1.    #1  
    Hello,

I want to buy a used Palm pre 2 or HP pre 3, but as information is rare on this devices I have some questions:

What are the pros and cons of the pre 2 and pre 3?

Is there a way to get replacement parts? (I usually buy replacement parts on aliexpress, but no luck there)

I want to use it as a daily driver, is there Whatsapp for it? (It's the only app I really need)

Can I bypass the activation on these devices since the servers are down?

Is there a way to update the software if for example the phone only has Webos 2.0?

Thank you for your answers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Herndl View Post
    Hello,

I want to buy a used Palm pre 2 or HP pre 3, but as information is rare on this devices I have some questions:

I have used Pre, Pre2 and Pre3. I use the Pre2 as my daily phone and find it very reliable and fairly tough. Even with the one that was run over by a moving truck I was able to access it via novacom and get what I needed off of it! The Pre3 has much better camera and a really nice keyboard among other improvements, and if I ever switch off of Sprint I might use it daily, but it does feel less 'tough' to me.

Is there a way to get replacement parts? (I usually buy replacement parts on aliexpress, but no luck there)
    I don't but I think others here know about this....

I want to use it as a daily driver, is there Whatsapp for it? (It's the only app I really need)
    As far as I know it is gone and never coming back - so that may be a deal breaker for you...

Can I bypass the activation on these devices since the servers are down?
    Yes, on the phones it is as simple as keying-in a code to get into Developer Mode: Bypass Activation [webOS 2.x] | webOS Nation NOTE: you only need to do the 1st part of activating Developer Mode - since there are no more Palm Profiles, don't worry about all the other stuff after the 1st paragraph.

Is there a way to update the software if for example the phone only has Webos 2.0?
    Yes, you can Doctor or Meta-Doctor it: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    To get those doctors, just modify your HOST file: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3441919

Mostly, spare parts = spare devices. You can find them on eBay or sometimes on here.
    Hello,

(...)

The Pre 2 & HP Veer in 2014 | pivotCE
    The Pre 3 and HP TouchPad in 2014 | pivotCE
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE

...and see the status report link below.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the advice,

I now own a Pre 2 but I can't get google to sync.

I tried this fix:Google Calendar Sync Behaviors patch

It seems that the oauth authentication worked but the username and password method doesn't. anybody know a fix?
  6.    #6  
    I got google contacts and calender to sync. But I can't find a way to get google mail to work. Even manual IMAP setup doesn't work.
    I got google contacts and calender to sync. But I can't find a way to get google mail to work. Even manual IMAP setup doesn't work.
    You will need to have OpenSSL Updater (Prefered solution) alternatively or Certificate Grabber (alternative, but pretty manual). The OpenSSL Updater is in the Preware Alpha feed, but many users have reported that it works fine for them. I have tested it on Veer, Pre 3, TouchPad WiFi, TouchPad Go and TouchPad 4G successfully.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Check the Service pack link. There are several solutions - you may be missing a patch or two. Or you could try the OSSL update.
  9.    #9  
    I did all the steps to enable alpha mode but upon installing Preware again. Webos-Quickinstall can't find the Preware package. Can someone please send me the ipk.