Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 3 Post By Manic
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  1.    #1  
    Hi guys

Im happy to say Im the happy owner of a brand new pre 3 to replace my existing pre 3 which has gone through a lot of wear and tear.

I have backed up my ipks, and will go on to backup device/app data.

My goal for the new device is to use it, but also have the current pre3 available in case I ever need it as a second mobile phone (call, sms, etc should all be functioning).

Normally I would backup everything on my curent one, activate the new one (before the 15th) and use my profile. I have also found the procedure/patch from webosnation / webos internals to keep my old device from wiping. Will this procedure keep user data (sms, contacts, photos) on my old device? or will they be lost?

Will the above procedure result in having two pre3 that I can use, one with my profile and one without any profile?

Can you use a device with no profile? are there any limitations?

What happens after the 15th to the two phones if i proceed like this?

Also, and most important from all of the above: Can you activate a new device after the 15th and still have phone functionality? (call, sms etc).

Sorry for the many questions & many thanks!!
    I'm extremely sleepy, so forgive me if I've overlooked something, but I believe the answer is yes to all of your questions. There have been cases where a device was wiped somehow after the stop device wipe procedure, but it has never happened to me. Leaving the old phone totally disconnected from all networks until after the shutdown would be a good precaution for the paranoid. I have found NO limitations to using a Pre3 with no profile after bypassing activation, which will be standard procedure after the profiles are shut down. Everything works except accessing the app catalog and profile backups.

Have you already backed up all of your application IPKs using one of the outlined procedures, so you can reinstall them in the future if necessary? Oh wait, I see now you have done this. I told you I was tired.
    Since they're shutting down services just turn your old pre3 off. Activate your new pre3 and restore your backup QUICKLY TIME IS RUNNING OUT. And don't turn your old pre3 on until after the shutdown. There shouldn't be a way for your old pre3 to communicate to the servers since they'll be off. No wipe transmission...

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the quick reply guys!

So essentially I have two options:

1 shut the current phone down until after the 15th, in the meanwhile activate and use the new phone with my profile. After the 15th power on the old phone, and ill have both the old phone and new phone with the same profile.

2. Same as above but also do the impostah method so it never sends the wipe signal. Can you please confirm that it works without deleting personal info on my old phone?

Im curious: how will we actually activate new devices from now on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Manic View Post
    Well, I doctored my Pre 3 about two months ago and did the bypass activation method. I did not bother creating a Palm Profile or anything (too much steps since I do not have a data plan, just wifi) and everything is working wonderfully. I just lost SMS conversations, most of the other stuff was backed up with save/restore and copying directly from the USB partition.
    Dell Axim X5 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Treo Pro + MicroSD 4GB -> Palm Pre 2 (Lost it) -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Manic View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply guys!

So essentially I have two options:

1 shut the current phone down until after the 15th, in the meanwhile activate and use the new phone with my profile. After the 15th power on the old phone, and ill have both the old phone and new phone with the same profile.

2. Same as above but also do the impostah method so it never sends the wipe signal. Can you please confirm that it works without deleting personal info on my old phone?

1) add to that, put phone in airplane mode. If you do that, you don't really even need to shut it down, just *don't* turn on WiFi for *any* reason until proceeding with step 2 or after confirmation the profile servers are offline, or your device *will* be wiped.

2) as long as you follow the instructions to the letter, signing out will not wipe anything from your device -- it will only disconnect that device from your profile on the HP servers.

To be honest, not even signing in to the profile makes the most sense, as you are then not connected to the profile servers at all, so no danger of getting any device wipe signals.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  7.    #7  
    God I love these forums

Ill probably do 2 as I want the SMS conversations and other things that are hard to restore.

Thanks guys!

Will probably post some comparison pics of wear and tear on a nearly three year old pre vs a brand new one for archives sake, after I setup the new one though

Everybody is asking me why I didnt go for Android, iOS or anything else.. well

No descent hardware keyboard devices
    Was thinking of Blackberry but their contact sync with Exchange is rubbish and buggy
    Ive got 5 touchstones, hackable devices to work with them are aged as well
    NOTHING compares to WebOS multitasking, UI
    Getting a Nexus 4 and putting LuneOS is something I want to do, but not as my daily runner
    Ive got most of the apps I need, I play games on PC, Android Tablet not my bloody phone
    Love the form factor; most of todays phones need thumb extenders to use one-handed!

