Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    As stated above, you (apparently) can do exactly that - reading data from the device and creating a webOS doctor for a customised restore. The drawback is that you need to have various Linux tools and systems running and be at least familiar enough with the command line to understand and follow the instructions. General instructions are on the webOS-internals.org site, but they are about customising doctor files rather than specifically copying an existing installation. This stuff is for relative experts, not the general user. I'd also bet that no one does this as a regular back up routine - it's for swapping devices.
    So are you saying that you couldn't just pull a folder from the .jar, then cut and paste your backup data, then put it back? That's more along the lines of what I was thinking. If you knew what was where, it seems you could do it for any data.

Another thought was pulling databases from impostah, and saving them to be imported later on, if you need a restore. Again, you'd have to know where to get what you want, but it might be simple to do. Maybe someone who knows can post a list of locations for various data.

(I appreciate your response, and apologize if what I'm saying is crazy. I don't really know much, but I have had some success messing around)

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    some extra applications , if I remember right, are inside an archive included in the doctor... so adding more to it and replacing is technically along the lines of what you wrote.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1whocs View Post
    So are you saying that you couldn't just pull a folder from the .jar, then cut and paste your backup data, then put it back? That's more along the lines of what I was thinking. If you knew what was where, it seems you could do it for any data.
    (my emphasis)

It seems to me that the data is stored in one or more db8 database(s). I do not know where they are in the file system and it would be great if someone could post that information. Possibly WOSQI could be used to fetch and return a list of files.

Another thought was pulling databases from impostah, and saving them to be imported later on, if you need a restore. Again, you'd have to know where to get what you want, but it might be simple to do. Maybe someone who knows can post a list of locations for various data.
    When it comes to Impostah, I have already looked at some databases and individual entries. I can email individual entries to myself, but for any serious phone user, there will be a LOT of entries, so it's very impractical. If there were some app or function to send all entries in one file, that would be great, but I don't know what mechanism would restore them.

(I appreciate your response, and apologize if what I'm saying is crazy. I don't really know much, but I have had some success messing around)
    Yes, I don't know much - which is why I posted the thread. To quote myself:
    My assumption is that all those running Linux desktop systems and webOS SDKs can probably take care of themselves. I intend to write a guide for those like myself: J. Random User, sitting behind a computer with a mainstream OS, able and willing to use WOSQI, Preware, patches and follow clear instruction, but not well versed in Linux system administration.
    In as user friendly a way as possible, my priorities are:
    1. At a minimum, extract personal data in human readable form for archive.
    2. Ideally extract in a form that can be returned to the device (or at least imported)

I have been doing this simple process (and a couple of other things): The Definitive Guide to Backing up and Restoring your webOS Device | webOS Nation (but one of the instructions is to back up to HP's servers!) If we can add a few more instructions, that should be fine.

Backups are of course only really needed when there is a problem, so if a restore process is a little more complex, the user is likely to be motivated to work through it.

But anyway, there are now 2 more months to iron this out.

The Gurus can use metadoctor to read off an image, techy types with the right gear can back up to their own servers. If the community profile service works, then that's easy! I'm just looking for a fairly simple local back up option. Thanks for your interest and any information you can add.

Oh, hey! Please congratulate me on my 2000th post! I really should get out more...
    Last edited by Preemptive; 01/13/2015 at 02:54 AM.
    Mutoidi, poehoes and Ranoulph like this.
    If there is a developer out there to write an app that can do a complete system backup/restore locally, (to a connected PC or ?), I would be in to donate $ to do this. Being a casual user, apps make it easy for us command line challenged users. I'm sure others would donate too.

Kurt.
    Alibamboo likes this.
  5.    #25  
    In part, I'm thinking that if we can discover what things to copy manually, it should be quite easy for someone to write a script to automate the process. Then perhaps an app or patch to run the script with a button press...

Might be easy for someone with the skills, if we can first find where the data is...
    shouldn't we be able to find a lot of stuff palm backs up atm within com.palm.app.backup . Shouldn't there also be the methods to extract e.g. PalmProfile contacts/calendar out of the db and into a transferable file and the recovery methods to reinject into db at restore?
    There was also an java desktop application to downlaod own palm profile backup from the HP servers somewhere, could also be helpful.
    Just a thought for the start.
  7.    #27  
    Apparently the db8 (or at least the calendar part) is in var/palm

I'll look into it later...
  8.    #28  
    Bump (partly for me). I should probably get this done & published by the end of the week or at least before March.

There's still time to add your tips!
  9.    #29  
    Looks like there's a solution from Garfonso for the calendar backup!

[App] ExportCalendar
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Still missing:

Solution to restore wifi profiles, as the save&restore script to do this does not seem to restore on my new device even when directly restarting after restore and having wifi off at restore.

Solution to restore "Text Assist" data. Save&Restore script only supports backup.
    text assist
    Export Text Assist learned words and shortcuts [webOS 2.x] (homebrew) | webOS Nation
  11.    #31  
    Does anyone have any idea how to back up call history? In the phone app's history tab, the app menu has an entry to clear it - does anyone know if the code references a file that can be located and copied?
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Does anyone have any idea how to back up call history? In the phone app's history tab, the app menu has an entry to clear it - does anyone know if the code references a file that can be located and copied?
    There is a patch Export Call History
    It adds a new entry in the menu of the phone app and it exports a .csv file with the call log. Only I knew how to re-import it...
    Preemptive likes this.
  13.    #33  
    Nice! I'd not spotted that.

Anyone got anything for web bookmarks?

I think the rest is pretty minor, so that might be enough techniques to make a fairly complete back up.
    The browser is listed under Web in save/restore.. Does that not cover the bookmarks? (I've not really tested it - I think they are part of the profile backup, so up until now it hasn't really been needed)
    Preemptive likes this.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    The browser is listed under Web in save/restore.. Does that not cover the bookmarks? (I've not really tested it - I think they are part of the profile backup, so up until now it hasn't really been needed)
    Could be! I can't imagine much else to save. History? Settings are basic, cache is pointless. Cookies maybe, but even that isn't particularly vital. I'd say bookmarks were the most obvious thing to backup. I didn't realise Save/restore did core apps. I'll have a look through to see what else is covered. Thanks!

Use Save/Restore to backup additional system files and images (homebrew)
    ZIP your Save/Restore backup (homebrew)
    Enable auto-run for Save/Restore ZIP file creation
    Last edited by Preemptive; 03/13/2015 at 12:54 AM.
    I tested it this evening on Laingman's phone that I'm working on, and I don't know what it restored, but it didn't include history or bookmarks. Perhaps it was just cookies (I did see that in the notes during save). Bookmarks and history are fairly simple collections in the database, so it should not be that difficult to perform a backup and restore, outside of the permission issue. I know Impostah has the power to export lists of things, but I don't know that it has an import capability (it may well, but I have not explored the possibility).
    Preemptive likes this.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Good grief, the WebOS backup/restore situation is a mess! I guess that's one reason to abandon it and not look back. But I'd still like to make a complete restoreable backup of WebOS on my TP before I delete it to go all Android.

These convoluted solutions that involve 10 different procedures to back up 95% of WebOS, and probably a similarly-difficult restore procedure don't seem practical if all I want is a safeguard backup in case I ever want to restore the WebOS partition in future for some unknown reason.

What I'd like is a simple snapshot backup/restore-the-whole-partition method, and I don't really understand why such a thing doesn't exist.

Have I missed something, or is it really so difficult?
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    Good grief, the WebOS backup/restore situation is a mess! I guess that's one reason to abandon it and not look back.
    What I'd like is a simple snapshot backup/restore-the-whole-partition method, and I don't really understand why such a thing doesn't exist.
    How is taking a 100%-snapshot (a restorable ghost) handled on other operating systems (specifically mobile OSes)? - I have no experience with this, so I'm interested how streamlined it is (as opposed to the mess of webOS).
  19.    #39  
    As discussed earlier in the thread, it's perfectly possible to make an image or custom doctor of your phone.

That's not the point here. The point is to back up data in a form that can be restored to either the orginal webOS device, a new one or other systems and devices in a way that can be performed by the average user. In reality, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to extract the data and move it off the phone. There are likely ways to at least semi-automate the process.

It's only a mess in the sense that the automated system will stop working when the servers are closed. In theory the back up and other profile services could be reverse engineered, replicated or replaced. Until someone builds a solution like that, this is all there is.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    How is taking a 100%-snapshot (a restorable ghost) handled on other operating systems (specifically mobile OSes)? - I have no experience with this, so I'm interested how streamlined it is (as opposed to the mess of webOS).
    Well, for example I can back up the protected Android partition of my TP to a folder by selecting Backup in Clockworkmod from the multi-boot menu. I store the backup on my PC drive.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast