Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    --- Plan goes here! ---
    Update 3:
    Rough plan:
    Try to specify exactly what will go and when (will free apps be available until 2015-01-15 ? What of support and dev sites?) - Me

Create searchable/sortable listing of the app catalogue (CSV file?) - DONE
    - I have a partial and dated list of 6000+ apps details here: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3426664

Detailed 'last chance' guide for users to download and back up the apps they want - TBA (group effort)

Possibly mirror/download support sites - Aressel / others

Annotate catalogue list for apps that are saved, will be lost, developer contacts. - TBA

Contact developers and request a move to the app gallery or other means of availability - TBA (likely an organised group effort.)

Update the app list as information comes in - TBA

Possible mass app download to an archive

Consideration of redistribution, rehosting possibility / legal issues.

Update 2:
    HP to Shut Down Catalog and Cloud Services | pivotCE
    Ah, there's a timeline:
    10/15/14 Announcement to users and developers - DONE!

11/1/14 New app purchases end -DONE (you can still re-download what you have after this, but can you download free apps? -YES)
    So that's only 15 days to BUY EVERYTHING! ;-) Don't forget to use THIS to retain the installation packages in case you need them in future.

11/10/14 App update submissions end (Are there any devs hoping to push an update?) -DONE

1/15/15 Public shutdown of services - DONE on the 15th of April 2015
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/24/2015 at 04:13 AM.
    shicky256 likes this.
  2.    #2  
    Maybe it will all be fixed for us and this thread will be irrelevant, but if ever the community pulled together, now is the time.

Let's make a plan. There's a space above to fill.

What do we need to get and to do?
    How can we do it?
    When do we need it done by (the 15th being your final deadline)
    Who is volunteering?

Post your suggestions, ideas, links etc. below.

For those just stumbling on this, it is about:
    HP webOS Shutdown
    FAQ
    HP to Shut Down Catalog and Cloud Services | pivotCE
    HP is shutting down webOS cloud services - including backups, device set-up, and the App Catalog - on 15 January 2015 | webOS Nation
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/15/2014 at 11:31 PM.
    Early bird...

I didn't find out until an hour later, but in any case, count me in.
    Here's my own thread, which more or less mirrors yours:

http://forums.webosnation.com/open-w...paid-apps.html
    My plan is to make a registry of all popular paid apps, and post the list here on the forum, for us to "vouch" for whatever paid app we have an ipk for... hopefully at least two people per app.

And the best way to accomplish this would be for us to build and test an app that would, much like the Preware app be able to "see" what apps are installed from the catalog (not sideloaded), and then allow us to either request an ipk (if the full install process is unavoidable, first make a backup of the installed copy), or if the user has a "rare" removed catalog app, the harvester app would grab the postinst script along with the app directory and whatever is needed, which could be rolled into an ipk manually later

Finally, i propose a "harvester club" where someone could contribute a disused device (i can wipe and offer my TP for that purpose), and the guys who have left the platform but still have Palm Profiles that contain paid apps can contribute their logins with written permission. So if they no longer have a Palm device on hand, they can still serve as "keepers of the flame", with their membership in the app registry

That said, you might all be a little surprised to see me, after i've been gone for over a year. My sincerest apologies to everyone. After all, i'm the guy who was working on designing an app catalog to replace the one currently being decommissioned, so it's ironic in a bad way. Yes. I'll take whatever blame you've got, i take responsibility. I've been slowly working towards resolving my mental health struggles, so that kind of means that once again, whatever little free time i have i will be able to contribute here, and fill my obligations as a developer, more than i have in the past, with my graveyard of unfinished and unpublished patches. Cheers to all who have been taking care of tech support calls in the months i've been away. You guys are irreplaceable and will always have a special place in my heart.
    Last edited by Remy X; 10/16/2014 at 02:00 AM.
    shicky256 likes this.
    remember that an application when you install a ipk builds support it. that can help us a lot

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    My idea is someone creating an "app dump" server, and starting a "WebOS App program" where users can sign up, and are assigned a certain number of free apps to download and then upload to the server.

NOTE: That "someone" is not me. I lack the planning abilities and webserver. I will contribute a few bucks to whoever makes this happen, however.
    Last edited by shicky256; 10/16/2014 at 05:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by shicky256 View Post
    My idea is someone creating an "app dump" server, and starting a "WebOS App program" where users can sign up, and are assigned a certain number of free apps to download and then upload to the server.

NOTE: That "someone" is not me. I lack the planning abilities and webserver. I will contribute a few bucks to whoever makes this happen, however.
    That sounds nice, but in practice, treads too close to a "free-for-all piracy" service model. It's best to just salvage all the apps we can, and then we'll sit down and figure out what to do next
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    That sounds nice, but in practice, treads too close to a "free-for-all piracy" service model. It's best to just salvage all the apps we can, and then we'll sit down and figure out what to do next
    Speaking as someone that has purchased at least 7 webos phones, 4 tablets, a dozen touchstones/stands and has spent easily hundreds on software for these devices a "free for all piracy model" for webos at this point is no worse morally that "pirating" Commodore 64 or 8 bit Atari software. IT'S DEAD JIM, and there is no money left to be made for software vendors in this market. I understand some companies may need to protect their IP for other reasons and Mobile Nations probably can't afford to dabble in it, but I'll lose no sleep over downloading a multi-gig torrent of cracked Webos apps in the future. It will only be for nostalgia's sake since the phones will have no practical purpose soon.

Now to go find an Android replacement for my Pre3 (which is still my daily driver)..
    Morally, yeah... but i don't want the FBI involved... #trolls
    Morally, yeah... but i don't want the FBI involved... #trolls
    I suspect the FBI has better things to do than pursue users of a 'dead' OS. Then again these days, I could be mistaken.

(I say this jokingly but still...)
    Veganspider likes this.
    Off topic, Remy X! I just tried messaging you but your inbox is full. Welcome back! I thought you were dead! I'm very glad you're still here.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Off topic, Remy X! I just tried messaging you but your inbox is full. Welcome back! I thought you were dead! I'm very glad you're still here.
    Sorry, i'll take care of it soon...

TTYL
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
    I suspect the FBI has better things to do than pursue users of a 'dead' OS. Then again these days, I could be mistaken.

(I say this jokingly but still...)
    Never underestimate somebody's desire to move up the career ladder
  14.    #15  
    Hopefully I can nail this down better by the weekend - this is just off the top of my head. Feel free to correct.

What do we have?
    • We have the app catalogue with the ability to buy and re-download purchased apps.
    • We have profile back up that can restore messages, contacts and other stuff - I need to check exactly what is backed up
    • Remote wipe ability.

What can we salvage or replicate?
    • We have the app gallery here and it feeds to Preware. There is no payment system, but anyone can post a donation link. Some chance of income is better than none, so it would make sense for most devs to make the move if we can get word to them all.

If there is a way to index the app catalogue so we have a long, but easily readable list, that would help to gather contact data for a dev mailing list and for users to choose apps to download. It's likely impractical for each of us to download everything, but realistically, we don't need everything - even the webOS catalogue has some apps that won't be missed! I see the proposals for some kind of mass download to an app 'escrow' store and that could be interesting if it works out. There's no real reason why some third party couldn't supply a catalogue with payment options in the future - probably for LuneOS, but legacy compatibility could be included.
    • Back up and restore can be done manually without a Palm profile. There's a good chance this cloud functionality will return to LuneOS, but you will likely have to host it yourself (e.g. with owncloud). Again, Legacy compatibility could potentially be added.
    • Remote wipe will be gone, but see above. Maybe it could come back.

What don't we know?
    • What will happen to HP/Palm support and developer sites? Will they also be closed?
    • What about PalmOS users? Will that material also vanish?

So I will try to specify the known facts and answer some questions.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/16/2014 at 11:06 PM.
    cbosdell likes this.
    Perfect for a rough draft

What's backed up to the cloud:

Memos, Contacts, online service logins like Google (for e-mail, calendar and contacts), App Catalog purchase lists, some LunaSysMgr config files.

What's not:
    call logs, browser histories, preware app install list. The saved settings of many apps

We definitely need to mirror all the dev and recovery materials... all doctors, manuals, open source packages, SDKs, SDK VM images, online dev documantation (Mojo and Enyo1), which is definitely on the way out the door since LG has no use for it.

The webOS 3.0 doctor is especially valuable, since it's been the only way to rebuild the partition table. Maybe that functionality has been duplicated in some Homebrew tool, but still.

For everything we download and archive, we will need at least two people getting a copy of the same app, three is best. We will be creating app lists with checksums for each file and usernames for everyone that has grabbed a copy. Paid apps will require a lot of collaboration, but for free apps, i suggest doing "sweeps" of each category with several devices. For example, i can grab all the free games with the Touchpad, and again with a Pre+. Somebody could do the same with a 2.x phone (Pre3 vs Veer might also yield some differences?)

It's a lot of work to grab everything, so we should start with "creme de la creme", but if i can automate sweeping up free apps, i'd do that and we can sort junk later

And we should start by creating a database of app names, screenshots and reviews, and pin our downloads to that. If the worst comes to worst and we miss some paid app we can still reach out to pirates and webOS <redacted> and they might have a copy.

I strongly suggest reaching out to ex-webOS users and "harvesting" their app purchases on specially-configured devices
    shicky256 likes this.
    [Cross-posted from the other thread]

Count me in to help however. I've just finished re-downloading about 120 free and paid apps, and already have a backup of the dev stuff (SDKs and images). I'll be working on the doctors over the next bit.

I'll see about dumping the website over the weekend if it is feasible. hopefully a wget recursive download should do the trick...
    Developer of FeedSpider - The best webOS newsreader, supporting AOL Reader, BazQux Reader, Feedly, InoReader, OwnCloud News, Tiny Tiny RSS, and The Old Reader, with more to come.
    My plan for myself, as of this moment, a plan for the evening...

Create a database and use the App Catalog's internal API to request a complete list of all apps, all webOS versions (use a UserAgent spoof), and for each app, collect all metadata including name, description, images, ratings/reviews, categories.

This will be a complete dump of everything but the apps.

Next, i'll try to automate the download of all free apps for all webOS versions. I expect some hurdles, but i'll do my best there to get a complete server dump of anything that is freely available

As i do that, i'll make a clickable list of all paid apps, rated from high to low and post it here, so that we could start "pinning" available IPKs to that list and coordinating something

Sometime later, i will work on a "harvester" config for devices, where old profiles can be entered for a quick download of purchased apps

The obstacles:

I'll need to free up some space on my laptop before i can set up a DB. Doable, tonight.

My TP bootloops, but i'll need to do a recovery more backup before attempting any "repairs", because it hasn't been able to sync with the Profile server since last March, and and my last manual backup was two weeks before it failed (TMC error > freeze > manual reboot, now stuck at logo), haven't had the time to sit down with it and fix.

My Pre+ works, but after a bad drop, an internal connector has popped loose and so the gesture area no longer works. Can (rarely) reboot if you hold it wrong.'

. . .

So i have the hardware, just need time and concentration
    Malvados de hp. Pero hay un Dios. Webos no morira.
    That said, you might all be a little surprised to see me, after i've been gone for over a year. My sincerest apologies to everyone. After all, i'm the guy who was working on designing an app catalog to replace the one currently being decommissioned, so it's ironic in a bad way. Yes. I'll take whatever blame you've got, i take responsibility. I've been slowly working towards resolving my mental health struggles, so that kind of means that once again, whatever little free time i have i will be able to contribute here, and fill my obligations as a developer, more than i have in the past, with my graveyard of unfinished and unpublished patches. Cheers to all who have been taking care of tech support calls in the months i've been away. You guys are irreplaceable and will always have a special place in my heart.
    Just a bump off topic. I don't think anyone will blame you. I certainly don't/won't! I've been in the same place. I would say "struggles" is a gentle way to put it; hell starts to hit the surface, for me. Feel free to DM me if you ever need anything. I know I've been going through similar, hence my very slow progress with anything related to LuneOS...
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Remy X likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast