Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1.    #1  
    by Brent Hunter.

Though the HP App Catalog may be closing, there are still many creative members of the community working on ways to help you back up your apps before they’re gone for good. Today, we’ll continue on with our series of how to back up your apps. This guide will walk you through the process of using pivotCE’s solution, developed by our very own Pattyland: HP Takeout.

Read on...
  2.    #2  
    So that's one project for the weekend...

UPDATE:
    This seems to work for most people, but here are some tips:
    1. You're accessing the form and downloading on your computer, not your webOS device.
    2. Copy only the data from the opening curly bracket { to the closing one - no email headers or HTML code.
    3. If the problem is with a 4G TouchPad, try entering the IMEI number as as ID, as if it were a phone.
    4. It seems there might be a problem with Assasin's Creed & a few other apps that use unusal characters in the name.

Other methods:
    http://pivotce.com/2014/12/02/guide-...leteipk-patch/
    (requires deletion and re-downloading of apps - some risk, but good for backing up new downloads 'on the fly')
    Script to save all your app IPKs in one step
    (method to recreate the installer file from that actual installation on device - might be a risk if the files have changed, but is quick if you are a bit techy)
    Last edited by Preemptive; 01/04/2015 at 08:19 AM.
    Very good write-up. Not as fast as the script, but much easier for non-tech types.
    Preemptive and monday206am like this.
    just what I need this in this tutorial. Thanks pivotce

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Very good write-up. Not as fast as the script, but much easier for non-tech types.
    That's the test: If I can understand it, we're good to go! ;-)
    couldn't have been easier. Took me 5 minutes, tops. Thanks a lot for this info and app.
    pattyland likes this.
    I just did this. While it is good that I can have a back up, some programs were missed: Advance Browser, TouchVol and SongID. How do I back up these programs?

Which versions are backed up? What is on my TouchPad or something newer if available?
    Entered my data and so far no response back just black screen. Did I not do something correctly. Pre3 with many apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by docsdad View Post
    Entered my data and so far no response back just black screen. Did I not do something correctly. Pre3 with many apps.
    Just did the same with my TP.
    I've got 175+ apps on it, and all Takeout is showing after 10 minutes is stille a blank screen?
    I'm pretty sure, I copied the right things into Takeout...

EDIT: On the Takeout page it looks like there are no spaces in the apps.json (except in the app name).
    Mine looks like this:

<pre>{ "Classic Pong Free": { "appId": 10246, "publicApplicationId": "com.smashedfly.classicpongfree", "title": "Classic Pong Free", "creator": "Smashed Fly", "version": "1.0.2", "vendorURL": "http://www.smashedfly.com", "appIcon": "http://cdn.downloads.hpsvcs.com/public/10246/icon/S/icon_1_0_2.png", "appIconBig": "http://cdn.downloads.hpsvcs.com/public/10246/icon/icon_1_0_2.png", "appLocation": "https.....

Could the spaces be the problem???

And should the <pre> in the beginning and end still be there?
    Last edited by martinjochimsen; 12/21/2014 at 07:25 PM.
  10.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by martinjochimsen View Post
    Just did the same with my TP.
    I've got 175+ apps on it, and all Takeout is showing after 10 minutes is stille a blank screen?
    I'm pretty sure, I copied the right things into Takeout...

EDIT: On the Takeout page it looks like there are no spaces in the apps.json (except in the app name).
    Mine looks like this:

<pre>{ "Classic Pong Free": { "appId": 10246, "publicApplicationId": "com.smashedfly.classicpongfree", "title": "Classic Pong Free", "creator": "Smashed Fly", "version": "1.0.2", "vendorURL": "http://www.smashedfly.com", "appIcon": "http://cdn.downloads.hpsvcs.com/public/10246/icon/S/icon_1_0_2.png", "appIconBig": "http://cdn.downloads.hpsvcs.com/public/10246/icon/icon_1_0_2.png", "appLocation": "https.....

Could the spaces be the problem???

And should the <pre> in the beginning and end still be there?
    I got a page of links from my Pre2 data.

I think your email program may be showing HTML formatting tags. The <pre> tag defines preformatted text. (I think the name of the phone is a coincidence)

I copied everything from the opening "{" to the closing "}" . I see no <pre> at the start. My data appears indented and includes spaces.
    Hi everyone, I've just bought a 16gb Touchpad without checking avaibility of the apps from HP Store first, now I'm s---w sinr only thing I have access if preware ( who is excellent) and only a few apps that I did find on the web to download.

I need help to find apps, I did a lot of search but since the touchpas was not very popular it's hard to find anything. Please if you can provide me few sites for TP apps it would be very appreciated.

Thank you

Daniel
  12.    #13  
    The ability to buy apps ended in November, but the catalogue is still available to download free apps and previously purchased apps. However, it will close completely on the 15th of January, so act quickly. Some apps have already moved to the gallery here (and via the feed to Preware), some never will.

Start here to update the certificate for your TouchPad (and the other stuff):
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE

There's a link to part two at the bottom.

If you have time, I'd suggest downloading everything using the NoDeleteIPK patch (Guide: Saving Apps From The App Catalog Part 1: nodeleteipk patch | pivotCE) and moving it off the TP via USB to maintain space. Though if you're technicaly minded, there are ways to bulk download with a PC. I know some members have done that, but the legality of redistributing or hosting without the author's permission may be a bit of a gray area even for free apps, so doing it yourself avoids any problems. It's unlikely many will have the time to download even the relatively small webOS catalogue one app at a time so you might want to stick with the best reviewed ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I got a page of links from my Pre2 data.

I think your email program may be showing HTML formatting tags. The <pre> tag defines preformatted text. (I think the name of the phone is a coincidence)

I copied everything from the opening "{" to the closing "}" . I see no <pre> at the start. My data appears indented and includes spaces.
    I got it to work now!
    I saved the info from Palm Profile, Device Profile and installed apps as files, mailed them to my self (the desktop) and then copied/pasted from the documents to the Takeout homepage.
    Pretty simple....when done right!!! :-D
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    That good work.
    I downloaded the ipk missing me.
    Very good idea!
    Thanks for the time.
    pattyland likes this.
    Thanks very much for this. I've just done this for all my installed apps (just 26, it took about 10 mins). I never could get the php script to run correctly. It ran without reporting an error but the archive it created was empty.

This web-based tool is awesome!
    pattyland likes this.
    Wondering if there is any way to get the required info (e.g. token, app list) if I no longer have the device? My TP died a horrible death but I still have my Veer. TP is still registered on my Palm Profile so I can get ID but that's it. I plan to replace the TP soon but not soon enough I'm afraid. Any thoughts before the 15th of January will be appreciated.
  17.    #18  
    Is the Veer on the same profile? Possibly you could could recover the apps (maybe just available phone versions), but I don't know if there is anyway to recover the device id.

I'd say the simplest answer is to get a TP quick or find a friend (possibly on this forum) with a spare TP who would be prepared to register it to your account and do the downloading. Bear in mind that this person could access ALL data in that profile. Perhaps if there is a TP local to you, you could hire it, do the downloading, then erase and return the device...

Is the old TP actually dead & gone with no prospect of revival?
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Is the Veer on the same profile? Possibly you could could recover the apps (maybe just available phone versions), but I don't know if there is anyway to recover the device id.

I'd say the simplest answer is to get a TP quick or find a friend (possibly on this forum) with a spare TP who would be prepared to register it to your account and do the downloading. Bear in mind that this person could access ALL data in that profile. Perhaps if there is a TP local to you, you could hire it, do the downloading, then erase and return the device...

Is the old TP actually dead & gone with no prospect of revival?
    Thanks, appreciate the suggestions. Veer is on the same profile so I can see everything except the TP token when I sign in on a PC. I keep feeling like there is something Impostah could do and I simply don't have the knowledge or experience. And yes the TP is very dead. Spouse borrowed and left on top of the car. She watched it fly off into some very dense underbrush while traveling at 65mph on an expressway. It was a very quiet week after I was told that story.
  19.    #20  
    So there is no prospect of recovering the ID from the device, but you do have another device on the same profile. The apps are associated with the profile rather than a specific device. I suspect if you had the TP, but had lost the Veer, it would be simple to get all the apps as 'phone only' apps will run in a smaller box on the TP screen. No doubt you can't access apps that need a bigger screen than the Veer (or are webOS 3.+ versions).

There may be a way to view your apps (and get the free ones) & possibly even a way to mimic a TP to the server to log in a 'new' device to the profile:
    Would you pay $5-10 /year for a drop-in replacement to Palm Profile / Cloud Services?

But I'd say it remains the easiest method to have a borrowed TP logged into your profile or get your replacement ASAP. This seems a good deal:
    Assortment of webOS, Android, PalmOS devices and accessories
    Last edited by Preemptive; 12/27/2014 at 09:41 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast