Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Thanks to:
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Thanks to Scottymomo's post quoted above:
    I think I have a better understanding of why some post before doing a search.
    I guess I was one of those kids that when I asked mom what a word meant, she would say 'go look it up'.

I have found it almost impossible to do that here at T/C.
    For example; When I do an 'Advance Search' in Titles Only, on 'Hotsync' I get 500 hits.
    I'm sure out of all 500, atleast one will answer my question. I suppose I could narrow it down by choosing to search only in 650's.

And now with the 700's coming out, we will get to see even more of the same questions asked over and over again.

Soon, we are going to see people starting their post with the statement: 'I tried a search on this question, and got so many hits, that I thought it would be easier to just ask it again.'

I came into the Treo world with no palm experience. And without asking the same question thats been asked before, by learning how to Search the Forums, I have been able to accomplish so much with my 650, and I love it.
    The Forums here and over at Mytreo.net and Shadowmite, have been such an aid.
    And I would like to express my appreciation for all the knowledge found and shared by all.
    Without Questions there would be No Answers.
    So, Let's just search alittle more before we Post.

*edited out by me because of responses to my original post: (So, if I Post a Treo question thats been asked before, will somebody tell me to go look for myself?
    I wish somebody would!)
    Sorry, that was a little harsh
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/06/2006 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Adjusted My Thinking.
    Just call me Berd.
    I agree but sometimes you need a little help knowing what words to search for ;-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I search a lot too, but you still don't always get what you need. I still cannot find answers to WM5 software questions even though we've been invaded.
    Looks like I'll have to do my own trial and error and hope I don't kill my device. I hate hard resets.

For Palm software, I will probably find all the info I need.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I still cannot find answers to WM5 software questions even though we've been invaded.
    I just ask him.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I did too, but I think he's sick of hearing from me.

What I'm going to do is download what I think is safe on the card for now. If it won't work right from the card, then I know it needs to be on the device. But I do wish I knew of a good WM5 uninstaller(just in case) so I could go ahead and install some on the device.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #6  
    I'm glad to here from some Senior TC members.
    I believe that most Seasoned Users have learned Forum Etiquette.
    I was hoping for alittle more bites here.
    The concern I have is that as more and more of the "Same Questions" get asked, the more difficult it will be for people to find the answer to their problems.
    I did another 'Advance Search' in Titles Only, on 'Hotsync' and this time choose to search only '650 Hardware' and still got 280 hits.
    As I mentioned earlier: Soon, we are going to see people starting their post with the statement: 'I tried a search on this question, and got so many hits, that I thought it would be easier to just ask it again.'
    By-no-means would I wan't to discourage questions.
    Without Questions there would be No Answers.
    So, Let's just search alittle more before we Post.
    Thanks to All at T/C.
    Just call me Berd.
    There have been some concerted efforts to collate all the raw info into something more easily searchable/usable such as the T|C faq and the MTDN KB.

Although some of it is out-of-date and/or 600-specific, it's still a useful place for at least new folks to search. For more experienced people, it's often easier to write it down once and then just post the link. The hard part is just getting it written down the first time.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    We tried to use the forum stickies by listing suggested threads to read. The same topic still gets posted anyway, re: blinking star, orange blob, etc. They get merged eventually when any of the mods spots them or the thread has been reported.

By the way, we do welcome suggestions on good quality threads to read. If you see any old threads that does not apply anymore and has a resolution, send those up to my attention.
    The first Day I got my Treo 300 a few eyars ago, was also the first time I posted to this site. The person answered, was kind of snotty about not looking it up myself. Which would have been fine and good, If I fully usderstood how the site worked. In my opinion, there is no harm in asking what may be asked before.

For the very most part, peole will be glad to pleasantly give you info. Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  11.    #11  
    After going thru some of these responses, and particularly Scotty’s link above,
    I have edited my original post above.
    I still wish there was a way, for me to find the answer to a certain issue without reaching so many dead ends.
    The same questions asked Over and Over.
    Just call me Berd.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert
    The first Day I got my Treo 300 a few eyars ago, was also the first time I posted to this site. The person answered, was kind of snotty about not looking it up myself. Which would have been fine and good, If I fully usderstood how the site worked. In my opinion, there is no harm in asking what may be asked before.

For the very most part, peole will be glad to pleasantly give you info. Take care, Jay
    Yea, We get enough Snotty & Snooty
    But, what I am having a hard time understanding is, if someone knows how to use a computer, and then the internet, and then google, or something else that led them to this site. And then they figure out how to post and where.
    Why is it we see questions like: "is there a way to run programs from my SD Card?" and they posted in Hardware.

But, I think I have given up anyway. Because it just keeps happening more and more. And they are already saying what I said they would soon be saying: "I tried a search, but..."
    Hey, atleast I'm concerned about the Big Issues Facing The World Today
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    We tried to use the forum stickies by listing suggested threads to read. The same topic still gets posted anyway, re: blinking star, orange blob, etc. They get merged eventually when any of the mods spots them or the thread has been reported.

By the way, we do welcome suggestions on good quality threads to read. If you see any old threads that does not apply anymore and has a resolution, send those up to my attention.
    Maybe we need an updated Wiki type FAQ section (that never ages). The entries there are mostly about Treo 600 ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Agree, if we can get the Admins to implement changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    For example; When I do an 'Advance Search' in Titles Only, on 'Hotsync' I get 500 hits. I'm sure out of all 500, atleast one will answer my question. I suppose I could narrow it down by choosing to search only in 650's.
    Just to add another component.....

So I don't have to type the answer up all over again, I conduct another search to find the answer I typed yesterday, last week, last month.....actually just did it now and it's only 72 threads....well 73 if you count this one....tomorrow will be 74 . Most of these can be weeded out quickly by the title as if BT syncing isn't your problem, than that will eliminate about 25%.

I will usually do that search , provide one or two links and then expalin how I searched....the ole "feed a man a fish AND teach a man to fish" approach.

Now with 1,400 or so posts myself and a year of reading "search you damn fool" posts, I almost ventured the anger of the search gods yesterday cause I couldn't for the life or me remember how to "Edit Categories" on my 650....when I realized (it was an epiphany day I guess) "unfiled" didn't cycle thru the thumbpad, I said no more need for "useless crap" category for GetGood, Express, Welcome, Tour, I'll just leave them in unfiled, I wnated to delete two categories I wasn't using...checked every screen in every "original Treo" program and couldn't find it. Searched the boards for 45 minites using various serach words...no luck.....yahoo'd no luck....even googled which I don't like to use as it gets way more irrelevant hits with no luck. Then after reading something that came close to an actual hint, a bit flew loose in my brain and I finally remembered that Edit Categories was a category in the category list.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 02/16/2006 at 07:40 PM.
  16.    #16  
    Lately there has been such a flood of Posts.
    A guy (sorry forgot name) earlier Compared us to Mytreo, saying they're nicer over there, because people answer his questions over there.
    Lately, I have been spending alot of time trying to help out.
    James who seems to be available full time answering questions that get asked over and over and over (I'm not exagerating) I started a Post called ENA TroubleShooter to try and eliminate these repeated questions.
    We have got to get these New Ones educated. They figured out how to get here and post. They can figure out how to search. But as I said it may be too late for that. Because it takes a lot of filtering now, and choosing just the right words, maybe even putting in "*"s So I don't think we can fix it.

Whewww.... OK, done w/ Rant.
    I will go back to trying and answer everbodies questions, even if they don't feel like searching a little themselves.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/16/2006 at 07:46 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
    I hear you and agree. We do appreciate you and the other users for putting up their own time to help new users.

I try to help as much as I can whenenver I can. On contrast, MTDN do have lots of users that can cover 24/7 on the site plus a full staffing of mods and admins.
    My quick thoughts as a search marketer by day: Searching first is obviously preferred, but sometimes no matter the keywords/technique, one is limited by the tools used. Basically, there doesn't seem to be a very strong relevancy algorithm factored in to the search function. On the surface it seems that as long as a thread has the search term(s), results are then simply ordered by date. Then the user may possibly have to wade through pages of results. MTDN has some additional relevancy algorithm in use that seems to work decently (maybe more relevancy points if the term is in the thread title, frequency within thread counts for something, etc.).

Newbie or not, the "top" results here (without using advanced search queries) aren't always the most relevant, which is part of what leads to many of the "I tried searching but...." posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    Newbie or not, the "top" results here (without using advanced search queries) aren't always the most relevant, which is part of what leads to many of the "I tried searching but...." posts.
    Yes, I wish it was easier to get to advanced search cause that's all I seem to find helpful.
  20.    #20  
    This was the thread I was refering to, over at the RT*M thread.
    Just call me Berd.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast