Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By highandheyer
  1.    #1  
    The last days I had to wipe and doctor my Veer and reinstall all apps. Since no doctor ever got an update I had to fight the expired app catalog certificate. There're some threads about the issue and the free app store update available in the catalog. Unfortunately the known workarounds are a matter of luck: If I set the phone's clock in the past before 2013/07/23 all update download attempts from the store site failed and with the real date the downloaded package failed to install due to the certificate. It took me quiet some time to change the phone's date at the right moment just between download and installation. That was very annoying.

But with an open device connected to your computer there's an easy way:

1. Use WOSQI to transfer the attached new certificate file (PalmWebOS.pem) to your phone e.g. to /home/root. Remove the .txt extension before. Or simply use the USB drive.
    2. Login to the phone via terminal (WOSQI, Noverterm) and go to the directory where you stored the new certificate e.g. cd /home/root or cd /media/internal for the USB drive.
    3. You need write access to /etc/ssl, so check via mount command if /dev/mapper/store-root is mounted read only (ro) or writable (rw) at /. If necessary remount via mount -o rw,remount /
    4. Issue the following commands:
      chmod a-x,go-w PalmWebOS.pem (may fail on FAT32 USB drive)
      cp PalmWebOS.pem /etc/ssl/certs/trustedcerts/
      cp PalmWebOS.pem /ect/ssl/certs/appsigning-bundle.crt
    5. If you needed to remount in step 3 revert via mount -o ro,remount /

That's all. No need to install the catalog fix from the app store anymore or fiddle with the phone's date. Just install or update your apps via the built-in software manager.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by highandheyer; 02/12/2014 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Last point at list corrected, New transfer possibility added
    Now that is pretty intense for an old guy with no computer training. Will that also work on a tp?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Ross View Post
    Now that is pretty intense for an old guy with no computer training. Will that also work on a tp?
    Since I didn't get a TP from the fire sale in Germany I can't test it. But from what I known I would say WebOS 3 wasn't changed that much at this point. So I strongly believe it will work as well on a clean TP. Just give it a try. If you save the original PalmWebOS.pem and appbundle-signing.crt before the situation can't get worse. :-)
    And if you save the certificate in /media/internal can't you import it with the Certificate Manager (in menu Device Info) ?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by poehoes View Post
    And if you save the certificate in /media/internal can't you import it with the Certificate Manager (in menu Device Info) ?
    Good question! I had the same idea after writing my How To. :-) Unfortunately I didn't thought that way when restoring my Veer. But nobody else mentioned it in the threads and posts about the app store certificate issue. The common work around to set the phone's date to the past was, as described, a matter of luck.

After all I have to confess that I do not understand the certificate store on WebOS. It is surely based on OpenSSL, but there exists two stores. There is the pre installed one and configured into OpenSSL under /usr/lib/ssl, which is a link to /etc/ssl. And WebOS seems to use the root certificates from there. But I never succeeded to install my own root CA in the common way (copy cert, make link to hash) to this place!? There is a uncommon prebuilt CA DB named calinks.tgz that might need an update but due to my lack of tar skills I wasn't able to reproduce the DB structure.

A second certificate store is created by the certificate manager from Device Info menu under /var/ssl. Your own certificates go there. So you could surely install PalmWebOS.pem this way. But I believe it won't be used for the app store since there's a freshly created copy of /etc/ssl/certs/appsigning-bundle.pem under /var/ssl/appsigning. With the built in certificate manager you're unable to place a certificate there.

So feel free to give it a try, maybe I'm wrong and even the app store uses user installed certificates from /var/ssl/certs. But In this case I would wonder what the /var/ssl/appsigning/appsigning-bundle.pem copy is about. In theory I could test it with reverting to the original certificate but I won't mess up my phone after the hard fight. So it's your turn.
    GreenHex likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by highandheyer View Post
    The last days I had to wipe and doctor my Veer and reinstall all apps. Since no doctor ever got an update I had to fight the expired app catalog certificate. There're some threads about the issue and the free app store update available in the catalog. Unfortunately the known workarounds are a matter of luck: If I set the phone's clock in the past before 2013/07/23 all update download attempts from the store site failed and with the real date the downloaded package failed to install due to the certificate. It took me quiet some time to change the phone's date at the right moment just between download and installation. That was very annoying.

But with an open device connected to your computer there's an easy way:

1. Use WOSQI to transfer the attached new certificate file (PalmWebOS.pem) to your phone e.g. to /home/root. Remove the .txt extension before. Or simply use the USB drive.
    2. Login to the phone via terminal (WOSQI, Noverterm) and go to the directory where you stored the new certificate e.g. cd /home/root or cd /media/internal for the USB drive.
    3. You need write access to /etc/ssl, so check via mount command if /dev/mapper/store-root is mounted read only (ro) or writable (rw) at /. If necessary remount via mount -o rw,remount /
    4. Issue the following commands:
      chmod a-x,go-w PalmWebOS.pem (may fail on FAT32 USB drive)
      cp PalmWebOS.pem /etc/ssl/certs/trustedcerts/
      cp PalmWebOS.pem /ect/ssl/certs/appsigning-bundle.crt
    5. If you needed to remount in step 3 revert via mount -o ro,remount /

That's all. No need to install the catalog fix from the app store anymore or fiddle with the phone's date. Just install or update your apps via the built-in software manager.
    Hello,
    I updated my certificate and now shows expiration of 2037. I still can't access HP App Catalog nor System Updates. I dont care about system updates but I want HP App Catalog. When I open the App, big circle keeps on rotating and just hangs there for hours. Does not do anything meaning does not open the app nor gives me error message. Any suggestions. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hptouchpaduser1 View Post
    Hello,
    I updated my certificate and now shows expiration of 2037. I still can't access HP App Catalog nor System Updates. I dont care about system updates but I want HP App Catalog. When I open the App, big circle keeps on rotating and just hangs there for hours. Does not do anything meaning does not open the app nor gives me error message. Any suggestions. Thanks.
    It's over. HP closed the App Store back in April 2015.
    The only way to get Apps (and support) is Preware / developer.
    Install Preware
    You can view the feeds here: preware.pivotce.com
    We are trying to get developers to release their apps to alternative stores
    DEVELOPERS! Post here if your apps will be available after the HP Catalogue closes
    You can try contacting the developers of the apps you can't find.