1.    #1  
    This thread is for general discussion of issues that arose from this thread:
    Problems with Yahoo Mail Here is the pivotCE article: Fixing Yahoo mail | pivotCE
    You can see there is a method to obtain, install and trust certificates for this problem, but it doesn't seem to work for 1.x users.

Other relevant threads are:
    How to manually retrieve SSL certificates for import and usage in Email setup
    "Requested encryption not supported by server"
    SHA1-deprecation: What you need to know.
    google error: requested encryption not supported by server

The idea is that the community may need to replace the root certificates - especially as SHA256 is brought in as the preferred encyption standard.

Here is a handy list from 2015 of email provider settings which could be useful for getting certificates with the OpenSSL method
    Geek Squad's email server settings guide

If we can identify a standard package and expiry dates of existing certificates, we can at minimum direct users to updates and explain the install process. Note that Grabber5.0 has already made a package of Globalsign certificates available. Some other suppliers are Digicert, Verisign & Symantec.
    UPDATE: Now supplied by frantid: root cert updater app

It is not clear if the legacy version of OpenSSL (0.9.8j / k) will automatically process SHA256. It is apparently capable, but needs to be activated. It's not clear if webOS does this.

Update (14th August 2015): NIN_ru has done some research that indicates there was a bug in OSSL. It was patched in a later, incompatible version. The conclusion seems to be that webOS is capable of matching SHA256 certificates, but not installing them automatically.

https://marc.info/?l=openssl-users&m=135355590501495

If possible, it may be worth updating this component. There is a version in Preware, but it's not clear to me if this is an upgrade or modification. Without this function, users may soon have to frequently use the work around above. UPDATE: Apparently, this SSL version is a separate install for use by webOS Internals' Optware packages.

UPDATE: OpenSSL-Updater - Fixing Certificate Issues
    This is currently in Alpha status & must be installed carefully, but reports indicate that it works and will also work for 1.4.5 devices!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 03/25/2016 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Added list of settings
  2.    #2  
    I'll just put these in the thread. Make notes in your calendar and when Yahoo breaks again, we'll remember what to do.
    IMAP *.imap.mail.yahoo.com Valid from 24/Feb/2015 to 24/Feb/2016 Issuer: Symantec Class 3 Secure Server CA – G4
    SMTP *.smtp.mail.yahoo.com Valid from 26/Jan/2015 to 26/Jan/2016 Issuer: VeriSign Class 3 Secure Server CA – G3
    POP legacy.pop.mail.yahoo.com Valid from 04/Nov/2014 to 04/Nov/2015 Issuer: VeriSign Class 3 Secure Server CA – G3

GMX:
    IMAP imap.gmx.com Valid to 3/Oct/2017 Issuer: thawte SSL CA – G2
    SMTP mail.gmx.com Valid to 3/Oct/2017 Issuer: thawte SSL CA – G2
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/24/2015 at 08:58 PM.
  3.    #3  
    So the same fix appears to be working for Gmail, though some seem to find each fix temporary and have installed up to 5 gmail certificates now.
    google error: requested encryption not supported by server

It seems a shame that we are stuck fixing symptoms instead of finding a cure, so I'll just 'go up the chain' a bit and make some suggestions. Possible reasons for these problems:
    • Functionality for processing SHA256 certificates is not switched on in the Certificate manager/OpenSSL. If it IS switched on, then...
    • Root certificates have expired and installing new ones would allow other certificates to be automatically validated.
    • UPDATE: In this post, Grabber5.0 suggests the problem may actually lie with the connection made by the email app.

Logic would suggest that solutions are:
    • Update the root certificates
    • Update the certificate manager to activate SHA256 capability in OpenSSL (assuming this is actually 'broken')
    • Update OpenSSL to a version where SHA256 processing is enabled by default. (newer should be better anyway)
    • Update the email app. (unfortunately this appears to be a binary - not easily patched)

I guess the Root certificates would be the easiest thing to do, Someone with the right skills could perhaps get a newer version of OSSL onto webOS without too much difficulty and perhaps fixing the certificate manager would be hardest, but perhaps necessary if OSSL has to be instructed as to the type of processing rather than automatically detecting it. (I have no idea). Of course, replacing everything is the ideal, 'belt & braces' approach. The best place to find this stuff would be in a similar project. Assuming this functionality has been implemented, then I wonder how difficult it would be to transfer the certification system from LuneOS to webOS. Update: Maybe it's actually the email app we need?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/10/2015 at 01:41 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Here are some work arounds (mainly for Gmail, but could be applied to other services):
    The guide for Yahoo
    Horzel shows how do do it with WOSQI
    Grabber has produced a script
    gizmo21 adds timestamps
    The script is now incorporated into an app. For Gmail only, this is now the easiest method.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/23/2015 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Added the Script Grabber App
    It seems a shame that we are stuck fixing symtoms instead of finding a cure, so I'll just 'go up the chain' a bit and make some suggestions.
    Agree, but at least we still have a working imap gmail client in our hands. When Grabber gets his final version of his cert upgrader finished, we should have a workable solution to the frequent Google cert updating. And I believe that Google will continue with the frequent cert updating...not sure why...possibly they are doing trial and error tests.
    Also, if I may add that Internet security is a very real and significant concern not just for Google, but for all the big players, including Microsoft. On my laptop computers, I get MS security updates automatically at least twice a week. Almost all of the updates deal with security fixes for the OS and also the Internet Explorer browser. And I suspect that this will continue on indefinitely.
    As of today's date (9/12/2015) my Touchpad's certificate manger reports the following;

GeoTrust Global CA Root Certificate
    issued by: Equifax
    expire date: Aug. 21, 2018
    signature algorythm: sha1WithRSAEncryption

Google Internet Authority G2 Intermediate Certificate
    issued by: GeoTrust Global CA
    expire date: Dec. 31, 2016
    signature algorythm: sha1WithRSAEncryption

imap.gmail.com Google Server Certificate
    issued by: Google Internet Authority G2
    expire date: Nov. 23, 2015
    signature algorythm: sha256WithRSAEncryption

This is the latest information that I have regarding the Google certificate chain.
  8.    #8  
    It seems the cert problem has now happened with GMX.com email services.

The Yahoo fix seems to work. The inputs for gmx are:
    s_client -showcerts -connect imap.gmx.com:993 (inbox, IMAP protocol)
    &
    s_client -showcerts -connect mail.gmx.com:465 (that's the outgoing, SMTP protocol)

I have attached a file with my IMAP output. It should be Linux formatted text. Just split it into the three certs (I don't know if they're all required, but I trusted all three). My triangle is gone, but I'll test send and receive and post the SMTP if needed.

Note: This certificate expires on the 3rd of October 2017.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/23/2015 at 10:36 AM.
  9.    #9  
    It seems the smtp certs are also required so you can again retrieve them with the Yahoo method and the input noted above, I have again attached my output. Splitting this file into three and saving each with the .pem suffix (then trusting, etc.) has restored my sending ability also.

Let's hope this is an infrequent fix like Yahoo, but if not, it should be easy to customise Grabber5.0's script & maybe the app for Google will get an extra function

Note: This certificate expires on the 3rd of October 2017.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/23/2015 at 10:37 AM.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Having just returned to webOS with a Pre 3 (as mentioned in my post about stock music & video apps), I am really enjoying using it again in tandem with my iphone 5S.
    Its now time to get shot of the iphone and make the Pre 3 my daily/main phone.
    Unfortunately, trying to set up my email has me stumped.
    Having used one before, the email set-up is simple, BUT!, I have tried auto set-up and manual set-up using both POP and IMAP, but I just get the same message- "Your username (or email address) and password are incorrect".
    Now I know for certain that those are correct, but nothing doing.

I am in the UK and use a major telecom provider for my broadband and email (Talktalk) and searching the internet it appears that they still use SHA-1 and so I am perplexed as to whats wrong.

I have global root sign, certificate grabber and Root Certs Update added but to no effect. I have done a full erase and started from scratch adding each of the above one at a time and then trying again.

I have even copied all of the email settings that are on my iphone (with working mail) to the Pre but still it gives the same message. So this points to something missing on the Pre internals???

With your help I have my music and video working as well as Accuweather. It seems such a shame that the email is now an issue and this could well be the last straw.

I want this to work and write in the hope that someone has an idea. I have read the OpenSSL thread and would adding that help things? However I have no experience of Alpha feeds and wouldn't know where to begin, even after reading and re-reading the instructions! So at present, not really a starter.

Any help really appreciated. I want to use my Pre 3.

Thank you.
  11.    #12  
    Just got this through on the laptop:
    This package includes PEM files of CA certificates to allow SSL-based applications to check for the authenticity of SSL connections.
    It includes, among others, certificate authorities used by the debian infrastructure and those shipped with Mozilla's browsers.
    Please note that debian can neither confirm nor deny whether the certificate authorities whose certificates are included in this package have in any way been audited for trustworthiness or RFC 3647 compliance. Full responsibility to assess them belongs to the local system administrator.
    Perhaps this means there are new updates out there that could be added to webOS?