Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By KngTyrannosaurus
  • 4 Post By dkirker
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys! So I figured that a new update thread is in order for what works and doesn't in WebOS.
    Yea ok, I know its getting on its last legs but there're still a few people who daily these things and might do sometime in the future (I know I switched because I was sick of how intrusive newer smartphones became).
    So lets organize everything we've got, this is the draft post and I'll update it when we get the resources together. It also mightn't be a bad idea to get a public Googledrive or similar going with a backup of all the downloads. You never know

For now, lets get it into three categories: What works, what works with some modification, and what doesn't for now, and potentially ever. Either due to a lack of public API (FB chat) or lack of existence (Palm servers)

What works without modifications
    • 'Phone stuff', so texting, calling etc.
    • Skype, mine has anyway
    • Every non-webconnected, built in application

Fairly short, but its also pretty generalized

But wait! What about the browser?
    Good question, it works but lately a lot of sites on the pre (heh) Pre 3 and tablet devices don't load all that well, on account of formatting issues and being quite slow to load in general. I'm not sure if I put this in stuff that works without modification if I'm honest, disabling javascript and flash really helps things... but it is a workaround. Like I said, first draft. Also I'm trying to write this assuming the person is used to things working fairly flawlessly

What works, with patching and modifying
    • Integrated Email
    • The Preware, appstore

I know there must be stuff I'm missing...

What I'm not sure works and doesn't
    • The YouTube application, I can't log in and I've only gotten it to boot up accidentally (not in my app drawer). So I have no idea
    • 'Other' account integration, Yahoo, GTalk, Exchange, Photobucket, YouTube, LinkedIn and AIM.
    • The full list of 'broken' apps in the Preware store

I haven't tested this stuff, I'll remove it on confirmation or denial of each

What doesn't work
    • Facebook, chat and account (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK)
    • The WebOS Whatsapp, application
    • The native Webos store, actually on that- does Anyone have copies of the old applications they could post on Preware or something similar? I'm sure a few of us would like some of the old stuff that was offered (you can still search on WebOS nation but obviously the downloads don't link anywhere)

Alright yes, its a pretty barebones list but its late and I've got some more research to do- figured I'd crowdsource some of it though Remember, currently just trying to list whats working and whats not, I know about overclocking, getting WebOS doctor etc. baby steps

love xoxoxoxxo
    Auntie Tyranosaurus
    Hi, nice initiative. But do you know this thread: The Zombie & Dead app list
  3.    #3  
    Thanks pohoes that'll really help!
    This is intended to be a 'super guide' of sorts for reference in the future, containing every current patch and fix on webOS in one place. Currently I'm looking at what phone functionality is lost, and what works to better organize the guide.
    The next step would be writing how-to guides for everything and consolidate the downloads in to one .zip file
    If it gets unwieldy then I'll turn it into a PDF

I am aware of a similar guide on pivotCE but that doesn't have everything.

Yes this is ambitious, it'll take some weeks to write but I'm ok with that.
    Mutoidi likes this.
    While I admire your ambition & effort, can I suggest you may be reinventing the wheel a bit here.

In addition to the threads linked in my signature, there's this stuff:
    Your BIG BACK UP / RESTORE thread for 2015

https://pivotce.com/2015/06/24/tip-h...ss-activation/

Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE

DEVELOPERS! Post here if your apps will be available after the HP Catalogue closes

New Apps for webOS / LuneOS

SHA256, Root Certificates, OpenSSL: Future Security

New Apps for webOS / LuneOS

There are many older threads that do things like categorising & listing patches, that have become dated, but can still be useful.

When researching items, I often find multiple threads that are often covering the same ground. It is the nature of a forum that items become less visible as time passes and more current concerns can 'bury' important, but old information. I have no doubt been guilty myself of repeating existing information as in a way, all I'm doing is repackaging and linking to existing sources. Of course, anyone posting queries without first searching the forum for existing answers can spawn yet another thread...

The essential question of what does and doesn't work is at base, simple. It all still works exactly as originally intended - not least because there have been not official updates for some years. The problems of course arise because the system is designed to rely on externalities from the internet, so the browser begins to suffer as standards change and new services are employed as do apps and the system itself when the backup and app catalog services were closed. That's a bit of an obvious & facile answer and clearly the devil is in the details of what exactly has stopped working.

Given that the data you seek has likely been published already somewhere, the main problem (after you and / or your 'crowd' has created an up to date list) is that further 'breakages' and fixes will occur and you'll need to be keeping up with all this and updating (and I am reminded to update the LuneOS version number in the Status Report).

I'd suggest that in the process of making this thread, you will be doing what I often do which is collating and listing information that already exists. You may be better off creating an 'overview' of links or simply contributing to existing threads that you think are best covering particular issues.

Perhaps you'd consider writing for pivotCE which largely publishes news that originates or is noted on this forum and writing summaries of fixes and work arounds for whatever issues arise.
    Do you come late to most parties?

You have five posts here and your post suggests to me you're unfamiliar with the very hard work done by others to document webOS' status over the past year.

How about YOU do the research and get caught up. Maybe then you can create a useful summary thread for US, instead of asking us to make it for you.

And a good start would be to make it for 2016, since this year ends in two weeks.

Sorry, but I'm easily put off by self-designated kings making broad demands...
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    What I think is really in order is that a lot of the information in these threads needs to be moved to a wiki, like webOS-Internals. While the first posts in these threads are up to date, it requires that the original author (or a mod) collect the information and place it there. If that isn't actively being done, some of the information gets lost. There also isn't really a central, living, entry point to this information. The PivotCE folks, however, have been really good at trying to collect groups of topics and encompass them in an article. So that has been nice.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    What I think is really in order is that a lot of the information in these threads needs to be moved to a wiki, like webOS-Internals. While the first posts in these threads are up to date, it requires that the original author (or a mod) collect the information and place it there. If that isn't actively being done, some of the information gets lost. There also isn't really a central, living, entry point to this information. The PivotCE folks, however, have been really good at trying to collect groups of topics and encompass them in an article. So that has been nice.
    This has been discussed, though I'm not sure about a wiki...

As above, webOS Internals has a wiki & I think it's still possible to add to it. However, that site is focused on technicalities of special interest to hackers & developers. I'd therefore suggest that it is a pre-existing and ideal place for that kind of material.

This site is something of a 'catch-all': Nuggets of information get dropped daily, but each one tends to bury the earlier ones. This is the nature of the conversation that continues here. An external tool (e.g. Google site search) is the best way to extract data - assuming you know what you are looking for.

The blog that is pivotCE can summarise, focus & highlight contributions made here, but likewise, when changes occur posts can become dated. They can be updated, but to some extent that can damage the 'historical record' (if that's important). Without really considering it, we tend to update when information gets superceded, but also label the update.

I've long thought that what is really needed is an always up to date user guide: The one link you can post for a newbie to set up the basics on a device a & perhaps learn about the system, then follow links to advanced apps & patches. I guess it would necessarily start with bypassing activation, then the service pack (which is essential fixes only), then maybe a little 'how-to' guide, the status report & then where to find the advanced stuff. I guess I need to have another chat with Pattyland about this to see if it's possible to add a little extra section to pivotCE. Again, this wouldn't be much more than making a decent presentation of existing information.

'Auntie' KngTyrannosaurus is welcome to help if s/he has the enthusiasm & even re-inventing the wheel might make a better wheel.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 12/14/2015 at 08:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    This has been discussed, though I'm not sure about a wiki...

As above, webOS Internals has a wiki & I think it's still possible to add to it. However, that site is focused on technicalities of special interest to hackers & developers. I'd therefore suggest that it is a pre-existing and ideal place for that kind of material.

This site is something of a 'catch-all': Nuggets of information get dropped daily, but each one tends to bury the earlier ones. This is the nature of the conversation that continues here. An external tool (e.g. Google site search) is the best way to extract data - assuming you know what you are looking for.

The blog that is pivotCE can summarise, focus & highlight contributions made here, but likewise, when changes occur posts can become dated. They can be updated, but to some extent that can damage the 'historical record' (if that's important). Without really considering it, we tend to update when information gets superceded, but also label the update.

I've long thought that what is really needed is an always up to date user guide: The one link you can post for a newbie to set up the basics on a device a & perhaps learn about the system, then follow links to advanced apps & patches. I guess it would necessarily start with bypassing activation, then the service pack (which is essential fixes only), then maybe a little 'how-to' guide, the status report & then where to find the advanced stuff. I guess I need to have another chat with Pattyland about this to see if it's possible to add a little extra section to pivotCE. Again, this wouldn't be much more than making a decent presentation of existing information.

'Auntie' KngTyrannosaurus is welcome to help if s/he has the enthusiasm & even re-inventing the wheel might make a better wheel.
    Yup, still editable.

You'd want a landing like this: Portal:Where to Get Started - WebOS Internals (Maybe a bit more cleaner, IMO)
    With links to How-to's and articles like this: WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals
    or MojoDB Partition Resize - WebOS Internals

I've often wanted to see some parts of that wiki re-organized a little.

I am willing to start on something.
    Did you know:

Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I am willing to start on something.
    But you're busy with the QT5 browser..?
    Mutoidi likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    But you're busy with the QT5 browser..?
    Hussler!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Haha Well, it will need a community landing when it is done.

Anyway, I am going to create a wiki section in webOS-Internals. It appears the Google location services might have bit the dust. I've sort of been on a huge information management cleanup in my role at work (SmartThings, for those wondering), and so I suspect that will spill over. :P (Probably for the better, anyway. My apartment could use a similar cleanup. :P )
    Did you know: