1.    #1  
    Is it possible to buy a Pre and use it today? Do you need long-gone authentication servers, etc? Always wanted one, and am working on a new mobile Linux project. I think there’s something to learn from webOS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The short answer is yes. If it's been reset, then you will need to use a tool to bypass activation. Palm back up and App catalog are gone, but manual backups can be done and there are alternative sources of apps.

You are advised to get a device running webOS 2.0 or higher. That's a Pre2, Pre3, Veer or HP TouchPad. Earlier Pre phones can be unofficially upgraded to webOS 2, but are less powerful and reports of how well it works vary. Fixes are usually more available for webOS 2, so earlier devices aren't so useful.

Tip: How to Bypass Activation | pivotCE

Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE

The signature links below should be useful.

As far as a mobile Linux influenced by webOS is concerned, you may find it simpler to join the LuneOS project - based on Open webOS. LuneOS September Stable Release: Decaf | pivotCE
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the response. I’ll look for a Pre 2 or 3. Although it seems like the Veer is the most commonly available modernish phone.

I’m also looking at LuneOS. Just going through my back catalogue to see which phone will work best.

Thanks again.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk