Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Remy X
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 3 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By elgrillo75
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  1.    #1  
    Hello everyone!

I was is happy and surprised to find such a great resource for Palm!

I've been a diehard Palm Centro user for many, many years...to the harsh judgement of course from some friends. I've proudly earned the nick name "Stylus" by those same friends.

Regardless, the phone always worked and was simple.

After Sprint ended the "picture mail" service I was SOL on the centro.
    Just a few days ago I found a new Pixi for sale and went for it.

Although I had no idea of the pending webos shut down. Geez.

So, wondering if I can still use the pixi. I honestly just use my phone for calls, texting and surfing the web.
    Thanks in advance for any help and thanks again for such a great resource!
    Yes! You can definitely use the Pixi, regardless of what's happening at HP right now, and we will be there for you every step of the way.

However, i find the Sprint Pixi to be a scrawny piece of equipment.. dangerously low on RAM, has a CPU that's a generation behind the one in the Pre and as such, unable to run some of the compiled apps, and does not even have a WiFi module.

You can have much much better if you buy yourself a Sprint Pre and a Pre 2 (AT&T or Verizon, any flavor) and swap the Sprint radio into the Pre2. When you reflash it with a special combined ROM, you will have a "FrankenPre", a fast, modern phone with a larger, glass screen, WiFi, double the amount of RAM and a newer version of Palm's webOS, while still running on Sprint. If you look at the specs, you literally get twice the phone if you do that. If you have any questions, please ask. There are many of us here with the FrankenPre as a daily driver, and for most, it's quite reliable once you get through the initial setup hurdles

But welcome anyway, hope to see you around

[Edit]

P.S. One of the joys of the Pre2 is the fact that you can have wireless (inductive) charging on the Touchstone dock. If just clicks in place onto the magnetic stand. No cables, no broken USB ports. While another negative about the Pixi is that if you handle it with greasy hands, the rubberized back will peel off after six months to a year... not very pretty. The Pre will never do that

Pixi: 600Mhz CPU, 256Mb RAM, 320 400 plastic screen, 8 GB Flash, no WiFi, 2.0 megapixel camera, no wireless charging.
    Pre2:.. 1Ghz CPU, 512Mb RAM, 320 480 glass screen, 16 GB Flash, WiFi, 5.0 megapixel camera, Touchstone charging

The Pre2 will also have Flash in the browser, and Skype... Not trying to sell you anything, just showing you the greener pastures
    Last edited by Remy X; 11/02/2014 at 10:18 PM.
    elgrillo75 and jamiejoe123 like this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Yes! You can definitely use the Pixi, regardless of what's happening at HP right now, and we will be there for you every step of the way.

However, i find the Sprint Pixi to be a scrawny piece of equipment.. dangerously low on RAM, has a CPU that's a generation behind the one in the Pre and as such, unable to run some of the compiled apps, and does not even have a WiFi module.

You can have much much better if you buy yourself a Sprint Pre and a Pre 2 (AT&T or Verizon, any flavor) and swap the Sprint radio into the Pre2. When you reflash it with a special combined ROM, you will have a "FrankenPre", a fast, modern phone with a larger, glass screen, WiFi, double the amount of RAM and a newer version of Palm's webOS, while still running on Sprint. If you look at the specs, you literally get twice the phone if you do that. If you have any questions, please ask. There are many of us here with the FrankenPre as a daily driver, and for most, it's quite reliable once you get through the initial setup hurdles

But welcome anyway, hope to see you around
    Thank you my friend!

I'll look into the Pre. I do dig the layout on the Pixi but understand why it's not the best choice.
    Will I have any issues activating the phone now that the App catalog is closed?

Sorry for the newbie questions!

Thanks again!
    Pixi has an available Touchstone back too.

As for activating it - I believe you can create a new Palm Profile until Jan 15th, which will make setting it up a bit easier. I've generally had no problems activating them on Sprint using the online swap tool. Worst case you might have to chat with an agent and give them the MEID. Welcome to webOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Pixi has an available Touchstone back too.

As for activating it - I believe you can create a new Palm Profile until Jan 15th, which will make setting it up a bit easier. I've generally had no problems activating them on Sprint using the online swap tool. Worst case you might have to chat with an agent and give them the MEID. Welcome to webOS!
    I know. But it's still the same rubberized coating that will have the tendency to peel off, unless your hands are always clean and dry

@OP,
    And if you have to erase, reflash and start over after Jan 15th, bypassing activation is still quite simple. You dial in 911, but rather than calling, you erase that and type in a standard "devmode" code, which will let you into the phone without a Palm Profile
    Last edited by Remy X; 11/02/2014 at 11:03 PM.
    That method only works on webOS 2.0 and up, so I didn't mention it. I wanted to link to a thread about devicetool.jar, but that world is changing and really needs an updated article written.
    Remy X likes this.
    Welcome to the forum.

I will not be so quick to suggest Frankenpre to someone who sounds like a very basic phone user. Sometimes these guys take their advanced knowledge of webOS for granted. It's not a cake walk to build one but it is doable at home by a person very motivated to use webOS but stay with sprint.

The pixi is a very basic phone, even among webOS devices as it's a v.1.45 OS and there is more available for v.2.x devices. But you can still configure it with a profile before year's end. You can also bypass some hassle by taking steps to "bypass activation." There's a unique procedure for 1.x vs. 2.x, no simple "devmode" you may read about more often. But it is possible to do it and skip some registration procedures that are about to become obsolete at end of year anyway.

The webOS devices require some TLC to achieve their potential. Installing Preware, the home brew catalog; installing patches and preparing for self hosted backup of apps and recovery files.

Everything is covered here and there's plenty of help. Just know that you're getting into something that requires special attention and at the moment we are fighting a deadline preparing for hp's server shutdown. Read a bunch and get caught up so you can prepare your pixi as well as decide if you want to delve into frankenpre conversion.

P.s. my techie friends love ribbing me about my "fossil rock" phone as well. It comes with the territory. But it's simple enough to point out that their phone are just now catching up to mine. One of my new favorite replies is "oh how convenient to have sms and Google chat messages in one conversation, thanks to android's latest version of hangouts. It only took 5 years to catch up to webOS on that feature"
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 11/03/2014 at 12:41 AM.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  8.    #8  
    You all are wonderful! Thank you for this help!

I'm completely willing and excited to learn more.
    Is there a guide or is it best to just start searching this forum?

Looking into finding a pre and pre 2 for the radio board swap.

Sounds like a great adventure!

Thanks again!
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    There are guides here to prepare phones for the hp service shutdown. Read pivotCE linked posts for that summary.

Then there are guides for building a frankenpre like Alan just posted. These are old posts but still usable.

I have a thread about my last conversion here: No matter what u hear in there; no matter how cruelly I beg u; DO NOT OPEN THIS DOOR!

The video i watched in that thread was very helpful. I hope it's still available. Check that out for a preview of what must be done.

Pretty cool that someone wants to build a frankenpre TODAY. Really speaks of how intriguing this phone is to people who give it a chance.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Remy X likes this.