Best of all got the Pre3, another touchstone, hands free, travel charger, car charger for 120EUR.. NEW IN BOX

Way I see it, if I get this baby running for another 3 years Ive well gotten my money back
    Last edited by Manic; 03/14/2015 at 08:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I have found NO limitations to using a Pre3 with no profile after bypassing activation .... Everything works except accessing the app catalog and profile backups.
    Quote Originally Posted by guilledil View Post
    I doctored my Pre 3 about two months ago and did the bypass activation method. I did not bother creating a Palm Profile or anything (too much steps since I do not have a data plan, just wifi) and everything is working wonderfully.
    This is good news, but I always thought bypassing activation would mean no phone or SMS based on these two articles:

Bypass Activation [webOS 1.x] | webOS Nation
    Bypass Activation [webOS 2.x] | webOS Nation

Is there something special about the Pre 3 regarding activation bypass, or will other models be fine? Pardon if I'm not up to speed on all these issues. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    GSM EU Pre2, 2.2.4 -- all is fine, activation bypassed with #*DEVMODE#
    T5, Clié NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Nexus7@LuneOS
    Profile activation is independent of carrier activation. There may be exceptions, but my experience has been without issues with any core phone services. I have done this on a Pre3, Pre2, Veer, and a Sprint Pre running 2.x (and prob 1.4.5 too), a Pre+ on 2.1, and on a Pixi+ running 1.4.5. I didn't realize I had done it on so many devices and both major OS revisions until I started listing them out.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Thanks, but I'm still unclear:

Does a brand-new phone need to contact HP servers to carrier-activate to be able to use cellular?
    (I don't have one handy to find out.)

Does doctoring reset it back to carrier-activation stage, or profile-setup stage?
    (Would rather not use my working phone as a guinea pig. )
    No, it does not, unless there are exceptions I don't know about. Doctoring does not affect carrier activation in any way (good news if you use a FrankenPre2 on Sprint). Bypass HP Profile activation and you're good to go.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    1. No. Carrier activation is between your phone (or SIM card) and your carrier only, HP is not and was not involved. In fact, it's the other way round: phone/SIM has to be carrier-activated before it can contact HP: remember, that Wifi profile activation is a hack, the official profile-activation way is via cell network, so it has to be working before.

2. Profile-setup stage

Disclaimer: living in GSM land, I have never considered some ideas of US carriers (such as switching networks with soldering iron ) possible at all, so I may be wrong somewhere.
    T5, Clié NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Nexus7@LuneOS
    Thanks for the clear definite answers!
  15.    #15  
    Still it sucks that the preffered way is via mobile data.

I did the first activation via the preffered way: removed my webos profile from my old Pre3 with the impostah method (have all my data, sms etc intact, thanks webos internals!), and then activated via data.

Had to first wait it to time out, see the prompt to change the APN settings, change, reboot and then the process continued. It did eat up more than 200MB of my data package however.

The weird thing is this though: After i activated and logged onto the mobile, the app catalogue started downloading all my apps, including apps I had on my touchpad! I did not notice at the time however, and after a while I got the "application database almost full error" and was prompted for a reboot to "solve" the problem, which I did. Needless to say, after a bit of time "rebooting", the phone greeted me with a new activation screen as if I just turned it on!

At this point, I had no more data left on my package. It was late, and the 15th was coming nigh, so I proceeded with bypassing the activation via #*DEVMODE# and then loading impostah and my profile through it.
    Now here it is where it gets weird: When I went to accounts, I had both Dr. Skipped First Use, but I also had my profile as well; More than that, my apps, preferences sms etc from my profile started to re-download!

This is weird as one of the limitations of bypassing is that no apps are restored; Sure enough, after a bit I got the database error again. Checked the partitions and indeed. the store-media was nearly full. I tried the procedure here Workaround for Application Database is Full error | webOS Nation but it wouldnt complete (error 5 anyone?).
    Note that the phone as such was fine; I could do a normal reboot and everything was there and running normally. However I couldnt update to 2.24 from 2.20 as I was getting a low on resource error.
    As I wanted the phone up to the latest version before all was lost on the HP side of things, I rebooted via the prompt , did the impostah way again but this time when I logged in via impostah only the Dr. Skipped First use greeted me :/

Just thought Id share this last piece of Webos activation with you guys
    I posted this in another thread, then discovered this one!

I trust this is the correct thread?

I have a dodgy Pre3 that won't send emails and the calendar app doesn't work either. Yes, I know about the Google issue and the CalDav fix. These didn't work either.

I'd like to doctor the Pre3 but am concerned now the HP servers have shut down. Will I be able to register an account once it's doctored?

Thanks
    As has been said before, the profile is dead. It won't affect operation of the phone, but it does mean you have to bypass the profile sign in screen. If you haven't backed up your catalog apps, you'll lose them. Preware is now the only simple source of installing apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    As has been said before, the profile is dead. It won't affect operation of the phone, but it does mean you have to bypass the profile sign in screen. If you haven't backed up your catalog apps, you'll lose them. Preware is now the only simple source of installing apps.
    Thank you Grabber.
    I did a search but no thread titled Doctor since HP shutdown could be found.
    I may not need to Doctor the device. Have managed to get CalDav installed and, I think, Google sync fix. Trouble is there are no buttons for replying or sending emails on an email form!

Must be a small glitch. Any Techies fancy working this out?