don't ban people who make up lies/hoaxes --- but no worries on banning cowards
    I thought the NY Times was into printing rumors.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  14. #34  
    OK, I take it back. After reading his rant on PIC, he deserves the permaban.

    But the joke and the ensuing frenzy was still funny.
    I'm back!
  15. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #35  
    Ban him, I know my vote counts as nothing, but he is out of control on other boards also.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  16. #36  
    I've totally changed my tune on The Slink. He needs the TC Death Penalty.

    I've said the initial ban was a bit extreme, in fact if anyone should've been banned, it was everyone that believed his story.

    However, it's pretty obvious to me, and most of you that Slinky has deeper issues, and deserves a lifetime ban.

    <LEGAL DISCLAIMER, WHAT FOLLOWS IS MY OPINION AND NOT FACTUAL.>

    Slinky is IN MY OPINION a psychopath. Anyone that is so obssessed with an online forum that he continues to create new accounts, as well as rant and rave on other sites is a nut.

    I would hate to be an ex-girlfriend of his. Can you say RESTRAINING ORDER??

    Something is not quite right mentally with him. I don't know the root of it, frankly don't give a ****, but this is the same kind of stuff that leads to restraining orders, and workplace (or Postal if you prefer) killing sprees.

    Once again, this is MY OPINION, since I know in your psychosis Slinky, you're reading this and have started the motions of signing in with another name, only to threaten to sue me as well. Whatever dude...

    Get over it. Seek help. You have deeper issues you need to work out, than being banned from here.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  17. #37  
    After a long day of dealing with business issues believe it or not you guys are very entertaining. No wonder this forum survives in the face of the scams and others look here first for news.

    Ok, it was happy hour at the bar. What can I say.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Slinky is IN MY OPINION a psychopath. Anyone that is so obssessed with an online forum that he continues to create new accounts, as well as rant and rave on other sites is a nut.
    That's funny. This is coming from the guy who is Insertion AND Doom AND Perry AND Lady Treo AND ATM AND Clairegrrl, depending on his mood.

    I'm back!
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    That's funny. This is coming from the guy who is Insertion AND Doom AND Perry AND Lady Treo AND ATM AND Clairegrrl, depending on his mood.

    ROFL, that one gave me a big grin
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Ummm...yeah I don't think so especially since this fool Slinky still thinks he can go on other sites to continue hsi flaming:

    http://www.palminfocenter.com/commen...ID=8358#118246

    Doesn't he know I'm a mod over at PIC? Looks like he a double banning bonus!
    What an *****. The time stamps at PalmInfoCenter dont lie -- it is you, gfunkmagic, who made it a point to publicize banning Slinky FIRST and it even says so in the post quoted. You should question why gfunk is trying so hard and whether what he is telling you is really true....

    See: http://www.palminfocenter.com/commen...ID=8358#118150

    Now it seems that gfunkmagic has been on a rampage and this little joke on TreoCentral now features his own libel and smearing on third party sites. It has started causing other problems and animosity/retaliation elsewhere. Just to start, look at this one in addition to PalmInfoCenter.

    http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/smartp...med-152390.php

    This was once was a blatantly obvious and totally harmless joke. Why is Gfunk so embarassed to the point of putting up Las Vegas-like "BANNED" AND "FAKE" message subjects here? Because from realizing he moderates several sites, apparently he may have pushed this "scoop" to all the places people here were so surprised the "story" got published. Now all he had to do was send ONE confirmatory note to Slinky and that's it. Any "news reporter" would have done at least this. But he didn't bother. He prematurely ejaculated this story to as many places as possible. So now he's 10 times more embarassed than anyone else would be.

    So why this last post here?

    Guarav/gfunkmagic -- There is no appropriate display of contacting anyone at TreoCentral regarding disputes or other issues. Thus I am posting this here. You've been asked nicely and maturely and this is the very last time. Your libelous post went way too far and is now an embarassment for everyone involved, including everyone at TreoCentral. Please remove it and publish an appropriate retraction. Do not force me to have these things done for you. If you and the wanna-be high-school lawyers want to start using big words like "terms of service" or start a class action for manipulating Palm's stock (is that hilarious or what?), go right ahead. You will learn all about what those terms mean and realize that some of us actually have done real business that you guys just talk about as a distant spectator.

    IT seems that YOU and not any other site is taking this news SO seriously. Now a thread on how to deal with your own mistake. Think about how much you've already embarassed TreoCentral with your tirade.

    PS - If it hasn't dawned on you, I couldn't care less about not posting here. What I do care about is changing my private information, subscriptions and other related matters concerning me and my business which you have prevented me from dealing with properly. For the very last time and maturely, I am requesting this access, your removal and retraction of the libel.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions