Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Here's the next new Thread Title by a Newbie:
    "How do I Start a New Thread"
    Just call me Berd.
    I understand that sometimes if you're searching for a more obscure peace of Treo-related information that you might not turn up much, but c'mon, how hard is it to find something on an AIM client, or a ringtone manager? And are these people who're newbies to TC also newbies to the internet? Apparently so, if they don't know how to use Google(or other search engines).

Case in point: In this thread(post #12, to be exact), someone claiming to be a newbie(even though he/she has been on the site since 2004) asked a fairly stupid question. And I replied in a fairly sarcastic/cynical manner. Was I wrong?

And in response to the link Scottymomo provided: are we children? Do we need to be especially sensitive of everyone's feelings all the time? Gimme a break...
    Last edited by ShannonElements; 04/20/2006 at 07:16 AM.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  3.    #23  
    Shannon,
    That Cake is Way Too Irritating!
    Please Find Something Else.
    Or Slow it Down.
    Just call me Berd.
    I think forum users (just about every forum I've been on) just have to GET OVER IT and stop whining about people who post a question that's been asked 1000 times. Just because they (we) are on here every day and know the discussions intimately, it doesn't mean the new guy has any clue at all as to what or how to find the answer they need. Also, understand that often people come on to a forum for the first time in their lives and have no friggin' clue what they're doing, how it works, or what the 'etiquette' is.
    They just want to know how to turn on their Treo or what a data plan is.

So the same question got posted again for the 1001th time, BFD! Answer it with a link to the thread with the answer and move on and politely suggest the keywords they can use to find more information. If you can't handle it, then you shouldn't be an answer forum. The whole point of the forum is for those in the know to help those not in the know how to find what they want. So if you're a know it all, then contribute and don't jump on people for asking.
    Furthermore it doesn't help when people reply needlessly to threads with one-liner remarks that are off topic, making a simple discussion turn into a 85 page which is nearly impossible to find information in. I'm all for mindless banter, but you need to understand it's counter-productive to your plea to people to do searches first.
    This forum literally is a haystack and sometimes it's hard to find even those 1000 needles.

The only thing I don't have much tolerance for is when the subject line has a question and there are 3 other active threads, at the top of that forum, all with the same or similar subject line. That's just pure laziness.

So those with no tolerance for the person who posts without an exhaustive search just need to spend less time on the boards.

This is not directed to anyone here nor is it necessarily prompted by anything anyone said in a prior post. It's just on the topic and I felt like venting. Sorry to de-rail the otherwise productive thread.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    Shannon,
    That Cake is Way Too Irritating!
    Please Find Something Else.
    Or Slow it Down.
    I didn't choose the cake - it chose me

I tried asking it to slow down but it just b**ch slapped me!
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    So the same question got posted again for the 1001th time, BFD! Answer it with a link to the thread with the answer and move on and politely suggest the keywords they can use to find more information.
    The part you are not taking into account is "board pollution".

A n00b comes on and asks what the "Best BT Headset" is. I do that search you are suggesting and I come up with 183 threads with those exact words in the title. That makes it a PITA for me to find the particular thread I am looking for where I know the specific answer he is looking for is. If 180 n00bs had bothered to do a "Best BT headset" title search, I'd only ahve 3 threads to look in.

But I really don't mind the very new asking....it's the "I am too lazy to search so you do it" ones that I find irritating. I'll give anyone a hand who is willing to put a bit of effort in themsleves.

"Hey honey, you wanna get up from scrubbing the floor to answer the door...Harlan is bringing me over a set of tires and that must be him, stack them in the garage and bring me back a beer when ya done ... I just too comfy in this here lazyboy t move my fat ole arse".
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    The part you are not taking into account is "board pollution".
    Oh I *am*, in fact taking in to account board pollution. That was half my point. It's tedious to do a search sometimes because the search yields to many results because of, wait for it.... board pollution.
    The very people that complain about many of the 'noob' posters are the ones needlessly yammering on threads about off-topic things contributing to the board pollution that makes it difficult to search. At least when a question is asked for the 1000th time it's likely to get an answer, actually adding back to the pool of useful knowledge.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just playing devil's advocate here, I'm not trying to argue. It just twists to see an innocent question answered with a flame by someone who, himself, posts 25 times a day about nothing useful. It makes nice people that I know avoid forums.

I agree with the laziness aspect. As I said, sometimes you see a question asked when the thread directly at the top of the list is clearly addressing that very same topic already.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Oh I *am*, in fact taking in to account board pollution. That was half my point. It's tedious to do a search sometimes because the search yields to many results because of, wait for it.... board pollution.
    Reading this I can't help but think you just earned a cabinet seat . When you get appointed head of FEMA or take Rumsfield's place, I will be able to say "I knew ya when " !
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    ...<snip>...
    Case in point: In this thread(post #12, to be exact), someone claiming to be a newbie(even though he/she has been on the site since 2004) asked a fairly stupid question. And I replied in a fairly sarcastic/cynical manner. Was I wrong?

And in response to the link Scottymomo provided: are we children? Do we need to be especially sensitive of everyone's feelings all the time? Gimme a break...
    Members could have been here a long time but not necessarily venturing to use the Treo past its basic Phone/PDA functions.

With regards to the sensitivity: Not really being children, just being human. (... or politically correct )
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    I didn't choose the cake - it chose me

I tried asking it to slow down but it just b**ch slapped me!
    That's a cake, ... I thought your last avatar was one.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Members could have been here a long time but not necessarily venturing to use the Treo past its basic Phone/PDA functions.

With regards to the sensitivity: Not really being children, just being human. (... or politically correct )
    Bah! I HATE politically correctness. No one refers to me as 'European-American'(that brings me to another point: where the hell is 'Caucasia'? I know where Africa is, I know where Asia is, but I've never seen a 'Caucasia' on a map! Can someone provide me with some assistance? I might like to visit the motherland some day!), do they? No, it's perfectly OK just to call me 'white'(while if I don't refer to other ethnicities as 'African-American' or 'Chinese-American' I'm somehow a racist). What a bunch of crap. I hate this constant walking-on-egg-shells crap. No matter what I do or say, no matter how careful I am, chances are I'm going to offend SOMEBODY. Not too long ago I even offended someone at work because I was listening to MOZART. Mozart, ferchrissakes! I've given up on not trying to offend people. I'm just going to be me and if that offends someone, TOO BAD. Sorry, that was WAY off topic. My bad.

As far as newbies are concerned, I have no problem helping them most of the time. What gets me are the people who ask questions that can be EASILY be answered via Google or Yahoo! or any number of various search engines out there. Why would you make a post asking where to find an AIM client, a ringtone manager, or a link to MMPlayer, and wait for people's responses, when you could Google said terms and come up with your answers in a matter of seconds? It just boggles my mind. Even when I was brand new to this site I new how to use search engines. WTF!?
    That's a cake, ... I thought your last avatar was one.
    You are truly sick and twisted
  13.    #33  
    Just call me Berd.

I think the military has destroyed my sense of...um, sensitivity. These days someone could be bleeding profusely and I'm like "shut the hell up and stop your whining". Good thing I'm out in a month...
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    Are you saying my avatar offends you in some way? Because I'd be more than happy to change it to something equally ridiculous
  16.    #36  
    ...clip...
    it doesn't help when people reply needlessly to threads with one-liner remarks that are off topic, ...clip...

Way to ruin my Thread Guys!
    Just call me Berd.
    The very people that complain about many of the 'noob' posters are the ones needlessly yammering on threads about off-topic things contributing to the board pollution that makes it difficult to search. At least when a question is asked for the 1000th time it's likely to get an answer, actually adding back to the pool of useful knowledge.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just playing devil's advocate here, I'm not trying to argue. It just twists to see an innocent question answered with a flame by someone who, himself, posts 25 times a day about nothing useful. It makes nice people that I know avoid forums.

I agree with the laziness aspect. As I said, sometimes you see a question asked when the thread directly at the top of the list is clearly addressing that very same topic already.
    I so agree...I do understand forum member gripe, but let the newbie know what he can do to prevent these things in a nice manner, and let them get their feet wet. Sometimes people on this forum are just brutal. Its just a forum for the devices we love...I honestly like this forum and like most of the members I have encountered, and there are some smart people here, but some people you have to ask yourself...do you have a life? All in all I do understand the redundant headache that could occur resulting in not searching before you start a new thread, and I also have done it.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Caucasia.. That had me LOL
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  19.    #39  
    So the same question got posted again for the 1001th time, BFD! Answer it with a link to the thread with the answer and move on and politely suggest the keywords they can use to find more information. ...clip... contribute and don't jump on people for asking.
    Okay, I really don't think we are going to change viewpoints and opinions. So Does anyone have a compromise? Someone says: 'just pass over the repeated post' - I say, how does that help? Someone else says: 'provide a link' - I say, I don't have a link, do you have the link to the answer? how are you going to find the link, Search? Why can't I politly point out to the Person that they might find their answer with a search?

Someone Please Help Out Here w/ a good suggestion, So all included benifit.
    And then the Mature thing to do is; Comply.
    Just call me Berd.
    Lets just love one another...do your part and search to the best of your ability and if you do get beamed...take it like a man or woman.
    at&t iPhone3G
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast